Its Official I Have Moved To The Dark Side

L Edge

Master member
A suggestion.

Put at least 3 sets of rubber bands to hold each wing down. Be sure to criss-cross at least a set for each wing. The other reason, these days is, the rubber doesn't have the power like it use too. Better to have too many on than lose it.

First bipe, had it flying and would hear a thump making a sharp turn. Paid no attention, tried a "E" loop that ended up tight and on the way down it accellerated , the top wing let go(not enough rubber bands, that's why the thump) due to high wing loading. It was tough to get back down, but doing high,hot,heavy approach, made it down.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
A suggestion.

Put at least 3 sets of rubber bands to hold each wing down. Be sure to criss-cross at least a set for each wing. The other reason, these days is, the rubber doesn't have the power like it use too. Better to have too many on than lose it.

First bipe, had it flying and would hear a thump making a sharp turn. Paid no attention, tried a "E" loop that ended up tight and on the way down it accellerated , the top wing let go(not enough rubber bands, that's why the thump) due to high wing loading. It was tough to get back down, but doing high,hot,heavy approach, made it down.
I plan to do that for sure. I might go with another set on each wing. I dont think i want to cross the ones on top yet just cuz it will pull the cabanes together adding to a side load force to them, not sure if that will help but it will get doubled up for sure. The bottom wing should stay in place but those two are crossed so I might just add a couple there for friction and balance on a roll sense.

I have a FB Stick, @The Hangar design, and you can pull the leading edge off the fuse on that with to much up elevator with 4 rubber bands as it is. The top wing might even get the thicker stronger quality bands, i will have to keep my eye out for some
Dark Side suits you
Yes I do like it over here, always looking for new members

L Edge

Master member
One other trick, is to find the CG. It is usually referenced to the bottom wing. No balance, take fishing string and put in under the fuse , put the wing on and rubber bands. Now lift on the string(don't touch plane) and say if nose heavy, move the string aft and then try again. That way, no marks on the bottom wing and you now have the exact point it balances.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
One other trick, is to find the CG. It is usually referenced to the bottom wing. No balance, take fishing string and put in under the fuse , put the wing on and rubber bands. Now lift on the string(don't touch plane) and say if nose heavy, move the string aft and then try again. That way, no marks on the bottom wing and you now have the exact point it balances.
There are CG references marks on the plans that relate to a location on the cabanes, so I can hang it off my fingertips on those marks. Not really sure as to this fishing line trick you speak of though, how does this work again?

Javiester

Elite member
I'm sorry
I could not resist
US $ 28.72 kit + film
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32856414833.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.25012e0eas0oOE
Hc594596dd76c484bb6f9c45c51ec9fbaF.jpg

The kit arrived today, it looks very soft, Thin balsa, I will have to reinforce the fuselage a little at the junction with the wing, but for the price you cannot ask for more, the film is pre-cut I'll open a thread when I start with it

Bricks

Master member
I am thinking they are trying to save weight using the softer balsa as all up weight is only 110 grams. If you need to stiffen the balsa in certain areas you can use thin CA and cover the piece with that with out much weight penalty. For that price I think I may have to pick one up.

L Edge

Master member
I had a Andrews Bipe where the balsa CG was located 1/2" from leading edge of bottom wing. Leading edge was rounded so no way to mount balance system.

So use fishing line that is inserted between wing and fuse and rubber banded. Lift up using right and left hand on string (for bipe hold between wings) and see it it goes tail or nose heavy when suspended. Then move string fore or aft and lift plane and repeat until plane balances level. Can be done on any type of plane with removable wing if you don't have a balance device.

To keep our racing planes light, I used foam wings and 3M spray caps and sheets on to it. Then monocoted over. Always came in under weight. Because planes took 40-50 G's in turns, layed cabon fiber strips under balsa on top as well as bottom of the wing so it did not fold. Make sure you always epoxy the fuel tank area and firewall for the engine mount.

q.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I had a Andrews Bipe where the balsa CG was located 1/2" from leading edge of bottom wing. Leading edge was rounded so no way to mount balance system.

So use fishing line that is inserted between wing and fuse and rubber banded. Lift up using right and left hand on string (for bipe hold between wings) and see it it goes tail or nose heavy when suspended. Then move string fore or aft and lift plane and repeat until plane balances level. Can be done on any type of plane with removable wing if you don't have a balance device.

To keep our racing planes light, I used foam wings and 3M spray caps and sheets on to it. Then monocoted over. Always came in under weight. Because planes took 40-50 G's in turns, layed cabon fiber strips under balsa on top as well as bottom of the wing so it did not fold. Make sure you always epoxy the fuel tank area and firewall for the engine mount.

View attachment 185886
Ok i see now, I knew it would be simple but i just couldn't visualize it. Good tip

Wildthing

Legendary member
Well the covering is done, so much for a winter project, it's not even Christmas yet. However I just could not leave this thing alone. The anticipation of the next step, I did this wing I might as well do the other, what will it look like if I just covered the tail feathers now. You know how it goes. I will say I do look forward to the next one. View attachment 185615
View attachment 185608 View attachment 185609
I did want to go for more of a sportier theme then just the classic red and white. There is also the black and yellow version which is pretty popular as well but again has the same dynamic. The black was a bit sharper then the red so that is the obvious option. There was some really catchy patterns that I would have liked to have used but they were a little to edgy for the rounded profile and lines of the plane. I settled with more of a classic sport racer livery that would not only be catchy but will lend itself easy for orientation.
View attachment 185610 View attachment 185611 View attachment 185612 View attachment 185613 View attachment 185614
The top looks completely different from the bottom, front and back are slightly alike, but still looks classy from the side. If i was to go over all the blemishes it has on it as far as the covering goes, honestly i though I would mess it up worse then did. Over all it should be flyable at this point, and I do look forward to doing so. However i just finished it and there is always the possibility of a crash, not to say that it will happen. But it sure would suck to have it just built and I would have to look at a busted plane sitting on the shelf, I might savor this for a bit... maybe a week or so
That looks fantastic