Is this worth it?

lonewolf7717

I don't have a radio yet. I need to decide quick as the planes are waiting for electronics!!!!!
Purchase with confidence man....the 9x is a proven value straight out of the box, with the additional upside of having tons of modifications that can be done as your interest and experience grow.

lonewolf7717

Why would I want to upgrade the firmware
Afraid I have thrown you a curve-ball man. If you are new to the hobby please don't concern yourself too much with upgrading firmware or 2.4ghz module. I flew my 9x stock....straight out of the box for almost a year before I did any modifications and the stock firmware performed fine. As to your question, there are a whole host of answers as to why guys upgrade firmware....for me it was to increase number of models Tx can save and telemetry for fpv projects. The fact of the matter this Tx can do all that with very little extra money invested later down the road if you so chose. Not a thing wrong with stock set-up for an average parkflyer.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Afraid I have thrown you a curve-ball man. If you are new to the hobby please don't concern yourself too much with upgrading firmware or 2.4ghz module. I flew my 9x stock....straight out of the box for almost a year before I did any modifications and the stock firmware performed fine. As to your question, there are a whole host of answers as to why guys upgrade firmware....for me it was to increase number of models Tx can save and telemetry for fpv projects. The fact of the matter this Tx can do all that with very little extra money invested later down the road if you so chose. Not a thing wrong with stock set-up for an average parkflyer.

Ah that I understand.....

btw man did you get that bixler together? and if so what did you end up using for adhesive on the fuselage?

Are you asking me

lonewolf7717

am i asking for my own personal knowledge? No, its gorilla glue for me hands down but remembered from the Ca vs epoxy thread you started and i was just curious how you took the info gleamed and put it to use....just making friendly convo is all.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
For how long are you going to use the radio?
My first Tx had 6 ch and 6 model momories - did not last a long time ;-)
Next had 20 model memories and 7 channels - no need for more channels but the model memories were all gone after a while.
My recent radio have 30 model memories and a memory card for plenty more - but not very smart to replace memorys between the main memory and the memory card (but still have 20+30 memories with my 2 txs). I have not yet had any use for more channels.
The 79$ is great value for a first radio but if you are getting really hooked then you will probably want something with telemetry later on.

Last edited:

lonewolf7717

Ah yes but that is what I was getting at when I mentioned future mods to 9x. When he is ready he can add a smartieparts programming board for $35 and with it upgrade firmware to er9x giving him 16 model memory. Plus with er9x it is telemetry capable say with a frsky system. Onboard sensor readings, battery voltages amd rssi values all displayed on the 9x. Not only is 9x great starter radio it has LOTS of room to grow with user for very little cash outlay.

Wade's RC Hangar

Forever Noob
I would say that it is worth it if you don't have/want to spend a lot of money. I myself would prefer another brand like JR or Spektrum.

I know that there are people out there that disagree and that is totally fine with me. IMO, when it comes to radio stuff, I prefer to make a good solid investment and have the backing of a really good company even if it means paying a bit more.

I will not say that the 9x is a bad TX by any means but if things go wrong, the HobbyPartz/Nitroplanes folks can sometimes be a bit finicky about taking care of the situation. I have dealt with them quite a bit and own alot of thier stuff and it is hit or miss.

I am not trying to make you change your mind at all, just want you to think about the other side of things and make a good informed decision.

Hope this helps.

Wade

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Well it finally arrived yesterday while I was at work. Today ill be setting it up and getting the programming for the F-22 into the radio!!!!!!!