Solved Is this fixable?

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
If you have seen my previous post My Quads Hate Me then you will now know the reason of that problem. One of those little chip things came off the fc (see pic). I am attempting to salvage it. So is there any way to fix it?

Attachments

• WIN_20210420_17_37_52_Pro_LI.jpg
    WIN_20210420_17_37_52_Pro_LI.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
is there a way to fix it? maybe... your photo makes it so I can't see the pads well enough
can _you_ fix it? do you know how to solder surface mount components, know what part that is and believe you can solder on a new part? [and are sure that is the only damage... depending on the part, powering the FC with it missing could burn out other parts]

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
bud you've got to be a surgeon to be able to solder that...........
but hey be a surgeon for a while and try
oh wait i thought the main computer chip had come off...
that is absolutely fixable.. if you have the part that came off...
i can't tell but that looks like either a resistor or diode.
if you can get a high quality pic i could tell, because a diode must be soldered on the right way round or it won't work

GrizWiz

Elite member
If you have got the parts still you can use a bit of flux on the board. The flux will hold the chip in place and make the solder go where it is supposed to. I would personally use a hot air blowing soldering gun to do the soldering. If you don't have the chip you are out of luck.

Piotrsko

Master member
Its a resistor. Can reflow with a hot air gun and a focus tip, but it's probably harder to get a new resistor than reattach. Could conventional solder it with a low watt really fine tip or a piece of bare solid 22 gauge wrapped on the iron tip

Piotrsko

Master member
Well I guessed since there were a couple right there and they did similair things they were probably all the same value. Seems to be a trend in micro electronics anymore

Liam B

Well don't throw it out. You never know when a similar component that has that resistor will blow, giving you a supply of them to use to fix this board.