JH Speed Deamon - a foamboard pylon racer

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
have seen the speed wing... just didn't put two and two together I guess. Do you feel his wing design is faster?

There's no comparison. Combining a smooth wing (no undercambered sections or sharp transitions) with ironed edges has made this one of the most efficient foamboard planes I've ever built. Well, that, and no rubber bands adding drag.

Yusernaym

Do you have plans for the updated version? I've been wanting to build one of these since soon after I started flying earlier this year, and I finally have the power system to do it right. A friend of mine gave me a 2845 2750kv motor that can take 6s, which would be a perfect fit for a Speed Deamon.

Yusernaym

it's out of an edf, so I don't know if I'll trust it with a big prop straight away. It's branded as a Predator, but aside from that I don't know much

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
it's out of an edf, so I don't know if I'll trust it with a big prop straight away. It's branded as a Predator, but aside from that I don't know much
That's what I thought. Because it is out of an EDF which really only spin comparatively small fans compared to larger props it makes sense. I would say you would need a serious ESC to handle the loads. Do some bench testing to see how it fairs.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
sorry, don't mean to be a jerk. :sneaky:

i need to revisit my foam demon. it has an T-motor F80 that can run on 6S, but i use 4S. i think it's the cheap esc i have installed. i am in the process of switching all of my balsa demons over to Opto ESC's w/external BEC's to reduce size and significantly increase Amp and Voltage. i think i may do the same with the foamy and see what happens.

laters,

me :cool:

A couple of comments on what I have done lately with this plane.

I have cut a couple inches off the wing, elev, vertical stab to see what would change. Maybe less drag, no change in stability until I cut 100% of the wing tips off... back to where the underside of the wing ends, maybe around 5" per side. Maybe 2" per surface on the tail.

Still flies well, but can get a little temperamental at<30% throttle. Good times.

Now I am thinking about putting EMAX 4030 on it (I am guessing this is about same as FT Monster motor). 6S 4000 70c and a 16x10. Battery will barely fit, motor mount will just fit on the nose. Not sure that I can get this to balance... maybe move the wing a little more forward.

Am I crazy thinking this would work?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Now I am thinking about putting EMAX 4030 on it (I am guessing this is about same as FT Monster motor). 6S 4000 70c and a 16x10. Battery will barely fit, motor mount will just fit on the nose. Not sure that I can get this to balance... maybe move the wing a little more forward.

Am I crazy thinking this would work?
What motor is on it currently? My guess is that you'll have a lot more thrust but less top speed.

andrej

foam thickness 6 or 3 mm? I want to build this plane wingspan 60 cm, with motor 1806 2300kv and small battery 4S. In this size, will he be able to fly at a speed of 120-150 kmh?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
foam thickness 6 or 3 mm? I want to build this plane wingspan 60 cm, with motor 1806 2300kv and small battery 4S. In this size, will he be able to fly at a speed of 120-150 kmh?

at 60cm probably not on a 1806 even with 4S. if you are sold on using the 1806 then i would recommend dropping to more like 40cm wing span. if not i would go to an f-pack sized motor (2205-2300kv) and use 4S.

i originally had an 1806 on my balsa mini-demon and it would do 80mph (128 kmh). now i have the 2205 on it and it is much faster, closer to 110mph using a 4S and 4.75x4.75 apc prop.

good luck,

me :cool:

superhappyfun

I just build this plane and I'm noticing two tendencies when I fly it:

#1 It torque rolls
#2 Tends to nose up.

MY power setup is:

EMAX 2205 2300kv motor
APC 5x5 electric prop
850 mah 4S battery

I was wondering if anyone else had these problems? The plane nosing up seems to happen when I give it some throttle and I noticed that there is no thrust angle on this plane. Did any of you experiment with adding some downward thrust? Would a few degrees of downward thrust fix this? The torque roll is less noticable and it seems to go away at higher speeds, but even at higher speeds I still have to apply a little bit of right aileron roll.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Sorry I haven't been in here in a while...been a couple years since I've flown a foamboard airplane to be honest. That said, I still sell a kit for the Deamon now and then. Seems that it's still a relevant airplane.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that your plane is a bit tail heavy, given the use of a pretty small motor. The CG should be no more than 1" aft of the wing leading edge.

Torque roll at full speed indicates that either the motor is bogging down, or your wing is warped. Check for the wing warp first.

Nosing up, I dunno...I've never had one do that, but it may be related to the CG issue. Make sure the power pod is in straight.

You don't want thrust offsets on these as that can cause some minor, but really weird tendencies at full speed which are both annoying and limiting of maximum performance.

Let me know what you find out and we can proceed from there.

I just build this plane and I'm noticing two tendencies when I fly it:

#1 It torque rolls
#2 Tends to nose up.

MY power setup is:

EMAX 2205 2300kv motor
APC 5x5 electric prop
850 mah 4S battery

I was wondering if anyone else had these problems? The plane nosing up seems to happen when I give it some throttle and I noticed that there is no thrust angle on this plane. Did any of you experiment with adding some downward thrust? Would a few degrees of downward thrust fix this? The torque roll is less noticable and it seems to go away at higher speeds, but even at higher speeds I still have to apply a little bit of right aileron roll.

Terry37

Sorry I haven't been in here in a while...been a couple years since I've flown a foamboard airplane to be honest. That said, I still sell a kit for the Deamon now and then. Seems that it's still a relevant airplane.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that your plane is a bit tail heavy, given the use of a pretty small motor. The CG should be no more than 1" aft of the wing leading edge.

Torque roll at full speed indicates that either the motor is bogging down, or your wing is warped. Check for the wing warp first.

Nosing up, I dunno...I've never had one do that, but it may be related to the CG issue. Make sure the power pod is in straight.

You don't want thrust offsets on these as that can cause some minor, but really weird tendencies at full speed which are both annoying and limiting of maximum performance.

Let me know what you find out and we can proceed from there.

Recently purchased a couple kits. So far 111 mph on 6s battery, 2308 2450kv motor with graupner 5.5 x 4.3. Easy hand launch and great flying. 4s battery produced 94 mph and instant 180 degree turns possible.
20220421_131043.jpg
Enlarged plans for my club racing with 75 mph limit. 35 inch wingspan flies great. Moving CG will produce smooth turns to radical 180 degree turns. No tip stalls, just slight wing lift with eight rubber bands.
20220421_131059.jpg

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Ok that's pretty fantastic. I love seeing enlarged versions of this bird. Also I was informed that a relatively stock Speed Deamon won the high school class at OSU Speed Fest 2022 a few weeks ago. Very gratifying to see something I designed achieving such success!

Recently purchased a couple kits. So far 111 mph on 6s battery, 2308 2450kv motor with graupner 5.5 x 4.3. Easy hand launch and great flying. 4s battery produced 94 mph and instant 180 degree turns possible. View attachment 225440 Enlarged plans for my club racing with 75 mph limit. 35 inch wingspan flies great. Moving CG will produce smooth turns to radical 180 degree turns. No tip stalls, just slight wing lift with eight rubber bands.
View attachment 225441