JR's swappable Video Log: Crash 'em if you got 'em

mpmilesjr

Hello folks! I'm JR from Yuma AZ!!!! I'm new here, but have been lurking for a while. I started flying may 2012, and love FliteTest and all it represents. My first scratch build was a nutball! I have been building the swappable series and capturing some sweet videos of them, so if you want to waste some time and watch some goofy dude crash and re-crash his beloved planes....this is a post you will enjoy exploring. Thanks for checking my videos out and let me know what you think.

Last edited:

Liemavick

Mentor
Fun stuff! Welcome to the forum MP. Your going to love the more advance swapables, bloody wonder is a scream to fly.

mpmilesjr

I have some bloody wonder with streamer videos uploading to the tube right now, and I'm working on some Old Fogey and FTflyer night flying and indoor footage. I Had a Dynam Hawk Sky for my first airplane, then built a nutball swappable I never flew (because I discovered RCpowers V2jets). Lately, I have been building .25 size balsa ARF airplanes and learning that whole side of the hobby. I saw the bloody wonder and dart and nutball videos and the new kits flitetest is selling, and those things got me curious about the swappables again...Now I'm hooked and have several airframes and different power pods I switch out...Plans are to build the FTcruiser with dual ntm 2200kv and 7040 props, and also maybe all the others :)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
We'll have to hook up sometime. I'm here in Yuma and have built most of the swappables as well - also started with a Nutball about a week after the plans on it were released :D

I usually fly up at west wetlands every Saturday/Sunday morning when there's no one there - or head up to Picacho just past the pole line road of on the east side if it's later in the day.

Was hoping to maiden my spitfire today but my mom is visiting from Ohio and there just wasn't time. We may try to head up first thing in the morning tomorrow though.

mpmilesjr

Yuma huh?

We'll have to hook up sometime. I'm here in Yuma and have built most of the swappables as well - also started with a Nutball about a week after the plans on it were released :D

I usually fly up at west wetlands every Saturday/Sunday morning when there's no one there - or head up to Picacho just past the pole line road of on the east side if it's later in the day.

Was hoping to maiden my spitfire today but my mom is visiting from Ohio and there just wasn't time. We may try to head up first thing in the morning tomorrow though.
I live on 32nd between 5 and 6E...I have some YouTube videos of me flying at the wetlands. I love that park. I also build boats and need to get out to that pond for some testing. I fly right near my house and usually just drive my golf cart loaded with aircraft to whichever field is convenient for wind conditions. I plan on doing a night fly out off of 6E this evening; if you can get out this way I would like to meet up.
I might have to do a swappable airboat with one of the dollar hulls I have laying arround.

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Love the video of WW - I haven't flown anything with a cam on it there yet...but have been wanting to pick up a keychain camera for the smaller planes. I built an experimental airlines axon I used to hoist a CVS disposable camcorder I hacked a few years back but had no luck flying it (too much plane too soon.) I did get some really shaky video of Picacho with it...but I'm dying to get a camera up over the names out there someday.

We wound up over at Blaisdel today to maiden (and crash) the Spitfire. There were quite a few people flying out at the Yuma aeromodelers site so we had to go almost all the way back to the foothills to keep out of their hair (Want to check out their site but their dues are way too much for me.)

Got a couple friends who live out your way and keep saying I should come fly over some fields out there...but I crash too much to fly over fields I can't retrieve a plane from without angering some farmer :)

I'm pretty busy the next week and a half or so with family in town from back east but once they're gone we'll have to get together for some foam fun sometime. Would love to do some combat with my bloody wonder! Right now I just fly solo or with my wife and daughter along - but they only watch. Well, my wife crashes her Flyer a bit...but I need to get her her own TX and do a buddy box thing to really help her get the hang of it. She's great on the sim but give her a real plane and she's in the ground in seconds every time. She was starting to get the hang of my Old Fogey today....but she's still pretty intimated by the real thing.

mpmilesjr

Love the video of WW - I haven't flown anything with a cam on it there yet...but have been wanting to pick up a keychain camera for the smaller planes. I built an experimental airlines axon I used to hoist a CVS disposable camcorder I hacked a few years back but had no luck flying it (too much plane too soon.) I did get some really shaky video of Picacho with it...but I'm dying to get a camera up over the names out there someday.

We wound up over at Blaisdel today to maiden (and crash) the Spitfire. There were quite a few people flying out at the Yuma aeromodelers site so we had to go almost all the way back to the foothills to keep out of their hair (Want to check out their site but their dues are way too much for me.)

Got a couple friends who live out your way and keep saying I should come fly over some fields out there...but I crash too much to fly over fields I can't retrieve a plane from without angering some farmer :)

I'm pretty busy the next week and a half or so with family in town from back east but once they're gone we'll have to get together for some foam fun sometime. Would love to do some combat with my bloody wonder! Right now I just fly solo or with my wife and daughter along - but they only watch. Well, my wife crashes her Flyer a bit...but I need to get her her own TX and do a buddy box thing to really help her get the hang of it. She's great on the sim but give her a real plane and she's in the ground in seconds every time. She was starting to get the hang of my Old Fogey today....but she's still pretty intimated by the real thing.
The wetlands videos were done with a Dynam Hawksky heavily modified to carry a gopro in the nose. I have flown out at the aeromodelers field, but, like you, really cant justify their membership fees for the few times I might want to fly out there each year. If you contact them and ask, they will host your family to show you the field and even bring out a trainer and buddy box system for your wife to use. I did that when I started flying and it was awesome.
I'm not an AMA member, but would consider joining again if we could get a park fliers chapter going here in Yuma.

Flying in the fields by my house is safe, and no one bothers me EVER. I also have a spot on 6E with North and Eastward facing paved streets for my trainer's runways. Alfalfa fields are very cushy, and my favorite to land on if the craft has no gear. I like the wetlands, but every time I have gone to fly over there lately, people go out of their way to bug me or show up and decide to have soccer practice where I'm flying...nice thing is no soccer in alfalfa fields. Last time I ran my boats at the wetlands pond, someone asked me to stop because the sound was "ruining" some wedding people decided to have IN A PUBLIC PARK...go figure.

I have the perfect spot for foamy combat right near my house. I would do it early AM at the wetlands too if we beat the crowds. I have never flown mine without a streamer, and really want to try and cut someone up in the air lol...I would like to see the spitfire fly too. My friend and I have done a few custom swappables I will need to show off as well.