It's That Time Of Year Again: Snow Skimmer Shenanigans!

GrizWiz

Elite member
Hey,@Ryan O. Did you finish the sketches for the control board idea? I wonder if we could make a new version of the power pack h. We could smaller motors if wanted and have only elevator and differential

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I've been out of town the last 2 weekends, so when I saw the motor was here I was excited. One problem, the snow wasn't.
image.jpg

@GrizWiz I'll make a sketch for the DIY EZ Pack soon, maybe have it done by tomorrow. I'll try to make 3d models in fusion by next week. As for a new power pack H, it could be a parts list with hyperlinks (props, servos, motors, esc's, control boards, etc.) so anyone knows what to get for their needs.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Since the snow isn't coming back, I'll go for a modified design for next year. I'll ad a diffuser to the rear with some 3d printed veins to keep the airflow laminar. I'll also add an air channel to allow cooling air through the vehicle and out the rear where it will exit under the diffuser, generating downforce. I'll also be adding a front wing to generate lift. My idea is to have a slightly nose up attitude when cruising. This should also help with jumps.
1615498828613.jpg

instead of a duct I may also make a channel going through the middle with more of a 2 fuselage design, I'm just not sure yet. Lastly, I'll be reducing the weight of everything 3d printed.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Well I've lost my sheet with the drawing, but that doesn't really matter. Basically, PETG friction fit engine mounts. I'll just work on the fusion one a little more then, and maybe clean up ny workspace. I'll also work on the power pack H parts list.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
@GrizWiz how about I start a seperate thread or a resource for the Community EZ Pack? I've been attempting to do some more work on it in fusion, but it is acting odd today and I can't log in, so hopefully I can get in and finish it soon.

GrizWiz

Elite member
@GrizWiz how about I start a seperate thread or a resource for the Community EZ Pack? I've been attempting to do some more work on it in fusion, but it is acting odd today and I can't log in, so hopefully I can get in and finish it soon.
Ok. I would do a thread not a resource. If we find something that works we can post it as a resource. I was just working in fusion so that is weird

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Ok. I would do a thread not a resource. If we find something that works we can post it as a resource. I was just working in fusion so that is weird
I was thinking of a resource because if I can open up fusion i can could make working prototypes really soon. I'l make a thread though because I still can't open fusion. I'm beginning to think that I'm having computer issues because several other things are going wrong. When downloading often my computer will do interesting things. I'm upgrading soon though :) I plan to have a new one in 2 weeks. It may be a good time to redo the drawings.

GrizWiz

Elite member
I was thinking of a resource because if I can open up fusion i can could make working prototypes really soon. I'l make a thread though because I still can't open fusion. I'm beginning to think that I'm having computer issues because several other things are going wrong. When downloading often my computer will do interesting things. I'm upgrading soon though :) I plan to have a new one in 2 weeks. It may be a good time to redo the drawings.
That's cool!

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
This isn't about the snow skimmer, but it uses some parts I made/bought for it. While waiting for my new computer I decided to quickly slap my Runcam Split 3 on a toy car and drive it around fpv a bit. Next i decided to take the ramp I made for the snow skimmer and tried driving off it. Here's a few pictures of what happened. I sort of hit the camera too ;)
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 12.06.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 12.09.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 12.09.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 12.11.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 12.12.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 12.14.37 PM.png

leaded50

Legendary member
well, i can tell i dont have any good field somewhere around here to hold full speed in 5 sec, even at 3S. with 4S and a loose elevator after a small crash.. i could forget it to even get it go straight :ROFLMAO:. Fun as long it was ok, nice see it float 50mm over the snow.
Sad enough ive forgotten to put a memorycard in the small camera i had on me.. and can just share what the mobilphone saw.

well, i can tell i dont have any good field somewhere around here to hold full speed in 5 sec, even at 3S. with 4S and a loose elevator after a small crash.. i could forget it to even get it go straight :ROFLMAO:. Fun as long it was ok, nice see it float 50mm over the snow.
Sad enough ive forgotten to put a memorycard in the small camera i had on me.. and can just share what the mobilphone saw.

Looks fantastic! You really had it moving there at the beginning. Looked like you got it dialed in.

leaded50

Legendary member
Looks fantastic! You really had it moving there at the beginning. Looked like you got it dialed in.
i had (before chrashed and the elevator got loose on one side... ) hope next time i have memorycard in the camera too.

720 feet wasnt long enough for 5 sec. though...

GrizWiz

Elite member

Very nice! I don't think I will have any more snow where I am at this year sadly

leaded50

Legendary member
Very nice! I don't think I will have any more snow where I am at this year sadly
approx 12inches yet at fields.. but not on roads eg.. there its gone already. It was raining a while ago, and the chill came again, so its possible walk on it, (if not to heavy ;)) from where could park the car, it was approx 200meters to the airfield... sunk through 10 times only , and just a little.