It turns out DJI Naza is waterproof!

saundw

So I was up at the camp that my family owns on a lake and I though it would be a great idea to bring my DJI 450 with Naza. So I did a couple flights over the lake, everything was good and what not. Later in the day I took off and did a quick take off and forward flight very fast. I turned it around over the lake and than brought it back closer to me. I noticed that as it approached me, it was very fast. I pulled back on the stick to give opposite input than the quad just fell out of the sky and did one of my least favorite manevers- splash. I quickly threw on my bathing suite and jumped in. Luckily where I crashed the water was less than 8 feet so I was able to dive down and recover it. Luckily, the battery had dislodged itself on impact, unplugging the connecter, thus not putting any current through any of the electronics! What a miracle everything was safe (except for a 5,000mAh which is at the bottom of Pattie's Pond). Of course me, I was too eager, I let it dry out for about 2 hours than plugged in a spare battery. ESC's fried cause of some water that was still inside, but the control board was responding normally! After ordering 4 new ESC's the quad is back in the air. As for the crash, I think that my flight mode was actually in manual. I thought I was flying in attitude so I wasn't giving opposite input to get out of forward flight. I guess I lucked out in terms of damage.

Wish I had some pictures...

LUCKY! I lost a 550 some weeks ago. I was in an quasi industrial area with a lot of ponds scattered about.
It was too far away when it went down for me to pinpoint it.
After driving around... I figured it was either on a roof or in a pond.
Hoped in a Cessna and after getting clear by YYZ was allowed to fly pretty close to them (but down very very low) and scanned all the roof tops in the suspected area. Nada. Probably in a pond. Drats.

saundw

LUCKY! I lost a 550 some weeks ago. I was in an quasi industrial area with a lot of ponds scattered about.
It was too far away when it went down for me to pinpoint it.
After driving around... I figured it was either on a roof or in a pond.
Hoped in a Cessna and after getting clear by YYZ was allowed to fly pretty close to them (but down very very low) and scanned all the roof tops in the suspected area. Nada. Probably in a pond. Drats.

That stinks..maybe if you find it it will still work! lol

Hasersys

Wow that's nice the battery unplugged.. Lol I assume that is what saved the board. To bad you couldn't make some sort of feature to save all of the wannabe submarines out there. Heh

Adidas4275

i have flown my Naza and WKM in the rain before

in AK it always rains.... didnt seem to do any damage...

not that I landed mine in a pond :(