Is This Lipo about to die?

con244

Image0161.jpg Image0162.jpg
Hi all, I have had a new experience today. I noticed that this lipo, which I was using to test a newly wound motor has started to puff up. The puffiness seems to be just like gas under the battery cover. My question to you guys is, has it gone too far? The motor being tested cooked itself but not the esc and I think that caused the battery to overload. Should I dispose of it or could I continue to use it in its slightly expanded state. Haven't tried recharging it yet not sure if I am game. :confused:
Cheers
Con

Last edited:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Most likely yes. When they puff like this it is the beginning of the end.
Even if you are able to safely charge it (doubtful it is safe to charge) it will never be as good as new.

Find out what the regulations are regarding disposing lipo's in your area.
Here it is OK to put 'em in the regular trash once they have been discharged.
I hook 'em up (outside) to a 12v turnsignal bulb to discharge them, slowly but completely...

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
About to die ?
Already dead ..

Don't pinch it !!
Like JPN said, use a 12V car light bulb, discharge it completly and dispose it.

I had this before and was uncarefull.
It fell on the floor, teared open and fire & smoke !

Now I use 35-70C nano's only.
No more puffed up lipo's.
Mark.

con244

Right! As I thought, its a potential fire hazard/ball so I'll discharge it and dispose of it. I don't think it would fit in any of my planes anymore anyway. Thanks for your opinions guys
Con

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Play safe!

Well as safe as you can anyway.
I got clubbed in the head by a combat plane the other day, that was fun.
I own part of the blame because I retrieved my plane and launched it and was in the field taking my time getting back to the flight line. One of our lower hours flyers thought he was going over me, boom, I saw stars...
I'm glad it was foam, glad the motor was in the back :)

con244

ouch! Do you have a dent the shape of the plane in you head? You could post a pic and we could have a competition trying to guess what the plane was:D Battery is well on its way to lipo heaven, discharging as we type
Con

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
ouch! Do you have a dent the shape of the plane in you head? You could post a pic and we could have a competition trying to guess what the plane was:D Battery is well on its way to lipo heaven, discharging as we type
Con

hahaha- didn't leave a mark :)
Got pretty lucky, it was a 58 inch flying wing, never saw it coming but my guess is he was moving pretty fast, brought me to my knees.

It's very seldom we actually hurt anybody, even with our larger events, just kinda reminds you to play safe.
Last year we had a couple of guys that needed stitches (one of them was me) but those were self inflicted.

con244

Maybe this'll have to become standard flying gear?
Con

Attachments

• helmet.jpg
    helmet.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 53

fred0000

I wouldn't call that "slightly expanded" I would retire that pack.

I use "slightly expanded" lipos, that one is FAR past "slightly"

con244

no worries Fred it's long gone. Discharged, leads cut of and disposed off. Funny how it blew up like that all of a sudden.
Con