Help! Jittering Servo

Wingman04

I have an E-Flite Timber and have been having a problem with the right aileron servo jittering when the stick is in a certain position. Rebinding and wire rerouting haven't helped. It only started after I replaced the other aileron servo, but I have no ideavwhy that would have any affect. Some days it's worse than others and some days it hardly does it at all. Any help would be appreciated.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I have an E-Flite Timber and have been having a problem with the right aileron servo jittering when the stick is in a certain position. Rebinding and wire rerouting haven't helped. It only started after I replaced the other aileron servo, but I have no ideavwhy that would have any affect. Some days it's worse than others and some days it hardly does it at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Are they joined together with a servo y-splitter/extension cable? I just found mine jittering because the cables at the extension points weren't making a good connection; they were loose. I put some good servo locks on, securing them tightly; no further issues.

Wingman04

Yes, they use a Y harness that plugs into the aileron port.

So you think I should go through all of the connections and check/glue them?

Thanks.

sprzout

Mentor
Yes, they use a Y harness that plugs into the aileron port.

So you think I should go through all of the connections and check/glue them?

Thanks.

I'd put a servo tester through the line, and then shake the lines a bit. If you see jittering on the servo, it's loose and not making a good connection. I don't know that I'd glue them together, but maybe use a servo lock, like these:

Toy-Model-Servo-Connector-Safety-Lock-Clip-Futaba-JR-Connector-Lock.jpg_640x640.jpg

They're relatively inexpensive - anywhere from $3-$7, depending on where you get them...I have a 3D printer, so I just print my own, but they're a godsend in keeping the wires together if they're not exactly the tightest join...

Chuppster

I'd put a servo tester through the line, and then shake the lines a bit. If you see jittering on the servo, it's loose and not making a good connection. I don't know that I'd glue them together, but maybe use a servo lock, like these:

Toy-Model-Servo-Connector-Safety-Lock-Clip-Futaba-JR-Connector-Lock.jpg_640x640.jpg

They're relatively inexpensive - anywhere from $3-$7, depending on where you get them...I have a 3D printer, so I just print my own, but they're a godsend in keeping the wires together if they're not exactly the tightest join...

A piece of scotch tape works just as well for me.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I use dental floss to tie servo connections together. Keep a box in my flight bag. In my experience servo jitter can also come from electrical interference. I've eliminated servo jitters, especially on long wire runs by twisting the wires (like you see in the photos above), or even in extreme cases, adding a ferrite ring with the servo wires wrapped/looped around it 3-4 times.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I found that the fine tab had broken off on the signal wire port and thereby it wasn't secure. When I pushed the plug on the receiver, the signal wire's crimped metal end pushed back. but as it's attached to the power and ground lines it still pushed on the pin giving it intermittent connection.

The other thing I've had is a gear tooth breaks. This causes a similar effect sometimes.

sprzout

Mentor
I use dental floss to tie servo connections together. Keep a box in my flight bag. In my experience servo jitter can also come from electrical interference. I've eliminated servo jitters, especially on long wire runs by twisting the wires (like you see in the photos above), or even in extreme cases, adding a ferrite ring with the servo wires wrapped/looped around it 3-4 times.

Dental floss is a thought; my only problem with it is that my cats, for some reason, LOVE dental floss. I put it up on my build table for no less than 30 seconds, and they're stealing it away. I don't know why? Maybe it's the mint, and they think it smells like catnip or something...LOL

Tying them together with it though, that's a good idea. I like that better than tape, only because of my aforementioned issues with it coming off in the heat...

Wingman04

I found that the fine tab had broken off on the signal wire port and thereby it wasn't secure. When I pushed the plug on the receiver, the signal wire's crimped metal end pushed back. but as it's attached to the power and ground lines it still pushed on the pin giving it intermittent connection.

The other thing I've had is a gear tooth breaks. This causes a similar effect sometimes.
The only thing that doesn't make sense is that I haven't touched the connection ever. It hasn't been messed with since the factory. The only connection I have messed with is the Rx to Y harness connection, but only the one servo does the jitter.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Check the factor solder joint forbthe y connection is my only suggestion. Good luck.