Jsknockoff EVA Build Thread

jsknockoff

Mentor
I opened my wing kit last night to break out the instructions for a once over before building starts. My first impression was that it was odd to build a balsa kit without a plan, haven't done that before. Secondly, I was a little surprised by how lightly built the plane will be based on the provided materials. Normally on a kit designed for glow or gas the materials are much more robust. Over all the kit looks to be very nicely cut and the wood is all pretty good quality and most importantly straight.

I'm going to be building my EVA exactly by the book (with the exception of larger wheels for flying out of grass), and I will try my hardest to be a reference for the first time builders in the group. Please feel free to use my build thread as a Q&A, I will do my best to check in several times a day.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'll add your build thread to the list of builders.

A couple things you'll notice as you build the EVA - the plans aren't needed. Surprising as that sounds, they absolutely aren't required since the parts all fit together so well it all "jigs" together and gives you a perfect build. The only thing you really need is a flat surface for gluing.

Also, the plane really is a light build, which is why they recommend the SoLite covering. The Switchback and Dandy from MM are the same light design, and they work great. The light design keeps the weight down and helps make a great flying plane, and these aren't over-built to handle gas or glow. MM does a great job in engineering a plane to fly well.

Don't forget to take the pushrods off the back side of the packing cardboard! They're easy to miss.

jsknockoff

Mentor
I ordered all my electronics and hardware today. Decided to go with:

Turnigy 2215-900kv
Turnigy 25 amp esc

I'm just guessing at motor size and I'm hoping that this motor won't be too much for the EVA. Once again I'm very surprised by how light this plane is going to be built. I'll be starting the wing tonight (start time was pushed back to today, had to work a double shift yesterday). Looks like it's going to go together much faster than anticipated, I kinda wish I had ordered my electronic items earlier.

Good call on the pushrods on the cardboard. I could definitely see accidentally throwing them out.

jsknockoff

Mentor
Had a chance to get started tonight. So far all I can say is that I'm a little disappointed. Some of the laser cutting did not go all the way through requiring me to cut all the parts out of one full sheet, not that big of deal. When I started dry fitting the pieces not all of the tabs lined up exactly so I had to trim some of the tabs and clean up the slots in the leading edge. One perpendicular price to the spar was not straight so I had to pin it down to the building board to cure. The other was straight as an arrow. Hopefully it gets better from here.

IMG_1612.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I'm guessing the tab issue was from having the piece in the wrong orientation? I think the tabs were evenly spaced making that easy to do. Sounds like you got a harder sheet of balsa if it didn't cut through. My aileron sheet was like that in a few spots, but was quickly cut out.

jsknockoff

Mentor
The parts were positioned correctly they can only go on one way and still line up on the ends. Not a big, once I cleaned them up a little it went together okay.

jsknockoff

Mentor
Time has been tight for the past few days, a coworker's father died so I have been covering some shifts for him. Anyways, had a chance to do a little more work on the wing over the weekend nothing crazy but I got the ribs all set on the spars and glued. I'm planning have a few hours of build time tonight so I will get some pictures posted and hopefully have the wing finished and ready for covering.

jsknockoff

Mentor
Wing panels are ready to sand, and ailerons are glued up. Hopefully if all goes well I'll do some covering tomorrow or Tuesday.

IMG_1657.JPG

jsknockoff

Mentor
Finished sanding the wing panels and moved on to the fuse. I strayed from the instructions a little here and shuffled the order around a bit on the assembly. I didn't like how the directions had me putting the triangle stock on after the sides were tacked in place. I felt it would make the structure stronger by glueing the triangle stock in place before adding the sides into the equation. Hopefully I didn't shaft myself for a step later down the road.

IMG_1669.JPG

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I thought about making this deviation from the instructions too, but after dry fitting it together a couple times I went with the book option. From looking further down the road, that outer corner where the triangle stock lives will be sanded in really deeply to make the rounded fuse shape, so I think we're safe from little alignment issues either way.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Without glue the triangle stock slides in perfectly. A little ca dripped in and I'm happy with it. Gluing before assembly shouldn't pose a problem.

jsknockoff

Mentor
Made some major progress on the EVA over Christmas break. I'm kinda slacking on the pics since some of the other guys have been doing such a great job with documentation of their builds. I've been stuck trying to make a decision for the past few days, I'm not a big fan of the cowl that came with the kit. I don't care for the design and I feel like it's a little too flimsy for my liking. Soooo, I will do what I said I wouldn't do and stray from the exact kit I was sent by building a balsa cowl. After that it will be ready to cover. I'll post some pics of the cowl as I build incase anyone is interested.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Personalizing is what makes building with balsa so much fun. Definitely post up your progress. I'd love to see a built up cowl.

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
When using the stock cowl, do you guys carve out the side openings for air flow in addition to the main propeller shaft hole?

Turbojoe

Elite member
Yes, I open mine up. I'm with Joker in that I'm fine with the stock cowl but always love to see whatever mods someone comes up with. What is it you don't like about the stock one? Just curious.

In that same vein I was thinking about making this newest EVA cowl magnet mount. Neodymium's and locating dowels and it won't go anywhere. I've attached the built up cowl on a Herr V-35 Bonanza that way as well as all the armament on my MM Tyro 150. We know it works great on canopies.......

Joe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I like the shape of the stock cowl, but I always love to see modifications and remixes on everything from planes to music covers.

Also, I get bugged by surface finish differences of painted plastic next to covering when the colors or textures are just off by a tiny bit. Concerned I might run into that on my build :black_eyed:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nice job. I love seeing things come together like that. I have to do that too when I build stuff if I have to stop before it is finished. Ill set the peieces together to give inspiration for the next time I sit to work on it.