Joining from MA

Bok

Hey everyone! I've been watching FliteTest for as long as I can remember, and in my opinion, it has to be the only channel with consistently good content. I've finally decided to join the forums at the end of this summer (arggh here comes high school), knowing that the community will definitely be helpful to me :) I've been flying RC planes (good ol' HobbyZone Champ) and other things in the past 2 years-ish, and now I've gotten into multirotors. This week, I've finally finished building my first tricopter, but it won't work, as expected... So yeah, this brings me to why I'm posting.

The KK2.1.5 always starts spinning motor 1 first, no matter how much I calibrate the gryo/accel. It's a bit frustrating, and I've swapped ESCs, and motors too, but the FC always spins up motor 1 first! Does anyone know why this might be happening? I don't think it's firmware because I just flashed 1.19S1.

kevparang

Well welcome to the forums good luck with your fix. I think you should try to replace the control board and/or reciever.

Bok

@Intrepidation From Boston :D

Did you calibrate the ESCs to the throttle?

Yeah, that was my problem :) . I'm using the cheap "XXD HW30A" ESC's, and now I've reflashed them with SimonK. It seems to be working now, but I still have problems... When I get it hovering, its starts yawing around like crazy, so I changed the rudder mixer editor setting from 100 to -100. However, it still keeps spinning around, just a little slower. Could this be a problem with the servo?

Bok

Make sure you have good servos, make sure to test your control surfaces, and the trottle.

Yeah, I replaced my servo (turns out it was analog) with a digital one, and I did some yaw calibration. Thanks for the advice! It's working well now.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Welcome to the FT Forums Bok! Glad to hear you got your tricopter sorted out. There's a bunch of us here who are in MA. There is a groups website to help with putting people near each other in touch for things like flying together, etc, if you were interested:

http://ftgroups.com/

Where do you fly? I live in JP, but joined CharlesRiverRC who fly primarily out of Sudbury/Acton. I live between there and Medfield so depending on what I feel like flying, I go to those sites. If I'm flying or testing small stuff, I tend to fly at the ball fields near Jamaica Pond or Franklin Park (by White Stadium).

Last edited:

Bok

Hi! It's nice to see so many people just replying to my poor little questions :p

I fly in West Roxbury (Billings Park), and I sometimes go to Millenium. It seems like it would be awesome to join a group like that! However, I can't cause I have soo much stuff on hand (school).

Also... my tricopter problems haven't ended yet :/ I did get it to hover, but it always drifts to the left. I thought this was just a hardware problem, so i swapped out the front left motor, but it still does that, so I checked the KK board. On the "Output Sliders" section, it shows that motor 1 is receving less power. Does anyone know why? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Chris