Its Official I Have Moved To The Dark Side

OliverW

Legendary member
Gonna act like I never read that 😂
But seriously. Most planes aren't designed to crash. FT ones are strong in the fact that they are boxes and take the hits well. That being said i feel like a balsa plane is just as easy to fix as a foam plane. Sure it may take a little bit longer, but it will still be super simple. A big foam plane is gonna take damage just as well as a balsa plane of the same size though

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
But seriously. Most planes aren't designed to crash. FT ones are strong in the fact that they are boxes and take the hits well. That being said i feel like a balsa plane is just as easy to fix as a foam plane. Sure it may take a little bit longer, but it will still be super simple. A big foam plane is gonna take damage just as well as a balsa plane of the same size though
Maybe your planes aren't

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
A big foam plane is gonna take damage just as well as a balsa plane of the same size
Foam board will absorb the energy from an encounter with the ground far better than balsa. Foam board has far more ability to flex, without breaking. Balsa is just to fragile, it can't take an impact.

OliverW

Legendary member
Foam board will absorb the energy from an encounter with the ground far better than balsa. Foam board has far more ability to flex, without breaking. Balsa is just to fragile, it can't take an impact.
Again, I would personally prefer performance over durability, but the great part of this hobby is that everybody enjoys different aspects and can have respect for each one

shadeyB

Legendary member
I think the planes may last longer just because I now have confidence if the communication system.
Two, I have the skills now to get myself out of most predicaments, or at least avoid them.
And three I think if these are made from balsa I will be less likely to be stupid with them... that is yet to be determined.

I will be honest once I get into the build i tend to forget to stop and take pics or footage. Then before I know it I have built a bunch of the plane and nothing was documented. Being this build is the first I cant deny I am like a kid at Christmas so I will try to keep it step by step... but no promises.

fantastic 👍 following
I wish you all the success in the Balsa realm
point 1 & 2 I absolutely agree with ...... however........ point 3 ....... I’m not sure your choice of words are correct, watched and follow most of your videos and flights and I wouldn’t say your stupid with your flights, just stuff happens some times.
other than your battle sessions you don’t go out to crash your planes . But you, I & us all know ‘shit can happen, will happen, maybe or maybe not to you‘
note on your closing statement - ‘yet to be determined‘
makes my above comment pointless 😂😂
is it ready yet ? Don’t forget to take pictures lol , Looking forward to maiden already

Here it is I have made it! I got through all that I wanted foam board to teach me as far as requirements to fly, mostly just staying airborne. Now I feel the need to move onto balsa. One, I think the planes may last longer just because I now have confidence if the communication system. Two, I have the skills now to get myself out of most predicaments, or at least avoid them. And three I think if these are made from balsa I will be less likely to be stupid with them... that is yet to be determined.

I did a bunch of research into balsa building, although I am no stranger to working with balsa. I asked a lot of questions, then got to trying to choose a kit. There were a lot of suggestions and some very good advice. I decided to go with a kit that would be compatible with electronics I already have, that would be easy to transport, but not a trainer. I had done the usual run through google searches to find all the sites to order from and narrowed it down to three. All from SIG Manufacturing, I heard their kits have a really good reputation for quality of design and build. There was a high wing, I think a Taylorcraft from Alien, the other was Four Star 20, and the Herrs Pitts Special.

On site I was looking at everything being out of stock, not available, shipping was stupid expensive, or i would have to wait for two months to get it. I decided to see what the local hobby stores had, even though I would end up paying more I wouldn't have to wait till the new year to have it. Around the stores that I frequent there were a couple balsa kits, but not much. However one place had the Herrs Pitts Special at a warehouse across the country and just needed to bring it in for me. I did have to wait a week or so but that is what I brought home a few days ago.

This Pitts is set to be around the same size as the Baby Blender, which is an airframe I do have experience with, and enjoyed a lot my first summer in the hobby. In trying to find information on it on YouTube there really wasn't much, so what I am doing is documenting this build some to put my virgin balsa experience out there. It won't be an in depth documentary but more of a journey as a newbie in the realm of wooden planes. Here is my unboxing vid, Part 1, there will be more to come. Stay tuned.

I will be honest once I get into the build i tend to forget to stop and take pics or footage. Then before I know it I have built a bunch of the plane and nothing was documented. Being this build is the first I cant deny I am like a kid at Christmas so I will try to keep it step by step... but no promises.
Whew.
Reading you title, I thought you were switching to drones quads.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Reading you title, I thought you were switching to drones quads.
Ha! I thought the same thing! Building with balsa is moving towards the light, not the dark side. 😁

I have always loved balsa wood, it's what I started out with many years ago. It really was all we had. But it was foam board that got me back into the hobby and taught me how to fly. Years later, when my airplanes were coming home from flying undamaged, it was time to get back to my roots and build with wood. Balsa airplanes are so much more beautiful than foamies. I won't say one flies better than the other. I've flown good and bad airplanes made from foam and balsa.

I believe that to be a good balsa builder you have to enjoy the much slower building experience and enjoy obsessing on the details. I often feel a twinge of sadness when a months long balsa build is approaching completion because there will be nothing left to do but to fly it.