It's That Time Of Year Again: Snow Skimmer Shenanigans!

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
What's the biggest FT motor?
Double that. This is gonna be super fast.
Good luck, I'm running mine on four of these:

2013-Tesla-Model-S-motor-in-subframe.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I finished fusion360 model for the duct for the middle motor. It's basically the same as a BDF, just a different length and taper angle meant to allow it to go over jumps. I don't know whether or not to give it an oversized intake yet, so any tips would be appreciated.
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 2.53.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 2.54.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 2.54.21 PM.png

CampRobber

(the regulators could end up "fighting" each other, leading to failure),

You're not wrong, but the "3a BEC" in a SimonK-style ESC is literally two 7805s in parallel so it's not like bussing more of them would be so much worse.

My personal advice is, if the FC UBEC isn't sufficient, put MP1584 modules (2 grams and $1.25 each) close to big servos and run them off the propulsion voltage.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I printed the very base of ny prop duct, and as you can see I'll need to enlarge the fuselage. Because of thag I'll be able to mount all the motors centrally, and I nay not need side skis after all. This should allow for really high speeds on 4s as well. I'm going to try to make the fuselage mostly ski on the bottom and all intake on the top. to minimize drag, and I've decided to shorten the thrust tube. The rear of my snow skimmet should basically consist of the end of the thrust tube and the tail. Sort of like a MIG 21, but the intake is on top, not the canopy. Also think of it as an upside down F-16. The reolacement motors should be here soon, so this should be finished relativelg soon. The Runcam split also shipped, and I'll make a waterproof case for the board so I can put it on this for FPV adventures at the local park.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I've lightened the duct and reduced the tolerances to 0.8mm. For less distrubed airflow I've gone with a "pusher" with the motor behind the 5 firewall braces. I've also thinned the wall and the braces, but added 2 additional braces like on Ben Harbers BDF. Technically running this off 4s with 3 blade props is irresponsible, but I guess letting cool for a while between runs should be sufficient (famous last words) after all, it is winter and it's pretty easy to get some cold airflow over the motors. There was a big snowstorm which gave us a soft layer of snow about 15cm/6in deep, which isn't good for snow skimming (dense snow with an icy layer on top works really well, but that takes a few weeks to get the icy top layer) but mine shouldn't sink too far in.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Wow all you guys with lots of snow and quick build times are so bored with this thread by now. :rolleyes:
Ok, a little progress here. Building up the tail, and now I need to build motor mounts on the vertical stabs. I'll try to just get it done at this point. Freezerburn don't care. It would be a crime to miss the next snow without having the chance to put all you guys to shame with my ridiculously fast little red rocket ship.
IMG_1511.JPG IMG_1517.JPG IMG_1521.JPG

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Wow all you guys with lots of snow and quick build times are so bored with this thread by now. :rolleyes:
Ok, a little progress here. Building up the tail, and now I need to build motor mounts on the vertical stabs. I'll try to just get it done at this point. Freezerburn don't care. It would be a crime to miss the next snow without having the chance to put all you guys to shame with my ridiculously fast little red rocket ship.
View attachment 188266 View attachment 188267 View attachment 188268
I still haven't even started mine

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
View attachment 188266 View attachment 188267 View attachment 188268
Nice build! I'm still interested but all the snow I got has melted. I did get a video of it while the snow was still there tho. I'll upload it soon.