It's That Time Of Year Again: Snow Skimmer Shenanigans!

GrizWiz

Elite member
I finished the EZ build today. It took sooooo many tries to get it to work!!! I'm not going to put a picture because it looks horrible... First I forgot about prop clearance then the motors kept stopping because the gyros in the board thought it was crashing... I added a tail skid and had to move the control board forward. Then it finally worked... And I crashed it in to a chunk of ice. I broke a prop and the motor popped off. I'm just waiting for the snow to stop before I test it again. I might stick a fpv cam on it too.

I finished the EZ build today. It took sooooo many tries to get it to work!!! I'm not going to put a picture because it looks horrible... First I forgot about prop clearance then the motors kept stopping because the gyros in the board thought it was crashing... I added a tail skid and had to move the control board forward. Then it finally worked... And I crashed it in to a chunk of ice. I broke a prop and the motor popped off. I'm just waiting for the snow to stop before I test it again. I might stick a fpv cam on it too.
We know that's a made-up story because there's no photos. :p:ROFLMAO:

You guys are jerks! You build in an hour something that I've been poking at for months. :mad:
Seriously, as I said I have limited build time. The really big problem is that I've wound up trying to build this like I'm restoring a 60 yr old show car or something. I swear 1/3 of the way in I was saying the next one is just gonna be thrown together for fun.

Hi my name is Monte and I have a problem.

GrizWiz

Elite member
Bully...
IMG_20210126_125957987.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
That's reminded me, I should probably add an anti vibration countermeasure to my fpv camera on the snow skimmer, likely Ningaflex or foam rubber. Also, does the EZ snow skimmer fit inside the fuselage of the "master series" snow skimmer since it looks almost small enough.

GrizWiz

Elite member
That's reminded me, I should probably add an anti vibration countermeasure to my fpv camera on the snow skimmer, likely Ningaflex or foam rubber. Also, does the EZ snow skimmer fit inside the fuselage of the "master series" snow skimmer since it looks almost small enough.
Yeah the street I was on had lots of ice chunks!
I think it should fit into the ms skimmer!
More or less it is a mini ms skimmer😂

Has no one noticed I cling wrapped the control board??!?
One speedboat technique way way back was to squeeze your Rx into a standard balloon, with all the wires sticking out. Silicone the open end shut around the wires and tie it off with a piece of string. (y) But for this, plastic wrap sounds easier.

GrizWiz

Elite member
One speedboat technique way way back was to squeeze your Rx into a standard balloon, with all the wires sticking out. Silicone the open end shut around the wires and tie it off with a piece of string. (y) But for this, plastic wrap sounds easier.
Yeah just dont get hot glue on it will melt away.

A little bit of custom hardware.
X-mounts screw into the plywood firewalls. Firewalls will be just glued onto the motor pods with Gorilla Glue, two toothpicks will drive through each firewall, glued into the foam, with CA between toothpick and plywood. CA soaks into the wood really well. Custom servo horn for two rudder control rods.
Way back I bought one 4-pack of the blue 9g servos, because I don't know why. ;) (All the rest I have are 5g or less.) They didn't include servo horns that would give me the angles I want. Then I found that each manufacturer uses a different number of teeth on the horn-to-servo connection. So I made my own so I can get the angles I want.

IMG_1545.JPG

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
13 hours more and my last major part will be printed. You may be able to guess what it is from the first layer, and yes there isn’t a fan shroud because it melted and now I can only print PETG until I can get a replacement. I’m also potentially considering a TWA, Eastern, or Pan Am livery for the snow skimmer. It makes absolutely 0 sense, but the horizontal lines will add speed.
image.jpg