JB Simple Stik

Paracodespoder

Elite member
If lots of landings and takeoff is what you are after, maybe spend extra time reinforcing the landing gear setup in this place - it is the same as done in Cub and Scout and as such is not too durable, unless you plan to grease the plane every time on a very smooth landing strip. I did not build Storch myself, but landing gear there looks like it will handle multiple landings on less than perfectly glassy fields better than simplified design this plane is using.
Well obviously I plan on greasing it every time, however I probably won’t get that greased landing very often 🤣. But yeah I plan on using aluminum flat stock and making a sturdier gear for both the storch and this.

Airkaos

Loving this plane for touch and go’s,
trying something new to me, how about a night stick?? Need some green tape for the other side :)

FF9A8DFC-EA01-4209-B761-E7746D2C156D.jpeg

63D2AB27-B173-4DDB-82CA-D289FE86F577.jpeg

danskis

Master member
@Airkaos - I'm putting landing gear on mine next. Do you like where your landing gear is on the plane or would you move it forward or back? Also, how is it attached on the inside and what size wheels would you recommend? Thanks

Airkaos

@Airkaos - I'm putting landing gear on mine next. Do you like where your landing gear is on the plane or would you move it forward or back? Also, how is it attached on the inside and what size wheels would you recommend? Thanks

yes the landing gear works great where is at, is just ahead of the cg and I have not had any problems with it. There is a reinforcement piece of foam on both side on the inside of the fuselage, and the Lg just slides right in. I liked the ft stumper version of the ft wheels, and had some laying around, they are about 4” maybe a little smaller, and they work great flying off grass. The only thing missing is a triangle or something to make like a rear skid and lift the tail from the ground.

rwp033

Mine is attached. What do you think? The graphics are printed on vinyl decal material and is re positionable. Was thinking of making these graphics available to purchase. Any interest?

Attachments

• CDFA4844-C471-4C66-A3CD-9AD425DA09F1.jpeg
    CDFA4844-C471-4C66-A3CD-9AD425DA09F1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 0894A767-2528-4E13-BA66-EFB78CF8958C.jpeg
    0894A767-2528-4E13-BA66-EFB78CF8958C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 07610201-5CB5-4FA9-A514-D1AF8990B67B.jpeg
    07610201-5CB5-4FA9-A514-D1AF8990B67B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 9D537D1C-904E-4B8B-B91A-9E48185B4502.jpeg
    9D537D1C-904E-4B8B-B91A-9E48185B4502.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

randyrls

Randy
nope! I use then to scrape glue. Sometimes I like to seal the exposed edges with glue. You can use these as a squeegee of sorts to scrap the glue on the edges. the notch is the width of a piece of foam.

Juss; I use a glue spreader from Woodcraft(?) with a notch cut in it. Reuseable. The best Part is that the hot glue just peels off. This one is years old.
Glue Spreader.jpg

This is an FT Simple Stick I'm just finishing, but needs painted after the maiden. I reinforce the landing gear and wing attachment skewer holes with 1/8" plywood or Popscicle sticks.
FT Simple Stick.jpg

I've printed the JB SimpleStik plans and that is next on the list.

This is the reinforcement for the landing gear. I also make the "bracket" from the same 1/8" plywood. I may just make the doubler from the plywood on the JB Stik.

FT Simple Stick Landing gear re-inforcement.jpg

Last edited:

randyrls

Randy
Juss; Have you considered making the wings a little longer? I printed templates, but thought the wings were a bit on the short side. I opened the wings up in Inkscape and made them longer, no chord increase, but just longer. I'll have to make the spar(s) longer as well. In the latest ver of Inkscape you can change dimensions by adding an amount to a dimension. Like instead of 39" type 39" + 8"

danskis

Master member
extending the wings should make it a bit more stable especially at landing speed. It will probably reduce the roll rate too which you may be able to overcome with more throw or wider ailerons.

The Fopster

Master member
I built one of these in an evening, and it flies great! Made a few changes (no power pod, slightly enlarged wings and tail plane) but nothing significant. Maiden went smoothly except it’s a little nose heavy with a 1300 3s. I’ve taped a small bolt to the tail and it’s better already. Easy to build and good to fly - brilliant!
19840E59-8C70-44BF-AA40-442BB9301567.jpeg
6AB4D7E3-BF26-434B-9C64-62D1991C44BF.jpeg

The Fopster

Master member
This is a great plane! If you're no longer a noob and want something that is quick and cheap to build, but can develop your skills on the sticks, this (for me, anyway) fits the bill perfectly! Unlimited vertical on 3s and built in one night. Not bad...

Last edited:

mcmoyer

I just finished a build of this. I built the FT Simple Stick when it first came out. It flew great until an unfortunate servo failure. I wanted to try something different with the 2nd build and found these plans. I liked the way the front of the wing slid in and the wing is a bit thicker so I wanted to build this one. Got it finished in a couple of days of on and off work on it. Now I just need to wait on the rain to stop.

I did experiment around a bit with this build so I'll be curious how well it flies.
* I doubled the width of the rudder and elevator...they're both 2 pieces glued together. Same with the ailerons.
* Given my issues with creating the airfoil on the first build, I made formers to attach to the spar.
* I made the wing a symmetrical for the full span.

Still need to get some paint on it, but first I'll do a maiden to make sure my changes don't make it a wall decoration. I also need to cover the ends of the wings.

Attachments

• IMG_5948.jpeg
    IMG_5948.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5949.jpeg
    IMG_5949.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5958.jpeg
    IMG_5958.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5959.jpeg
    IMG_5959.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5957.jpeg
    IMG_5957.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0

Michael9865

Elite member
I just finished a build of this. I built the FT Simple Stick when it first came out. It flew great until an unfortunate servo failure. I wanted to try something different with the 2nd build and found these plans. I liked the way the front of the wing slid in and the wing is a bit thicker so I wanted to build this one. Got it finished in a couple of days of on and off work on it. Now I just need to wait on the rain to stop.

I did experiment around a bit with this build so I'll be curious how well it flies.
* I doubled the width of the rudder and elevator...they're both 2 pieces glued together. Same with the ailerons.
* Given my issues with creating the airfoil on the first build, I made formers to attach to the spar.
* I made the wing a symmetrical for the full span.

Still need to get some paint on it, but first I'll do a maiden to make sure my changes don't make it a wall decoration. I also need to cover the ends of the wings.

Looks great. Nice mods.

mcmoyer

Weather finally cooperated and the winds got down to around 10mph right before sunset. It's very freeing to go into my backyard, toss the plane into the air thinking, "well, if it crashes, it was only a few hours of work and $10 of foamboard." - but it did not crash, but actually flew really well. Really didn't even need much trimming. Fast rolls, great elevator, but the rudder didn't have as much authority as I wanted. At the same time, it was a bit nose heavy since I wanted to err on the side of safety first. It got dark before I could get another flight in, but tomorrow I shall try with the CG a bit further back and maybe the rudder on the innermost hole. Oh, I did add one more mod since I posted the photos. In order to get the CG, I needed to move my servos up under the wing. Maybe I shouldn't have used MG servos, but they're pretty much my default for everything nowadays.

I really missed having this design of a plane in my hangar.