Jr xg8

Looks like the same platform with less channels. Interesting to note that with JR's new protocol the transmitter won't work with DSM2.

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
I've heard that the ergonomics are awesome on this one, however the not being DSM2/DSMX compatible is a big letdown... :(.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Well, it's a whole lot more than a 9X.....but you get what you pay for. It's comparable to a DX8 but not compatible with any bind and fly aircraft. It's the new way JR is going to go, using their own 2.4 system. It also has an SD card slot for updates and model saves, plus an internal 30 model memory like the DX8. One upside is they will most likely have a lot better customer service since Horizon Hobby is the US JR distributor. It's a bit cheaper than the DX8 but I would still go with the DX8 because it can bind to all my bnf aircraft. I really like the price of the 9X but there's a lot of drawbacks.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
If I had it to do over again I'd for sure save my $400 instead of buying my DX8. I have a DX6i and love, love, love it, but the DX8 was a waste of money. There have been like three recalls for it already and of course mine is on the recall list. Horizon replacing it with a new DX8 really does nothing for my confidence. I've been doing it but I really don't like flying an expensive model on a radio that has known glitch/lock-out/brown-out/range problems.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I see your point. I had to send my DX8 back for repair because the timer/tone alarm quit working. I do like the features it offers, the telemetry is cool. I really wanted the extra channels and model memory so it was worth it to me to get the 8 over the 6. I fly 13 models and the simulator on my DX8 and I haven't experienced any glitches or brown outs with my system. All my crashes are pilot error and 1 servo failure. Still, with all the problems I've read about the turnigy 9X I don't think I'd trust a model to it either. The biggest concern for me is the customer service with Hobbyking. I've had horrible experience with them. The times I've had to talk to Horizon Hobby they've been extremely good to work with and had my DX8 back to me in a very reasonable time and did all the updates to it while it was there. So while price goes to Turnigy, after sales support definitely goes to Horizon. The biggest selling point between the two is the fact that all of my ultra micro stuff works with my DX8. I would have to buy a new receiver for all 7 models I'd be able to fly with the Turnigy 9X since that's all the memory it has. I'm not knocking the Turnigy 9X by the way, I'm actually quite interested in it as a recommendation to some friends but I have some quality concerns.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I see your point. I had to send my DX8 back for repair because the timer/tone alarm quit working. I do like the features it offers, the telemetry is cool. I really wanted the extra channels and model memory so it was worth it to me to get the 8 over the 6. I fly 13 models and the simulator on my DX8 and I haven't experienced any glitches or brown outs with my system. All my crashes are pilot error and 1 servo failure. Still, with all the problems I've read about the turnigy 9X I don't think I'd trust a model to it either. The biggest concern for me is the customer service with Hobbyking. I've had horrible experience with them. The times I've had to talk to Horizon Hobby they've been extremely good to work with and had my DX8 back to me in a very reasonable time and did all the updates to it while it was there. So while price goes to Turnigy, after sales support definitely goes to Horizon. The biggest selling point between the two is the fact that all of my ultra micro stuff works with my DX8. I would have to buy a new receiver for all 7 models I'd be able to fly with the Turnigy 9X since that's all the memory it has. I'm not knocking the Turnigy 9X by the way, I'm actually quite interested in it as a recommendation to some friends but I have some quality concerns.
The 9x is a $50 radio after all so it doesn't have all the features of the DX8 but if you're on a budget or getting started, it's a lot of radio for the price. As far as the DX8 goes, I wish I had bought the Futaba 8FG Super, it's a 14ch. radio and the same price as the DX8 with none of the recalls lol.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
True, but none of the BNF ability either. That's not important to everybody though. Again, not knocking the 9X or anybody else, just pointing out that there are some concerns with the 9X. I hope they all get straightened out. I probably would have got one if they had them before the DX8 came out.

Still, having horrible customer service with your 50 dollar radio is just as frustrating as horrible customer service with a 1000 dollar radio. I really really really wish that hobbyking was better to deal with after the sale. Just trying to cancel an order because one item out of twenty has been back ordered for 5 months takes an act of god.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Personally, I recommend using whatever brand of radio your local club tends to use. Or the people you fly with. It makes learning your radio easier when you can just ask someone to show you. Especially when you're trying to program things. It's also nice to have the ability to connect controllers with a trainer cable when you are learning or maybe when you get your first low wing plane etc. and want to have a pro there to help you out. If I flew with my brother all the time I would have bought a futaba because that would have made my learning curve a whole lot shorter.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Right, but that's what my DX6i if for.

Okay but if you are debating the 9X as a beginner radio for someone starting out or on a budget then they probably aren't going to already have a DX6i. They're going to be looking for one radio to get started. If BNF is important.... I'll stop torturing this dead horse now.