Joe Nall Challange

bitogre

I think Flite Test should accept Hobby King's challenge for Joe Nall: attempt to land and launch a plane from the deck of an RC Aircraft Carrier that Hobby King is going to bring to Joe Nall. They should use ether an existing design or one specifically designed for this challenge. Of course, if they do use a new design, they should publish plans and build video for the new plane. This can even be a competition between the Flite Test Crew to see who can do a better job of meeting Hobby King's challenge.

Given that the Hobby King aircraft carrier will be of a WWII design, the ideal plane would be of a WWII design which fits into the plans for doing a series of warbirds.

Succeed or fail, I think this would be awesome video to watch. :cool:

eagle4

i saw that and think its cool, although i think everyone needs to know how long the runway will be, so that way you can know how much space you have to land on. also i would have prefered if they were building the carrier from the avnegers... a flying aircraft carrier!!!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
hmmm . . .

Seeing how well HK did with their 3m foamie, I'd be cautious about their oversized boat staying afloat and level with my aircraft on it, or the deck withstanding the impact of an airframe touching down.

Whatever anyone goes for, I'd lean toward STOL or float plane -- let the boat sink around me . . . unless it capsizes . . . then again, maybe not even a float plane.

bitogre

i saw that and think its cool, although i think everyone needs to know how long the runway will be, so that way you can know how much space you have to land on. also i would have prefered if they were building the carrier from the avnegers... a flying aircraft carrier!!!

I agree but you have to talk to the Hobby King guys to convince them to do an Avengers style aircraft carrier. Also, I assume that information on the size of the carrier will be forth coming in future videos or you may be able to figure out some of that information given the planes they are planing on using.

eagle4

Craftydan, I wonder if some people will fly planes with bombs in them and try to sink it ;) a couple of big fishing sinkers dropped from enough height would make a hell of an impact

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Craftydan, I wonder if some people will fly planes with bombs in them and try to sink it ;) a couple of big fishing sinkers dropped from enough height would make a hell of an impact

WHAT?!? someone deliberatley trying to sink the SS HK?!? Surely there's nothing but good will for a company with such a fine record of customer service . . .

It would be funy if one of the other vendors put up a kamakazi plane, or a bomb laiden Zero and popped a hole in along the waterline. I'd say those guys would take it all in fun, but while the otehr two laughed it off, Stewart didn't look happy watching 3m of green foamboard shatter so epicly . . . all depends on perspective, I suppose . . .

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
seem those guys have a blast with what ever they do. great to see new fun ideas to keep it fresh. the 3m shocky was awesome! i had friends over and we were praying for it to work! i haven't seen the challenge yet but id throw a plane on er! maybe even an arresting hook!

i could see josh using ft-flyer....... that's his go-to slow challenge plane

bitogre

Based on Hobby King's latest video, it looks like the deck of the Carrier will be 8'x24'. Looks like it is going to be a real challenge giving the tests Hobby King did in their video. I will be impressed by anyone that can actually put off this challenge.

Tactical Ex

The FT Flyer could be landed on a piece of foamboard in capable hands. I landed the FT Flyer in less than 4ft by 3ft yesterday. The water is the scary part.

bitogre

The FT Flyer could be landed on a piece of foamboard in capable hands. I landed the FT Flyer in less than 4ft by 3ft yesterday. The water is the scary part.

So, plenty of room to spare. If the water is the scare part, then just Do not miss. :p Or fly around for a second pass if you think you are going to miss.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
As we all know you can land the FT Flyer on an industrial heater ;)

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
Oh, but landing sideways is cheating. besides, foam aircraft carriers can't fit an industrial heater AND float. Not that I'm confident that it would float from the start, or handle the sky mule's weight being added' removed numerous times. Also, the props would cut up the foam nicely in the event of a crash. Nice concept, bad idea in my opinion.

Last edited:

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
With bomb sights and munitions ;)
I like the lead weight munitions idea :D

i also figured out what i'm building for nall
Yokosuka-Ohka-Launch-Drw.jpg

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
Oh, but landing sideways is cheating. besides, foam aircraft carriers can't fit an industrial heater AND float. Not that I'm confident that it would float from the start, or handle the sky mule's weight being added' removed numerous times. Also, the props would cut up the foam nicely in the event of a crash. Nice concept, bad idea in my opinion.
looks like there going to use grip tape to protect the deck. foam doesn't sink this can't not work in some sense!