Is this mini speedster Under Powered ??

Hi All,
I had build a mini speedster from scratch, build was fine, i can see that when i toss the plane it glides bit smooth. But not able to keep it up in air. I am using 2S 500maH, Emax 1806 2380Kv 5030 prop and 3.7g servos. What you guys flying with?

Attachments

• 20150511_205745_1.jpg
    20150511_205745_1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Torf

First, I assume you have calibrated the ESC. If you aren't at full power, it's hard to judge it's potential performance.

Secondly, I would guess that it is under-propped. With that motor and a 2S setup, you might want to try a 6x3 minimum.

When I got that motor for my tiny trainers, I tested it on 2S with 6x3, 7x4, and 8x4, and they all were within normal limits on 2S. If I recall correctly, the 6x3 drew less than 4 Amps, and 8x4 drew a little less than 7 Amps with a full battery. Don't try 3S with the 7" or 8" props though. I suspect that would damage the motor.

Since the 6x3 pulls the Tiny Trainer along OK on 2S, that's what I have been using. Power is definitely not over the top though. A 7x4 is much better power wise, but flight times suffer on my 450mAh battery. About 5-6 minutes is where I stop, and I am not full throttle the whole time.

Last edited:
thank you for the reply and detailed info..., yes I calibrated the ESC. Since the motor had only use 5030 max and i had spare 5030 i went with that setup,,, and also ordered 3s 500mah.... :(, ,, so now i guess from your reply, i can use 3S/5030 combination, but not 3S and 6030 .... and BTW initially i thought of using 9g servo i had spare, but was not able to fit in the fuselage and ended up using servo from mini breeze ... Any trick on using 9g's ?

Torf

Actually you should be able to use the 6x3 with a 3S setup, no problem. I think that is what the standard Tiny Trainer is supposed to be flown on when in "higher performance" configuration. Going over that might be pushing the limits of the motor.

The wingspan on the Mini Speedster is only 1/2 that of the Tiny Trainer, so there will probably be some torque roll or something added.

gr8 thank you I will try as of now with the 3S and 5030 as its available, i dont want too much power. And also another question, I have bought the FT 22 kit initially from FT, and it had lot of issues to get it hand launched... but now its sorted out. But in that process i got that damaged .. and just getting rebuilt with scratch part, and also have BloodyWonder plans, of those which one do you consider easy flyer ?

ZoomNBoom

2 questions that need to be asked. Whats the C rating of that battery? And are you sure the prop is turning in the right direction?

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
2 questions that need to be asked. Whats the C rating of that battery? And are you sure the prop is turning in the right direction?
Yes, from your picture your prop seems turning clockwise when looking from the front of the airplane. The original FT plan use a ccw prop and a right offset motor angle. With a cw prop you must reverse the offset angle to the left (that is what I used, as I had only cw prop at the time). I made 2 mini scout powered by emax 1806 / 5030 prop / 2S 800mAh battery, fly no problem.

PhenomPilot

The 1806 motor and 5030 will power it no problem on 2s. It gets sporty with a 6030 or my favorite 5040. I think the others nailed it with the prop direction though. Make sure the numbers on the prop are facing forward and you are producing thrust. I removed the off set from my powerpod so I can use both direction props without issue. Just put plastic washers or a shim under the motor mount to get the proper angle for the direction of prop you are using. The thrust angle is important on these little planes otherwise they don't fly well.

3.7g servo should be fine. I would probably try that first over a 9g servo.

Yes, from your picture your prop seems turning clockwise when looking from the front of the airplane. The original FT plan use a ccw prop and a right offset motor angle. With a cw prop you must reverse the offset angle to the left (that is what I used, as I had only cw prop at the time). I made 2 mini scout powered by emax 1806 / 5030 prop / 2S 800mAh battery, fly no problem.

Yes this motor turn clock wise, and use a CW prop. So i will change the motor wires and then put a CCW prop. Whcih should be fine rt?

