I've been given a challenge...

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
To come up with a system that can fly 5, preferably 10 miles and return, using FPV, carrying a go pro, and launched and landed back on a boat.

It has to be fairly self stabilizing, and easy to fly for beginners.

This is for a scientific survey project.

We're trying to figure out feasibility and cost. I think it can be done fairly inexpensively. What system would you guys put together?

PaulT

Mentor
First problem of this would be a minimum flight time of 20 minutes if you were able to maintain 60 MPH.
Being on the water helps with reception for your tx and rx.
Maybe rig up a 30 foot tower on the boat to get some height.
And of course a plane that can land on the water!:eek:

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
You will need something "energyfriendly" which would mean a KF2 airfoil and a dihedral wing desing. They can help you with gettin the flight time you need.

Is 60mph an average flying speed? Seems to be pretty fast to me.
The thing is that you will need a big battery and also a place for FPV stuff. Cheap FPV system from HK would be something like this and it would be enough for you as long as you don´t have to use Fatsharks or so.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=13439&aff=247441

I would go for Bixler because it can carry a lot OR a Tricopter because it you can increase the battery size also quite easily. I think you will get the most flight time out of the tricopter.

DeBoe75

Passing by
First...thats going to need more power for signal. Going to need an amp above 2 watts... Think fcc laws restrict sales of such things but You can fig that out Im sure. As far as flight time goes... Barrow Tech from auto. Make it a Hybrid self charging with a on board starter found on R/c cars. And landing??? That called great Piloting my friend...try a rotating wing design or floats and pickup..good luck

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Thanks Drednox! :)

That is one direction I'm looking. An FPV Bixler carrying a gopro. I've thought about using corrosion X on the electronics, it can he hand launched, and hand caught, or use a net. It can be quick without being too fast. It's just a matter of flight time/distance and to a degree video signal distance.

The intended use is to survey coastlines, as well as being able to penetrated several miles inland. My only concern with this airframe is the question of what electronics might be needed, the weight added, and the cost in range and duration.

DREDNOX

Where's the Jager??
No Problem! They are definitely hand launchable and catchable. I have a 3300mAh 3s for motor and control, and a separate 800mAh 3s for video. She floats pretty good and I can keep it in the air around 40min with throttle management and gliding.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
No Problem! They are definitely hand launchable and catchable. I have a 3300mAh 3s for motor and control, and a separate 800mAh 3s for video. She floats pretty good and I can keep it in the air around 40min with throttle management and gliding.

Do you data log your flights? I wonder if you could calculate distance travelled.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
The intended use is to survey coastlines, as well as being able to penetrated several miles inland. My only concern with this airframe is the question of what electronics might be needed, the weight added, and the cost in range and duration.

I knew that! Survey as in natural research, or geographic research?

UndCon

UndCon
I have plans to fly 6-7Km over open water and back.

I will start off with making sure that RTH works in case of signal loss.
I will also make sure I have video all way.

I can easily cover the distance with my 5000mah LIPO's I use in the Skywalker.
(when I fly at my local airfield I usually go 15Km in 30 minutes)

//UndCon

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I'm not saying it's the best plane but something like a SkyWalker...Something with huge lift and huge cargo capacity so you can carry beau-coup battery mah..like a couple 4000 or 5000mah.

DREDNOX

Where's the Jager??
One of the things I learned was to stay away from 2.4 for long range RC control. 72mhz with a tuned receiver antenna can sometimes get you about 3 miles range. There are long range systems out there that operate on 433Mhz that have gone out 40+ miles BUT, you need a HAM license to legally use them. Actually, you need a ham license to use a video tx also and stay on certain channels. If I remember correctly, the highest output video tx you can legally use without a license is 10mW

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
One of the things I learned was to stay away from 2.4 for long range RC control. 72mhz with a tuned receiver antenna can sometimes get you about 3 miles range. There are long range systems out there that operate on 433Mhz that have gone out 40+ miles BUT, you need a HAM license to legally use them. Actually, you need a ham license to use a video tx also and stay on certain channels. If I remember correctly, the highest output video tx you can legally use without a license is 10mW

Thats true, or at least that what I know about in Germany!

And those 1500mW FPV Systems are on a lot of places illegal. The funny thing about them is that you are allowed to posses them but then it is illegal to use them. (makes no sense but thats the way it is)

Does anyone know how police or so could trace you if you use a 1500mw FPV system like HK sells?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
In my country almost nothing is illegal (JK) but if you mess up the TV signal for half a town in the middle of a soccer match, you're most likely to get killed :)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Does anyone know how police or so could trace you if you use a 1500mw FPV system like HK sells?

It would be easy, actually. You're pumping out a signal. If they had an antenna that swept back and forth, the point with the strongest signal is the direction they would head. They could just keep doing this until they got to the location of the plane, which would eventually be you. They could also record the video you're transmitting. As you're handling the plane, they would get a nice picture of you. The stronger the signal, the easier this is. I prefer to run a weaker video transmission signal, and have a better ground antenna system.

Of course, if this system was used that I'm talking about, all the proper permits would be in order, they would be following the rules that applied to such a project, and therefore shouldn't be going over any legal wattage levels.