Its Official I Have Moved To The Dark Side

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Here it is I have made it! I got through all that I wanted foam board to teach me as far as requirements to fly, mostly just staying airborne. Now I feel the need to move onto balsa. One, I think the planes may last longer just because I now have confidence if the communication system. Two, I have the skills now to get myself out of most predicaments, or at least avoid them. And three I think if these are made from balsa I will be less likely to be stupid with them... that is yet to be determined.

I did a bunch of research into balsa building, although I am no stranger to working with balsa. I asked a lot of questions, then got to trying to choose a kit. There were a lot of suggestions and some very good advice. I decided to go with a kit that would be compatible with electronics I already have, that would be easy to transport, but not a trainer. I had done the usual run through google searches to find all the sites to order from and narrowed it down to three. All from SIG Manufacturing, I heard their kits have a really good reputation for quality of design and build. There was a high wing, I think a Taylorcraft from Alien, the other was Four Star 20, and the Herrs Pitts Special.

On site I was looking at everything being out of stock, not available, shipping was stupid expensive, or i would have to wait for two months to get it. I decided to see what the local hobby stores had, even though I would end up paying more I wouldn't have to wait till the new year to have it. Around the stores that I frequent there were a couple balsa kits, but not much. However one place had the Herrs Pitts Special at a warehouse across the country and just needed to bring it in for me. I did have to wait a week or so but that is what I brought home a few days ago.

This Pitts is set to be around the same size as the Baby Blender, which is an airframe I do have experience with, and enjoyed a lot my first summer in the hobby. In trying to find information on it on YouTube there really wasn't much, so what I am doing is documenting this build some to put my virgin balsa experience out there. It won't be an in depth documentary but more of a journey as a newbie in the realm of wooden planes. Here is my unboxing vid, Part 1, there will be more to come. Stay tuned.

I will be honest once I get into the build i tend to forget to stop and take pics or footage. Then before I know it I have built a bunch of the plane and nothing was documented. Being this build is the first I cant deny I am like a kid at Christmas so I will try to keep it step by step... but no promises.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It only helps the addiction, but not the wallet.

What the price of a kit like that?
I got this from a Hobby store so it was already more then what you would pay online, plus I pay in Canadian currency so the number might seem high, but it was $130 for me. Online i think its $75US. I have spent way more then that just to get it to where it will fly, minus the covering. That will be another 40 bones for two colors.
Oh boy, Hai-Lee is right! I've been seduced!
I kinda want to do balsa even though I can't master foam yet...

You know what, coming from a heavy foam building background... I like the balsa better. The kit has gone together so far as quick as I would spend on a FB frame, being laser cut it all goes together pretty sweet. Follow the plans and instructions and you are good. Plus there is so many other skills to get used to. This build so far has taught me things to look for ahead of time, mistakes I have already made are in the vault for the next build. I think there isnt as much of a mess as well, other then the sanding dust.

And thats just the build, I cant wait to fly it. I hear they fly different so I am looking forward to that. This plane is also designed to take some hits, the wings are rubber banded on, the LG is structured very well. It is designed for a glow motor so it is probably over built as an electric plane, for vibration and abuse. But for the power plant i am putting in here it should have a power to weight ratio of almost 2:1. And there are some mods that I am doing to it to enhance the experience as well. All will be covered in near future episodes.

OliverW

Legendary member
I love watching people build balsa!
I kinda wanna do my own balsa build now.
It only helps the addiction, but not the wallet.

I got this from a Hobby store so it was already more then what you would pay online, plus I pay in Canadian currency so the number might seem high, but it was $130 for me. Online i think its $75US. I have spent way more then that just to get it to where it will fly, minus the covering. That will be another 40 bones for two colors.

You know what, coming from a heavy foam building background... I like the balsa better. The kit has gone together so far as quick as I would spend on a FB frame, being laser cut it all goes together pretty sweet. Follow the plans and instructions and you are good. Plus there is so many other skills to get used to. This build so far has taught me things to look for ahead of time, mistakes I have already made are in the vault for the next build. I think there isnt as much of a mess as well, other then the sanding dust.

And thats just the build, I cant wait to fly it. I hear they fly different so I am looking forward to that. This plane is also designed to take some hits, the wings are rubber banded on, the LG is structured very well. It is designed for a glow motor so it is probably over built as an electric plane, for vibration and abuse. But for the power plant i am putting in here it should have a power to weight ratio of almost 2:1. And there are some mods that I am doing to it to enhance the experience as well. All will be covered in near future episodes.
I know I'm gonna get hate for saying this, but in my opinion, balsa flies better. It cuts through the air smoother

Timmy

Legendary member
I hear they fly different so I am looking forward to that.
yeah, I would expect so.
I live in canada so CAD is fine. $130? not that bad. Specs?

OliverW

Legendary member
yes, I've never flown balsa but I imagine it isn't as floaty while still having the same amount of lift as a foam plane.
Foam can be lighter in some situations. But balsa can be built just as light! There's just something thats hard to describe about how a big balsa plane flies. Its hard to compare a 105" foam aerobatic plane to a wood one. The wood one will out perform the foam any day and I feel it is the same for most balsa planes imo