It's That Time Of Year Again: Snow Skimmer Shenanigans!

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
I think I've been building something for this challenge without even knowing about it! I built this just as the first snow storm hit in my area. Would this work for the challenge?
IMG_20201229_203646293.jpg

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Ok you guys can just cut it out. First @BlockerAviation's "design", then here comes @leaded50's thing. Ok I'll go get a model rocket and glue on a popsicle stick for a ski.
Grumble grumble. :LOL:
Remeber though, it needs to be moving fast for at least 5 seconds to score. An M size rocket only burns for 4.
need setup new radio, then i can participate with the Chaika WIG, without outer& top wing. .. (seaplane bottom hull, and sponsons by inner/outer wing. )
View attachment 187460
When did you build that? I saw the concept for this thing the other day and I really like the design for the most part.

CampRobber

And also if I use one motor only do I have to use a distribution board?

Even if you have several motors, "distributing" power doesn't actually require a board; soldered y-junctions distribute fine. But drone ESCs typically lack BECs and PDBs often have those.

GrizWiz

Elite member
Even if you have several motors, "distributing" power doesn't actually require a board; soldered y-junctions distribute fine. But drone ESCs typically lack BECs and PDBs often have those.
Wouldn't your receiver control the voltage going to servos/motors?

Pieliker96

Elite member
Wouldn't your receiver control the voltage going to servos/motors?

The receiver typically distributes the power regulated by the BEC to the servos by means of having the 5v lines of the servo headers ganged together - you can check the continuity from any middle pin to any other middle pin on the RX, they're all connected.

You can remove the middle (power) pin of the servo connectors and tie them to any other power source you'd like and they'll work fine, so long as both power supplies (the BEC powering the RX and the servo's power source) share the same ground. This is what I prefer to do in twin engine craft when both ESCs have integrated BECs: Since just tying the BECs' outputs together isn't recommended (the regulators could end up "fighting" each other, leading to failure), I plug some servos into the RX directly (off the first BEC) and some into the second BEC by removing their power pins from the RX and tying them together separately. This spreads the servo load across the two BECs without directly tying them together.

GrizWiz

Elite member
The receiver typically distributes the power regulated by the BEC to the servos by means of having the 5v lines of the servo headers ganged together - you can check the continuity from any middle pin to any other middle pin on the RX, they're all connected.

You can remove the middle (power) pin of the servo connectors and tie them to any other power source you'd like and they'll work fine, so long as both power supplies (the BEC powering the RX and the servo's power source) share the same ground. This is what I prefer to do in twin engine craft when both ESCs have integrated BECs: Since just tying the BECs' outputs together isn't recommended (the regulators could end up "fighting" each other, leading to failure), I plug some servos into the RX directly (off the first BEC) and some into the second BEC by removing their power pins from the RX and tying them together separately. This spreads the servo load across the two BECs without directly tying them together.
Cool Thanks!