JH Sharknado - a ridiculous foamboard speed machine

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
And we have flight video! The footage doesn't do justice to just how insanely loud this airplane is. It's easily one of the two noisiest electrics I've ever seen, the other being Laine Stahr's Giant Paper Airplane.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Way to go dude! I've definitely got some ground to make up now! :D

I got the Redline up to 135mph IAS, but I think there's a bit more to be eek'd out before resorting to wizardry. ;)

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I've never heard any electric that loud! Insane!

And we have flight video! The footage doesn't do justice to just how insanely loud this airplane is. It's easily one of the two noisiest electrics I've ever seen, the other being Laine Stahr's Giant Paper Airplane.

jross

Been playing around with diving and speed runs with my Spear and Goblin. Feeling ready for something faster. Been coveting a Sharknado since you first released it, @FAI-F1D .

Not ready for 175 mph but wondering if you have any suggestions for power/prop combinations that would make the Sharknado fly 80 - 100 mph? Not looking to break the bank on parts. Just want to get my feet wet.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Been playing around with diving and speed runs with my Spear and Goblin. Feeling ready for something faster. Been coveting a Sharknado since you first released it, @FAI-F1D .

Not ready for 175 mph but wondering if you have any suggestions for power/prop combinations that would make the Sharknado fly 80 - 100 mph? Not looking to break the bank on parts. Just want to get my feet wet.

Ooooh! Another victim!

There are several nice options out there for doing what you're looking for. All have growing room. The Hot Deamon can achieve those speeds with a fairly affordable setup--FT Monster Radial or Turnigy 5060 equivalent, RFM 18x21 prop, 6s. That'll run you up a shade past 100 mph with a very, very docile airplane (but use 0.060 piano wire for the elevator pushrod!).

For the Sharknado, the 36mm inrunner on a 6x4 prop would give you very sprightly performance without being completely insane. That's a pretty inexpensive setup and you can still run the Red Brick 200A esc ($25). Takeoffs are pretty docile with a prop that low pitched, and a 6s 1800 will survive. Alternatively, go back up to the 6.5x6.5 prop and use a 4s 2200 setup--nice and light and still over 100 mph. If you can control a Spear in a dive, this plane will be a wonder to you--nice and neutral in pitch. Then you can up the cell count when you're ready to go faster, and if you want to go all the way, get a 40mm inrunner later on and slap a 7x10 prop on it and go for the speed record.

jross

Victim, indeed, @FAI-F1D. Something addictive about a plane screaming past you at close range. Ya think it would get old fast but I giggle every time.

Thanks for all that information. I see carnage in my future. A 36 mm on 4S for now. Time to fill up the shopping cart! Doubt it will get here before the snow but that will just make for softer landings, denser air and better cooling.

Cheers!

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Victim, indeed, @FAI-F1D. Something addictive about a plane screaming past you at close range. Ya think it would get old fast but I giggle every time.

Thanks for all that information. I see carnage in my future. A 36 mm on 4S for now. Time to fill up the shopping cart! Doubt it will get here before the snow but that will just make for softer landings, denser air and better cooling.

Cheers!

Enjoy! Don't go light on the esc...just lets you take another failure mode out. That powerplant will definitely give you a lot of fun, and it's light enough that the takeoffs will be fairly straightforward. You'll love how this thing glides too.

Yusernaym

I know this is an old thread, but I just found out about the project recently, and it has me thinking. I found your youtube channel a bit ago, and have mostly been looking at the rubber powered stuff, because I find it very interesting as someone who's never done balsa or free flight. Your speed deamon and it's variations are more in my skillset, and I'm almost certainly going to build one as my next plane. I have an idea for a challenger to the Sharknado, but I don't know what the rules are for this challenge. If you don't mind either telling me or linking somewhere I can find out myself, what are the rules for the record? Specifically regarding propulsion type and construction, as my idea involves an edf and carbon fiber, but I want to keep the project within the restrictions of the record from the start. Thanks!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I mean, ultimately yeah, "how fast can you go?" But it did originally start as a friendly competition between Finn and I to see who could make the "Fastest Foamboard". There are certainly faster planes out there, but they're mostly REALLY pricey and REALLY crunchy. The Sharknado, Speed Deamon, Yellow Jacket and Redline are all relatively inexpensive planes to build and kit-out, and they all will easily punch 150mph with non-crazy power systems. My Yellow Jacket was powered on Flite Test Radial 2207 motors on 6S with FT-35A ESCs, for reference.

Some carbon was allowed, primarily in the wing-spar-reinforcement department, but we tried to keep it to foamboard and wood wherever possible. ;) :p

Yusernaym

I mean, ultimately yeah, "how fast can you go?" But it did originally start as a friendly competition between Finn and I to see who could make the "Fastest Foamboard". There are certainly faster planes out there, but they're mostly REALLY pricey and REALLY crunchy. The Sharknado, Speed Deamon, Yellow Jacket and Redline are all relatively inexpensive planes to build and kit-out, and they all will easily punch 150mph with non-crazy power systems. My Yellow Jacket was powered on Flite Test Radial 2207 motors on 6S with FT-35A ESCs, for reference.

Some carbon was allowed, primarily in the wing-spar-reinforcement department, but we tried to keep it to foamboard and wood wherever possible. ;):p
Thanks! I'm not trying to just throw money at the problem, the electronics I'll be using are slightly older parts that a friend of mine had lying around. I like the idea of the engineering challenge of making a foamboard plane that can survive those kinds of speeds, and I want to see how close I can get.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
As @Mid7night said, the challenge is for foamboard aircraft. We allowed carbon pultrusion spars for safety and durability, and wood hardpoints for wing attachments and the like since FT is doing that with a lot of their kits these days.

An all wood model is in itself capable of much higher speeds (German balsa models are doing well over 250 mph these days). Full carbon birds can do 300+ if properly designed.

Dip your toes in gently to get a feel for things and then have fun. You'll like the handling of the Speed Deamon. Main rule is to have fun and don't burn up more planes than your bank account can handle. ;)

It's a lot of fun and I think the most fun for me is finding a power source that everyone has overlooked that a beast. There are a few out there under $30.00 dollars that are 1800w motors and some under $25.00 that have gone over 200mph in carbon planes. To me that's just a challenge because it means if I do it right, then it can be done. Good luck to everyone and join our group on FB names, foam board speed record competition.