It's That Time Of Year Again: Snow Skimmer Shenanigans!

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
sorry read your post after I replied to your last , you're good to go(y)
Give yourself some reference marks so that you will know where to place the parts , or at least take note of reference points as to where you have them placed. Love that plane and color scheme, looks like you are coming along quite nicely , really liked the wing design with channels for wires and stuff, great job my friend, been following(y)(y)

Taildragger

Legendary member
Give yourself some reference marks so that you will know where to place the parts , or at least take note of reference points as to where you have them placed. Love that plane and color scheme, looks like you are coming along quite nicely , really liked the wing design with channels for wires and stuff, great job my friend, been following(y)(y)
what I planed on doing was unwrap "stencils" from the CAD model so they line up precisely

Last edited:

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
while printing asa on the prusa I noticed that the heat from the hot end had sort of melted the fan shroud, to the point that it was rubbing against the print. Luckily I was able to fix it with a heat gun and printed some spares in case it breaks. I printed a test fin with asa and it’s too floppy, so I’m going to witch to petgto make it more rigid, after all, it doesn’t need to deal with high temperatures. I also tested drilling through the tube, and it’s pretty easy.
image.jpg

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Think I am going to stick to what I did with version 1 for runners on the skis/pontoons/sponsons things :ROFLMAO:. simple but works good.
IMG_20220209_204126560.jpg

obviously I had edge damage but I ran this thing to hell and back over everything , I think V2 design will do just as well if not better

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
while printing asa on the prusa I noticed that the heat from the hot end had sort of melted the fan shroud, to the point that it was rubbing against the print. Luckily I was able to fix it with a heat gun and printed some spares in case it breaks. I printed a test fin with asa and it’s too floppy, so I’m going to witch to petgto make it more rigid, after all, it doesn’t need to deal with high temperatures. I also tested drilling through the tube, and it’s pretty easy. View attachment 218460
you need to build some support in that

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Battery is charging, taking the Ripper out for a little test run in the back yard just to see whats what. +4 Celsius today and sunny after rain yesterday and a cool night so I'm expecting crusty fast conditions . Hatcam is ready to go, video will be posted in a couple hours. Let er RIPPPPP!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Battery is charging, taking the Ripper out for a little test run in the back yard just to see whats what. +4 Celsius today and sunny after rain yesterday and a cool night so I'm expecting crusty fast conditions . Hatcam is ready to go, video will be posted in a couple hours. Let er RIPPPPP!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Here it is . V1 wanted to nose into the ground when I throttled it up , V2 wants to fly :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Broke it but broke where it should have so that's good, no need for a rear ski as there is plenty of steering authority. Battery definitely has to move forward. Much nicer to have pontoons break off than have to rebuild every time. A V3 version for the community is just about there. Pumped!!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
beginning to think I should turn mine in to a grass skimmer..... >sigh< The snow is not cooperating here. At least Ice/Water will still do with mine. :)

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
beginning to think I should turn mine in to a grass skimmer..... >sigh< The snow is not cooperating here. At least Ice/Water will still do with mine. :)
I'm going to put my plans up there for everybody , I have a simpilied V3 almost ready and after this test run with V2 I think it will hit the sweet spot. Everybody needs to go give this type of rc vehicle a go, it's a blast and you could really learn a lot of different things along the way. This thing would absolutely love the grass!

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
If you are melting PETG with a motor, something isn't right. Screw bottomed out in to the windings, prop way to large, etc....
The screws weren’t bottoming out and it wasn’t rubbing, I was just doing a bunch of donuts so it got very little airflow at max throttle, plus these high kv motors get pretty hot. It didn’t melt too far before it jammed, it only bent a couple degrees before the prop hit the wall of the bdf. It was beyond the glass transition temperature, so it was soft enough that it could be deformed without technically melting.

Here it is . V1 wanted to nose into the ground when I throttled it up , V2 wants to fly :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Broke it but broke where it should have so that's good, no need for a rear ski as there is plenty of steering authority. Battery definitely has to move forward. Much nicer to have pontoons break off than have to rebuild every time. A V3 version for the community is just about there. Pumped!!
That looks like so much fun on the crusty snow! He's out there and I'm thinking "If he hits that tree he'll have to go after it..." So he just flips over instead. Then he does hit the tree and reaches in the hole to pull out the boat. Then he reaches in the hole again. He better not pull out more boat.

Really wants to fly. The same thing my last year's one was doing. This year I decided I want zero aerodynamic lift. I mean it. Zero. There's more than enough lift provided at the points where the hull meets the snow. I figure no matter what you do there'll be some lift inherent in the design, to allow it to climb out of the snow, to shed the snow in a downward direction. I don't see how you can create physical lift of the hull without it acting in an aerodynamic fashion as well.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
That looks like so much fun on the crusty snow! He's out there and I'm thinking "If he hits that tree he'll have to go after it..." So he just flips over instead. Then he does hit the tree and reaches in the hole to pull out the boat. Then he reaches in the hole again. He better not pull out more boat.

Really wants to fly. The same thing my last year's one was doing. This year I decided I want zero aerodynamic lift. I mean it. Zero. There's more than enough lift provided at the points where the hull meets the snow. I figure no matter what you do there'll be some lift inherent in the design, to allow it to climb out of the snow, to shed the snow in a downward direction. I don't see how you can create physical lift of the hull without it acting in an aerodynamic fashion as well.
yep, I definitely over compensated , made my booms wing shaped for lift as V1 always wanted to nose into the snow, Even testing this it wanted to nose down so I adjusted the thrust angle back more than I originally had as when I throttled up the motor mount flexed forward a few degrees causing it to nose down, so I put a support under the front of the motor mount to minimize the flex and create more upward thrust, don't think I needed to do that LOL. Battery forward would have helped a bit but thinking maybe I am a little over powered with that 1500 3s. It's all back together, minimal damage considering the abuse LOL, no more testing in the back yard , too many things to hit and not enough space to really see what's happening. It's a freaking blast though I gotta say, love it.