ITS A TRAP!

Flite Risk

Hey everybody I just got hit with a new fishing technique well new to me anyways. Keep your heads up and be careful what you click on here's a screenshot of their attempt Screenshot_20210110-134258.jpg

Hoomi

Master member
Odds are, the number was spoofed, and isn't the real number that called. Even if it is, it's an even-odds bet the number is unmanned, and no one would answer anyway.

Seriously. I've received "Calls" from my own number before. They also often spoof numbers that are the same area code and prefix as the number they're calling, to try and make it look like someone local is making the call.

Odds are, the number was spoofed, and isn't the real number that called. Even if it is, it's an even-odds bet the number is unmanned, and no one would answer anyway.

Seriously. I've received "Calls" from my own number before. They also often spoof numbers that are the same area code and prefix as the number they're calling, to try and make it look like someone local is making the call.
Exactly. I get calls all the time from the part of NJ I lived in when I got this phone #, and I don't have people there that might call me.

Last edited:

Hoomi

Master member
We love the spam calls warning us that "the extended warranty on your automobile is about to expire!"

If I wanted to waste my time (and theirs), I'd actually talk to them, and after letting them go through their baloney spiel, ask which vehicle's warranty is about to expire? The 21 year old truck with 205,000 miles, or either of the two 16 year old vehicles with over 155,000 miles?

My wife asked one of them which vehicle one time, and after stammering for a moment, the scammer said, "Uh, the Chevy?" She said, "Nice try," and hung up. We've owned one Chevy in our lives, and it was too old for a warranty when we bought it (and that was over 30 years ago now).

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
We love the spam calls warning us that "the extended warranty on your automobile is about to expire!"

If I wanted to waste my time (and theirs), I'd actually talk to them, and after letting them go through their baloney spiel, ask which vehicle's warranty is about to expire? The 21 year old truck with 205,000 miles, or either of the two 16 year old vehicles with over 155,000 miles?

My wife asked one of them which vehicle one time, and after stammering for a moment, the scammer said, "Uh, the Chevy?" She said, "Nice try," and hung up. We've owned one Chevy in our lives, and it was too old for a warranty when we bought it (and that was over 30 years ago now).
The best are the SPAM calls saying that warrants are out for you arrest

Hoomi

Master member
Yep. Some years back, they were sending a similar scam through email, betting that people would not know that such notifications are served by either process servers, or Law Enforcement officers showing up to make the arrest. Same with IRS notifications such as delinquent taxes. The notification is always sent in a manner that generates a record of delivery, so that the affected party cannot claim "ignorance."

There's a hilarious video on YouTube of one of the IRS scammers that inadvertently called the police station. The Sergeant on duty just plays along, as the scammer keeps telling him he must pay the back taxes with iTunes gift cards quickly, because the police are on the way to arrest him.

Flite Risk

HA my current TDI Jetta has over 250,000 miles on it. My last TDI Jetta met an untimely fate when some one ran a red light, turned left in front of me at 344,152 miles. that car ran as well at 344k miles as the day I drove it off the lot.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I used to love land lines and caller id before it was able to be spoofed. That mandatory spam call at dinner time was always a high light. I would answer with things like "FBI violent crimes division how may I direct your call?". Or I would use a fake accent and answer "Allo Achmed is dat yoo? Ibby dibby dah?" Or just immediately SHHHHH them really loud then pause... and whisper did you hear that?

Then for repeat numbers take a page from my grandfathers book o tricks and step out on the back deck with the portable phone and the canned air emergency boat horn and give that a tweak. The calls from that number usually stopped after that.

Now days it is usually just recorded calls that reported someone answered and the number is active for further exploitation like the ones about the warranty for a car I don't own expired. Now days if the caller is not in your contacts list I don't bother answering nor decline the calls nor have I set up voice mail as that too answers the robocall letting them know the number is active and the spam gets that much worse.

Stress Test

My wife works at police department. The cops love messing with them when they say "a warrant for your......"

With today's tech a new format for calls, especially cellular, should have a form of encryption to ensure the number is not spoofed.

A class action suit against carriers for not doing this would include how many millions of people?

And they fool people and make money or they would quit.