Is this the correct way to check the voltage of each cell with a multimeter ?

sumone

I would like to check my cheap Lipo chargers are charging my 3s to the right voltage.
And also the right storage charge (about 3.85 per cell) .
To test each cell do i use the multimeter on the pins in the order i have pictured ?
Image1.jpg

kpixels

Antigravity or bust...
I would like to check my cheap Lipo chargers are charging my 3s to the right voltage.
And also the right storage charge (about 3.85 per cell) .
To test each cell do i use the multimeter on the pins in the order i have pictured ?
That's correct but there is an easier way. I buy these voltage alarms by the 4 pack for just under $10. Carry spares in my flight bags and use them on every flight, even if I have voltage telemetry from the model.

Low Voltage Battery Alarm - Example From Amazon - 2 pcs - $6.99

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Using your multimeter is a great way to verify that your charger is doing what is says its doing. If it's off by a little bit, take note of the difference. Once you have a good idea of your chargers accuracy, you can check the voltages per cell against one of the battery voltage alarms mentioned above. Once you have a good feel for the voltage alarms accuracy, you won't need to use your multimeter.

There are several different voltage alarms/battery checkers available. Anything along these lines works well.
https://store.flitetest.com/dys-digital-lipo-voltage-checker-w-warning-alarm-budepb-0002/p360824

sumone

That's correct but there is an easier way. I buy these voltage alarms by the 4 pack for just under $10. Carry spares in my flight bags and use them on every flight, even if I have voltage telemetry from the model.

Low Voltage Battery Alarm - Example From Amazon - 2 pcs - $6.99

I Also have a bunch of these voltage alarms .
Looks identical to the one you linked , Paid something like $1 or $2 and the readings are not very accurate (prob. ok if i want a ball park reading. or to check I'm not using a spent battery in the field)
The good news is my cheap copy B6 chargers are balancing the cells spot on when i put my batteries in storage charge .
1 of the 3 chargers i have is reading 3.85 per cell but the multimeter reading 3.86 per cell .
Much closer than i thought it would be
and all cells on my three cells are balanced equally (Awsome).

Feeling much more confident about my cheap charging setup .
I also picked up 3X 5200Mah 3S for about $15 Au each from hobbyking during there battery sale and soldered up a XT60 to a dc Jack so i can now charge in the field . And it Charges my 1300Mah 3s Just fine .
Mabey i should be using 4S to power the charger But 3S seems to be working great.