It's That Time Of Year Again: Snow Skimmer Shenanigans!

GrizWiz

Elite member
Well I'd sure like to see that. You plan on building it? You'll be the Grandmaster of Reduction and Simplification!

I'm dreaming of a light coating of nice soft fresh powder on a sunny day...
who do you think I am? Of course I built it!
IMG_0257.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I'm thinking of designing a EZ pack inspired platform but instead of any gyro board just 2 more powerful brushed motors (like what people put on their whoops) and several interchangeable 3d printed mounts and the ability to add more motors. It'd work well for projects that don't fly, or only fly indoors. I'll make some quick sketches tomorrow. Also, looking sick :cool:

GrizWiz

Elite member
My only concern is how it will handle just on those little pylons. Won't it be too little surface area?
On my past skimmer it was pretty much all touching the snow. It would not move because there was much friction. I am mainly doing it on icy roads so It wont matter for me.

GrizWiz

Elite member
I'm thinking of designing a EZ pack inspired platform but instead of any gyro board just 2 more powerful brushed motors (like what people put on their whoops) and several interchangeable 3d printed mounts and the ability to add more motors. It'd work well for projects that don't fly, or only fly indoors. I'll make some quick sketches tomorrow. Also, looking sick :cool:
What I would be worried about is outdoor flying. The only thing keeping the plane stable is the gyros. Since the ez planes are smaller they get pushed around by wind. However for flying in a gym or indoor space that would be great.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
What I would be worried about is outdoor flying. The only thing keeping the plane stable is the gyros. Since the ez planes are smaller they get pushed around by wind. However for flying in a gym or indoor space that would be great.
totally, that's why it wouldn't be capable of outdoor flying unless the wind was dead calm. FT has that part tuned ok from what I've seen.

Last edited:

GrizWiz

Elite member
However a cheap rc helicopter board can be used the same way. Check this out https://www.instructables.com/micro-rc-heli-to-rc-plane/''
The problem with tiny whoop motors is that the shafts are smaller than the EZ motors. Unless you can find a alternative, the propellers for the ez pack wont work. also the tiny whoop motors are far less powerful than the regular ez motors. With 4 bladed props at least. I have dont some tests and they do not have the same thrust.

Holy smokes! I want that!
Lemmy send you postage and you mail it to me. It's way cooler than mine!
I wound up in a seemingly infinite finishing loop. Man you got the right idea. Sure you could close those sponsons if you wanted to. Run it your way first. But closing the sponsons wouldn't add much drag I don't think. They're more of a cutting and stabilizing edge. But I have no idea what this'll do at that size. Hurry up and shoot vid.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
However a cheap rc helicopter board can be used the same way. Check this out https://www.instructables.com/micro-rc-heli-to-rc-plane/''
The problem with tiny whoop motors is that the shafts are smaller than the EZ motors. Unless you can find a alternative, the propellers for the ez pack wont work. also the tiny whoop motors are far less powerful than the regular ez motors. With 4 bladed props at least. I have dont some tests and they do not have the same thrust.
Ha. I have a micro RC heli my buddy gave me, but the FC is hosed.

Would actually like to fly it as a heli. I need to clean all the waterproof coating off the board and then reflow the CPU. Pretty common problem with this old Horizon model.

I have other brushed FCs, and some bigger brushed motors I could use on a micro skimmer though..... Hmmmm

GrizWiz

Elite member
Holy smokes! I want that!
Lemmy send you postage and you mail it to me. It's way cooler than mine!
I wound up in a seemingly infinite finishing loop. Man you got the right idea. Sure you could close those sponsons if you wanted to. Run it your way first. But closing the sponsons wouldn't add much drag I don't think. They're more of a cutting and stabilizing edge. But I have no idea what this'll do at that size. Hurry up and shoot vid.
Waiting for snow! There is a winter storm watch right now

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Crap, the snow's melting and it turned from powder to lumpy ice. In some areas grass is already showing, so hopefully the motor arrives in time. There's lilely to be one more large snowfall before spring, but if not I may turn this into a grass skimmer or just wait till next year.