Help! Is this LIPO safe?

MadMech86

Had a pretty good crash this weekend and one of my batteries got a little crunched.
4FF1B129-2A68-466D-8E44-6B3632174348.jpeg
BA0A29FD-88AD-4F5D-8493-CE7F52A63A1D.jpeg

I took the outer plastic off to inspect (it looked worse on the outside than inside). It’s been storage charged for 24 hours and the cells are all still perfectly balanced. I don’t want to dispose of it if I don’t have to, but I also don’t want a potential lipo fire. What should I do?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree, nothing wrong with this battery. However, a better question, is any Lipo safe?
Myself I don’t think any Lipo is safe. I always charge and store my lipo’s in a flame prof container like this one.
I cover the batteries with a ziplock bag filled with sand. If there is a fire, the bag will melt and allow the sand to fall on the battery.

MadMech86

Very true @Merv, I do store my batteries in a similar box. Thank you everyone for the quick responses! My next questions is: if everything is fine, what is the best way to wrap it back up?

Keno

By the way if you want to recover it with shrink tube after your inspection and your a happy with it you can get battery shrink covering for it from Aloft Hobbies

MadMech86

By the way if you want to recover it with shrink tube after your inspection and your a happy with it you can get battery shrink covering for it from Aloft Hobbies
What size battery shrink covering would you recommend for a 2200 3s?

Keno

What size battery shrink covering would you recommend for a 2200 3s?
Measure your battery width plus depth (thickness) in MM that would be the approximate size you would need for a tight fit so little bit larger should be considered. It shrinks about 1/2 it size. Refer: https://alofthobbies.com/accessories/misc.html?p=2.
Just a note, look for swelling of the battery's cells that would be a indication that it needs replacing, however many flyer still fly with them, one of the best ways to determine a battery condition is to measure its internal resistance. If it is too high its not going give you the performance needed nor you want. Most new good battery charges and battery measurement meters have this ability. For what it worth happy flying.

Last edited:

Wildthing

Legendary member
I have a few squashed batteries especially from combat fighting, the little squish doesn't bother me. I check the cells and if all are pretty even I do a slow charge and then even a balance charge and if that all goes good I throw it into the plane and go. If flight times are about the same keep using it but if the flight times are really short then I discard the battery. Or I take apart these dead batteries and figure out which is the bad cell and eliminate it and with other old batteries and their good cells build a new one. I just use duct tape to hold the pack together.

KSP_CPA

Agreed on the checking of voltage for each cell after your next flight to ensure consistent drain. I don't like more than a .10 difference between any two cells after a 2/3 discharge.

Also after a short flight, or even during your next charge cycle, check the temperature on the damaged and undamaged portions of the battery and see if it is consistent.

I don't take risks with LiPos. A $25 new battery is much cheaper than the consequences of a LiPo accident.

Keno

. but if the flight times are really short then I discard the battery.

That is what the internal resistance measurement will tell you. But your observation of flight performance degradation is good way also and noted. Individual cell measurement is also very important as is keeping cells in balance. My worst worry is a fire that could be ignited and grow. Keep it safe My friends or you may need deep pockets. Just a word from a safety officer, happy flying.

MadMech86

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate all the help. I will continue to monitor the battery: watching for swelling, temperatures differences and voltage levels in the cells.