The 1806 motor and 5030 will power it no problem on 2s. It gets sporty with a 6030 or my favorite 5040. I think the others nailed it with the prop direction though. Make sure the numbers on the prop are facing forward and you are producing thrust. I removed the off set from my powerpod so I can use both direction props without issue. Just put plastic washers or a shim under the motor mount to get the proper angle for the direction of prop you are using. The thrust angle is important on these little planes otherwise they don't fly well.

3.7g servo should be fine. I would probably try that first over a 9g servo.

thanks, I see from your signature that u have bloodwonder, how does that fly, is it a beginner plane?

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
Yes this motor turn clock wise, and use a CW prop. So i will change the motor wires and then put a CCW prop. Whcih should be fine rt?

Both fine, as long as:
- if you use a cw prop, you have a motor angle offset to the left.
- if you use a ccw prop, you have a motor angle offset to the right (as original FT plan).
So if you build with the original right motor angle offset, you must use a ccw prop.

Both fine, as long as:
- if you use a cw prop, you have a motor angle offset to the left.
- if you use a ccw prop, you have a motor angle offset to the right (as original FT plan).
So if you build with the original right motor angle offset, you must use a ccw prop.

oh okay,,, How much should the wings be offset too ? i guess towards right ?

PhenomPilot

Wings should not be offset. Motor offset (right/left) is to help compensate for motor torque.

The bloody wonder was my second plane and is a blast to fly. It flies a little different compared to the minis or ft flyer. It has a fairly neutral stability almost like a flying wing. It can handle quite a range of motors. I usually run a 2212 1000-1400kv motor as they are cheap and I can use my 3s 1000mah through 2200mah batteries depending on wind and what is charged.

i read some where that it was just a bit offset to right i guess, mine currently has 0.5cm more to right when seen from tail side. And about landing gear i used the push rods sold at FT, is that fine? i feel its too flexible ....

I have the FT-22 now, and the parts of the bloody wonder match the same,so i might make that some time..... How it handles hard landing and crash ?

Last edited:

PhenomPilot

You might be right about the wing. I built it when it first came out so it has been a while. I don't use the landing gear because they don't work on grass and it adds some weight. I wouldn't bother unless you are flying indoors or landing on nice pavement or cement.

The bloody wonder is pretty durable. I have crashed many of times and usually just put a new prop on and go.

thank you for the info, so if i use the park flyer 370 motor(suppo) on Bloody Wonder, is it okay, i saw it takes off vertically does it do with this 370 motor ?

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
thanks guys, finally i was able to fly it with 3S 5030 setup.

Great news.
The Bloody Wonder makes a perfect 2nd plane. if powered enough it's a rocketship, if low powered it can be handle by a total beginner, one of my favorites FT planes. At about 130W (the small "blue wonder" motor used in the FT show is 80W max if I'm not mistaken, no vertical t/o is possible), your 370 motor seems in between, so maybe no vertical take off (not so sure about that, you could tell us after you build it :D)

You might be right about the wing. I built it when it first came out so it has been a while. I don't use the landing gear because they don't work on grass and it adds some weight. I wouldn't bother unless you are flying indoors or landing on nice pavement or cement.

The bloody wonder is pretty durable. I have crashed many of times and usually just put a new prop on and go.

I removed the landing gear yesterday, actually it came of after a crash(multiple). But after that the plane flies more easy and responsive. :)

Great news.
The Bloody Wonder makes a perfect 2nd plane. if powered enough it's a rocketship, if low powered it can be handle by a total beginner, one of my favorites FT planes. At about 130W (the small "blue wonder" motor used in the FT show is 80W max if I'm not mistaken, no vertical t/o is possible), your 370 motor seems in between, so maybe no vertical take off (not so sure about that, you could tell us after you build it :D)

Sure, I have already completed the build, but just waiting for the free time to remove the motor from other plane and fix it in bloodywonder. :)