It must be done!

Carbon

Elemental Madness
This is a direct challenge to any members of the Flitetest crew:
FPV is what attracted me and many other followers to your show. I like the idea of keeping with an FPV theme in your videos and also scratchbuilding.
I know Josh S. likes bombs and guns and so do I.

SO! Here is the challenge:

Scratch build an FPV platform using an Armin wing that has the ability to carry water. I say use an Armin wing because I love the techniques that Experimental Airlines uses and I believe Ed could use some publicity. Anyway, it has to be able to carry water that can be dropped on que. Then(doing this in an open field with water standing by just in case) attempt to put out a small fire such as a lamp or candle!

Wild fire fighting with an RC plane! Perhaps have one fire and the last person to drop water on it before it goes out wins!
If you succeed in a fire-fighting RC aircraft I would like to challenge you personally. I would be willing to use my new giant Carbon B-2 scratch build to fight fires too. It has a wingspan of almost 8' and will hopefully be able to carry a few pounds of payload.

So there it is, a fun and slightly dangerous challenge for adults only. Be safe and have fun!
Cheers,
Ben

SteveOBHave

I think it's a cool idea - from a payload perspective there are some real complexities around carrying liquids since the CG is constantly shifting. Getting around that would be a really interesting challenge. Great idea :D

As a though maybe dropping the water on a funnel or similar and seeing how much of a cup can be filled rather than fire - keeping it kiddy safe and all that (not to mention trying to keep the flame from going out...)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Multirotor, go for the win :D

EDIT:

Actually, it could be an episode to compare multirotors and planes - showing that multirotors have more precision in this kind of task, but planes are more resilient in flight time.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Well if you already know that, why make an episode about it?

Because hundreds of other people don't know. This is the kind of episode that would make it to Discovery Channel, not comparing an mQx with a HK micro quad.

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
This is a direct challenge to any members of the Flitetest crew:
FPV is what attracted me and many other followers to your show. I like the idea of keeping with an FPV theme in your videos and also scratchbuilding.
I know Josh S. likes bombs and guns and so do I.

SO! Here is the challenge:

Scratch build an FPV platform using an Armin wing that has the ability to carry water. I say use an Armin wing because I love the techniques that Experimental Airlines uses and I believe Ed could use some publicity. Anyway, it has to be able to carry water that can be dropped on que. Then(doing this in an open field with water standing by just in case) attempt to put out a small fire such as a lamp or candle!

Wild fire fighting with an RC plane! Perhaps have one fire and the last person to drop water on it before it goes out wins!
If you succeed in a fire-fighting RC aircraft I would like to challenge you personally. I would be willing to use my new giant Carbon B-2 scratch build to fight fires too. It has a wingspan of almost 8' and will hopefully be able to carry a few pounds of payload.

So there it is, a fun and slightly dangerous challenge for adults only. Be safe and have fun!
Cheers,
Ben

We love crazy ideas like this! We have a pretty big backlog to work through... maybe next spring.

RoyBro

Mentor
+1 for the water measurement. Although it would probably take a really large funnel construct to make it work.
The payload may have to be in the form of water balloons.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Here's the funny thing with this challenge. Small RC aircraft just can't carry enough payload to make effective firefighting tools. (I do wildland fire fighting, so I can speak with some authority here... ;))

Now, the biologist who is in charge of prescribed fires for our district has spoken with me on more than one occasion on how to SET FIRE from an RC aircraft. Currently when trying to apply fire to an area that it's too difficult or unsafe to put a human, they have to hire a full scale helicopter to drop ignition devices. This is expensive, and dangerous to the personnel.

Make a reliable and safe device for applying fire in remote locations with an RC aircraft, and you have a tool that could actually be deployed for wild land fire applications.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
FM the first thing I thought of reading your post is the program in WWII that used Bats with incendiary devices attached to them used as a weapon against the enemy. Of course the unpredictability of Bats caused some amusing stories of fires started where they should have not been! ;)

Thurmond

JasonEricAnderson

Make a reliable and safe device for applying fire in remote locations with an RC aircraft, and you have a tool that could actually be deployed for wild land fire applications.

I think the industry term for those is a "Windestål Device".

ft-dw-afterburner.gif

ft-dw-boom.gif

ft-dw-boom2.gif

ft-dw-exting.gif

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You are right! Windestål and "safe" are usually mutually exclusive!

But SOOO much fun to watch!