JR XP 8103 Orange rx Module.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hey all,
I have been debating switching over two the orange RX/Spektrum recievers off of my 72MHz Radio system, but I have heard many hrror stories about terrible lack of range without a satellite receiver.
What is your average range using the basic 6 channel Orange RX recievers with out a satellite?
Also when it comes in, Range with the orange RX Module?
Thanks,
Foam Addict.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The module is very new to Hobbyking, so nobody knows what it's like yet. Mine has been shipped but probably won't be here before next weekend. I'm expecting it to be decent quality, as it's highly likely to be made by FrSky.

But long story short, you won't get any 2.4Ghz system (even the best ones) to get the range you get from 72Mhz. The main two advantages of 2.4 are the antenna size and being able to fly with other people without having to think about it.

I've heard horror stories about stock receivers that have been addressed by using Orange receivers. I've also heard (less) stories that go the other way around. But most people can get as much range as they can see using these receivers, without using satellites.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I have one Spektrum receiver that I use with the satellite port with but only because it came with the plane.
I get out quite far with it but I believe I get as far with my Orange recievers.
I use the Orange 6ch receivers exclusively for all of my other planes without the satellite receiver.
I fly my planes out far and so high they become a dot and haven't had a range issue yet.
The satellite receiver doesn't really do anything to increase the range, what it does do is add diversity, if part of your plane (motor, esc, batt,carbon fiber or whatever) blocks the signal from one antenna, the theory is that hopefully the signal will not be blocked on the other antenna...

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Thanks both of you. LM, I've been watching your thread on the orange RX DSM2/X and debating getting it.
The main reason I would like to get it, is the flying field I go to has Power lines surrounding it, and the lines sometimes Nail 72Mhz frequencies, resulting in a 1-5 second lock out. I nearly got killed by my skyraider Mach 2, when it locked out at full deflection from 700 ft up due to these lines. I do have a 2.4ghz radio System I really like, but it's mixings are limited, and the recievers are $30-$45.
I'll keep watching Your Orange RX thread, and be sure to tell about the quality and range!
Thanks again.
Foam addict

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
No worries. I was pretty lucky to get the buddy code on that, so if it's junk I haven't lost much. And I can give the rxs to glydr. But I'm pretty sure it'll be an acceptable system.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Oops, very remiss of me to forget this thread. Rob, you've missed a bit of drama where there was a fault with the initial batch of modules. Hobbyking, very uncharacteristically, sent out a new module to purchasers of the first batch.

I've now got 4 models running on $6 OrangeRx receivers with no issues (yet). I mount my receivers with the antenna pointing straight up to the sky, which is the optimal position (seriously, how often do you heavily bank the plane at the edge of visual range...?). I trusted the system enough to maiden my beautiful new Christmas present of a Durafly Ryan STA (the balsa one) and very cool 1400mm J3 with these receivers.

I did emphasise the antenna position for a reason, as you WILL get glitches with OrangeRx (and probably Spektrum) gear with only 1 antenna if it's not correctly oriented as you get about 300-400m away. Interestingly enough, I never had to worry about that with the stock FlySky system...

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Ok, After waiting a looong time to avoid being an "early adopter", "Unpaid beta tester" ETC. I ordered the module last night. It should get here while I am in Germany, Unless Hobbyking manages to get the Module here in a week.
I broke down after seeing the price of JR ZPCM receivers on EBAY.:eek:
I have had major glitches on my ppm receivers, and my field is surrounded by power lines that deliberately glitch planes only in awkward situations!