jrCessna O-1 Bird Dog (Intermediate Build Trainer)

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
Well, its coming together pretty nicely. I'm not crazy about the wing mount. I have to see how others have done that for high wing planes. I also realized I messed up the fuse taper (top/bottom view). I should have tapered from the nose back to the start of the cockpit then continued a lesser degree of taper all the way back.

I didn't start tapering until the rear of the cockpit so the cockpit is looking pretty wide. It should fly fine and I'll finish this one since its almost done, then I'll update the plans with a more scale representation. I have to do the Bird Dog justice.

I think a pair of skis is in order for the landing gear with the record-breaking snowfall we've had this year.

Last edited:

twodogs

Glad to hear of the progress. Here is another resource for you. Cessna_OE-1_Sheet_A.jpg Cessna_OE-1_Sheet_C.jpg

It looks like the nose is parallel until about mid cabin, between the side windows, then begins to taper back. The top of the cabin makes a sharp taper inward at the same point for the back window.

Last edited:

twodogs

My bad, it does start the taper back at about the landing gear/strut attachment points. Just so you know, when you get to test flying, the full size and all the models I've researched all had a problem with ground looping. Some have actually put heading gyros in them for take off and landing.
good luck,
Brad

JohnRambozo

My bad, it does start the taper back at about the landing gear/strut attachment points. Just so you know, when you get to test flying, the full size and all the models I've researched all had a problem with ground looping. Some have actually put heading gyros in them for take off and landing.
good luck,
Brad

Thanks, twodogs. I guess I wasn't as far off as I thought. I must be getting some images of variations on the original design.

JohnRambozo

A lot of the 3-views you find on the net are done by artists from pictures or looking at the subject and not from technical drawings. two of the best birddog kits (vailencourt and trittle) both have the top of the cabin wrong, vailencourt says it's easier to build straight and judges won't catch it, but it's still wrong.
Interesting build thread here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-...837866-25-cessna-l-19-0-1-bird-dog-build.html

Brad

That's a great discussion and pretty amazing skills over there. I'd love to build a 1/4 scale some day.

I didn't read it all yet but I did catch the part where they talk about the scale sized former vs. the non-tapering shape from the plans.

Its deceptively complicated in there but I'll make it work. I'll probably have to break it down into just the lower fuse with upper formers and side panels for the cockpit.

I actually have the prototype ready to go, except for landing gear and windshields, both of which I'm doing today.

JohnRambozo

Great! Eager to see this one in the air.

I updated the first post with progress pics up to completion. I have to say, I don't hate it. :)

I'm really excited to get it off the ground. Unfortunately there are several feet of snow covering pretty much all of New England. Its finally in the 40s and starting to melt which makes for some very wet snow. I am considering flattening out a n airfield in the snow at my favorite park.

I do still want to go through a second draft with attention to the fuse shape around the cockpit. The shapes I cut for this one didn't work out that great. I may also go back and do the curved turtle deck on the aft of the fuse. Its boxy now and doesn't look bad, but why not get as close to scale as possible?

What do you guys think?

twodogs

Looks really good now. With the attention to detail you've already done, and as long as you are redoing some of it, go for the turtle deck, I think you will hate it even less.

Looks great,
Twodogs.

JohnRambozo

Looks really good now. With the attention to detail you've already done, and as long as you are redoing some of it, go for the turtle deck, I think you will hate it even less.

Looks great,
Twodogs.

Thanks, twodogs. I think I have to agree. Rear turtle deck is a must for version 2. I want to get that cockpit area looking just right, too.

Even though its already less simple than my original concept, it came together really easily. I spent 3 sessions on it, total.

JohnRambozo

Have you considered keeping the wing flat over the cab and starting the dihedral at the edge of the cab.

Great job! Keep it going.

That's a good suggestion. I think I will do that for the next one.

Have you seen any kind of sturdy landing gear designs? The ones for the FT Storch are nice and strong but I'm trying to keep it scale looking. The basic FT single wire design is pretty flimsy. I'm sure it will work but something stronger would be nice.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
You could try just using the lower half of the storch landing gear (the part that doesn't go to the top of the fuselage). Otherwise, thicker wire should work.

JohnRambozo

You could try just using the lower half of the storch landing gear (the part that doesn't go to the top of the fuselage). Otherwise, thicker wire should work.

Well, the wheels mount on the part that goes to the top. I suppose I could make it so that part connects in the same place as the rest... or as you said... thicker wire.

JohnRambozo

The weather is finally starting to warm up and some rain last night helped bring the snow height down a bit. I can even see grass near some trees, now. I'm seriously considering a maiden in the parking lot across the street from me.

In the meantime, I've started painting the prototype in the red and white U.S. Army paint scheme. I've added scale lettering and traditional Stars & Stripes emblems to the first post for anyone to download. You could really use them for any plane at all, but they are specifically sized for the Bird Dog.

I just have to paint the wings and a bit on the tail. Pics coming soon.

It should end up looking about like this (pic borrowed from Joker's balsa BirdDog thread):

Last edited: