• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Is this the correct way to check the voltage of each cell with a multimeter ?

I would like to check my cheap Lipo chargers are charging my 3s to the right voltage.
And also the right storage charge (about 3.85 per cell) .
To test each cell do i use the multimeter on the pins in the order i have pictured ? Image1.jpg

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
I would like to check my cheap Lipo chargers are charging my 3s to the right voltage.
And also the right storage charge (about 3.85 per cell) .
To test each cell do i use the multimeter on the pins in the order i have pictured ?
That's correct but there is an easier way. I buy these voltage alarms by the 4 pack for just under $10. Carry spares in my flight bags and use them on every flight, even if I have voltage telemetry from the model.

Low Voltage Battery Alarm - Example From Amazon - 2 pcs - $6.99

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Using your multimeter is a great way to verify that your charger is doing what is says its doing. If it's off by a little bit, take note of the difference. Once you have a good idea of your chargers accuracy, you can check the voltages per cell against one of the battery voltage alarms mentioned above. Once you have a good feel for the voltage alarms accuracy, you won't need to use your multimeter.

There are several different voltage alarms/battery checkers available. Anything along these lines works well.
https://store.flitetest.com/dys-digital-lipo-voltage-checker-w-warning-alarm-budepb-0002/p360824

That's correct but there is an easier way. I buy these voltage alarms by the 4 pack for just under $10. Carry spares in my flight bags and use them on every flight, even if I have voltage telemetry from the model.

Low Voltage Battery Alarm - Example From Amazon - 2 pcs - $6.99

I Also have a bunch of these voltage alarms .
Looks identical to the one you linked , Paid something like $1 or $2 and the readings are not very accurate (prob. ok if i want a ball park reading. or to check I'm not using a spent battery in the field)
The good news is my cheap copy B6 chargers are balancing the cells spot on when i put my batteries in storage charge .
1 of the 3 chargers i have is reading 3.85 per cell but the multimeter reading 3.86 per cell .
Much closer than i thought it would be
and all cells on my three cells are balanced equally (Awsome).

Feeling much more confident about my cheap charging setup .
I also picked up 3X 5200Mah 3S for about $15 Au each from hobbyking during there battery sale and soldered up a XT60 to a dc Jack so i can now charge in the field . And it Charges my 1300Mah 3s Just fine .
Mabey i should be using 4S to power the charger But 3S seems to be working great.