Its Official I Have Moved To The Dark Side

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Mighty indeed! Looking AWESOME! The only thing I would ask for is a time lapse.
I would like to do that for sure, maybe on another build, but that is a lot of video to play with. Most of the time i give it shots of certain areas to make clips, time lapse is hours of video that takes forever to import on the editor and takes up so much disc space. I am using a laptop that is barely one step above a notebook so it doesn't do much or have much power.

Tench745

Master member
That might look like a clay-mation cartoon lol. I remember the old Godzilla and King Kong movies where they did that, kinda nostalgic
I have a free app on my phone, Lapse it. You can tell it how often to take a picture, and then afterwards you can tell it how long to make the resulting clip and some other basic editing things, then export it as a video file.
I've used it for a couple different time lapses of building the wings for my Jr Ace. Here's one such example.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have a free app on my phone, Lapse it. You can tell it how often to take a picture, and then afterwards you can tell it how long to make the resulting clip and some other basic editing things, then export it as a video file.
I've used it for a couple different time lapses of building the wings for my Jr Ace. Here's one such example.
I might try that thanks for the tip.

BTW are you planning of flying the JR Ace from inside the cockpit, that wing is HUGE! Anymore footage or a thread of this epic build?

Tench745

Master member
I might try that thanks for the tip.

BTW are you planning of flying the JR Ace from inside the cockpit, that wing is HUGE! Anymore footage or a thread of this epic build?

SquirrelTail has it right. It's a 2-seat, light sport aircraft.
I have a thread for it over here in the full scale aviation section of the forum. I haven't updated it in a while though. I've got the tail feathers tack-welded together now.

Mode 1

Interesting thread. Personally, I can't imagine going back to balsa. I fully respect it and have great memories of watching my dad build balsa planes through the winter months. However, foam has spoiled me and the thought of going back to the days of being able to 100% disintegrate a plane on impact for something that may or may not have been my fault doesn't appeal to me any longer. But, the beautiful thing about this hobby are the options - options to spend little or large, options of balsa, foam or other composites. Gas, Nitro, Electic, Slope, Fast or Slow... Man. what an amazing hobby we all enjoy.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Well the covering is done, so much for a winter project, it's not even Christmas yet. However I just could not leave this thing alone. The anticipation of the next step, I did this wing I might as well do the other, what will it look like if I just covered the tail feathers now. You know how it goes. I will say I do look forward to the next one.
20201207_154413.jpg

20201207_154544.jpg
20201207_154631.jpg

I did want to go for more of a sportier theme then just the classic red and white. There is also the black and yellow version which is pretty popular as well but again has the same dynamic. The black was a bit sharper then the red so that is the obvious option. There was some really catchy patterns that I would have liked to have used but they were a little to edgy for the rounded profile and lines of the plane. I settled with more of a classic sport racer livery that would not only be catchy but will lend itself easy for orientation.
20201207_154725.jpg
20201207_154745.jpg
20201207_154823.jpg
20201207_154850.jpg
20201207_154943.jpg

The top looks completely different from the bottom, front and back are slightly alike, but still looks classy from the side. If i was to go over all the blemishes it has on it as far as the covering goes, honestly i though I would mess it up worse then did. Over all it should be flyable at this point, and I do look forward to doing so. However i just finished it and there is always the possibility of a crash, not to say that it will happen. But it sure would suck to have it just built and I would have to look at a busted plane sitting on the shelf, I might savor this for a bit... maybe a week or so

Michael9865

Elite member
Well the covering is done, so much for a winter project, it's not even Christmas yet. However I just could not leave this thing alone. The anticipation of the next step, I did this wing I might as well do the other, what will it look like if I just covered the tail feathers now. You know how it goes. I will say I do look forward to the next one. View attachment 185615
View attachment 185608 View attachment 185609
I did want to go for more of a sportier theme then just the classic red and white. There is also the black and yellow version which is pretty popular as well but again has the same dynamic. The black was a bit sharper then the red so that is the obvious option. There was some really catchy patterns that I would have liked to have used but they were a little to edgy for the rounded profile and lines of the plane. I settled with more of a classic sport racer livery that would not only be catchy but will lend itself easy for orientation.
View attachment 185610 View attachment 185611 View attachment 185612 View attachment 185613 View attachment 185614
The top looks completely different from the bottom, front and back are slightly alike, but still looks classy from the side. If i was to go over all the blemishes it has on it as far as the covering goes, honestly i though I would mess it up worse then did. Over all it should be flyable at this point, and I do look forward to doing so. However i just finished it and there is always the possibility of a crash, not to say that it will happen. But it sure would suck to have it just built and I would have to look at a busted plane sitting on the shelf, I might savor this for a bit... maybe a week or so

Looks fantastic!

TooJung2Die

Master member
Three colors for your first balsa airplane? Impressive! It looks great and I think using white for the bottom was a very good decision. I often wait a week or more for the maiden flight; somehow it takes the edge off the nervousness. If she flies as good as she looks you're golden. Good luck!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Three colors for your first balsa airplane? Impressive! It looks great and I think using white for the bottom was a very good decision. I often wait a week or more for the maiden flight; somehow it takes the edge off the nervousness. If she flies as good as she looks you're golden. Good luck!
We will see how the weather holds up, it is supposed to get cold here in the next week or so, so it may be longer. It may be tomorrow, who knows.

Thanks for the compliment. I was at one LHS and they seemed to have limited options for colors so I chose the white and orange. Moved onto the next LHS and found they had a whack ton of colors. Since I already had the orange and white i picked up the black. If I started at the the second LHS the plane might have been completely different