July 2012 Director's - UPDATE

Brandon28

Hey i just wanted to let you guys know that I love this channel and have been watching it for over a year now. I really like punkstar studios idea on a weekly raffle. I would totally enter and I am sure others would too. Its a great idea!

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Man, you guys on the forums have a lot of good ideas, and I agree with all of them for the most part.
This is a site about flying, so other forms of RC I personally do not want to see here. (Not that there is anything wrong with them, its just the site is Flitetest, its all about flight.)

As far as the funding, it would be good to get some of the planes Flitetest have built/designed with your logo. Either foam cut kits, ARF's, or even RTF planes. Because you guys have the experience of what works and what doesn't, I think most here would buy these planes and would do what they can to support the site.

Most of us work, (I know all of us do not) but maybe those of us that do can barter some of our services to you at Flitetest to help with the supplies, or something. I work for a ink manufacturer and I am sure I could donate some things for either garment printing, (T-shirts, hoodies and the like) or some of the printed banners, and other printed materials the site may need.

I am not sure how to help, but I think if you were to ask your viewers and members for the things needed, I think you may be surprised as to what we could come up with.

Make a list of some of the necessities and see if your viewers will step up. I will do what I can to help.

This site has been a God send to this hobby and to me personally.

Keep up the good work Flitetest, we need you guys!!!

And you have to keep Josh and Josh, the chemistry is just what I have been looking for, educational, entertaining, and elevating!!!

Thanks guys!!!

Brewshooter

Lots of ideas so far, my very new, two cents:

Don't rely on one funding source. I'm on sites for some of my other hobbies and the successful ones seem to take a multi-tiered approach, basic merchandising of logo products (shirts, hats, etc.), magazine subscription or products links on the main sites (some of the subscription price or cost of the purchase gets kicked back when they go through your link), direct sponsorship of shows along with more basic site advertisements, and user donations, specifically monthly automatic donations that can be set up through Paypal (these are completely voluntary and can be setup for low amounts of only $2 or $5 per month). I think the key is not to rely on one source and to diversify.

Anyway, keep it up, I bought a shirt recently and would love the opportunity to support you guys in other ways!

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Wow, this thread built up rather quickly! I'm sure I won't be able to respond to everyone comments directly. It looks like there is way more interest in mugs than I realized.

We have stickers and t-shirts. The problem is the shipping and handling. Our days could get filled rather quickly shipping so many orders. Any thoughts?

timnilson

Chad,

I am impressed at the number of great funding ideas that already were discussed in the first 3 pages of this thread.

Here is my feedback on funding options. The trick, to me anyway, is to review products that people actually want to learn about AND that the company making the product is willing to pay you for producing the video no matter what the outcome of the review. Let the reviews be honest. The manufacturer should feel good about their product and stand behind it -- even if the review is not all favorable. It should provide feedback that the manufacturer can use to improve his/her product(s).

I think it's much better to have many smaller sponsors than just one/two big ones. Any business that only has one client paying the bills is ultimately in an impossible position to succeed. As you know, I run a small company -- fpvmanuals -- and I make a number of RC products. I don't have the capital to sponsor you guys for a season or multiple episodes like a Horizon or HK, but I'm open to coming up with something to have you guys review any of my products if you and the community see value in that. I get many questions from prospective customers of my tricopter kit or QAV500 quad and having you guys do an episode on answering / educating consumers would be valuable to me, should be valuable to the prospective customers, and might create more interest. I think this could work for lots of products from lots of smaller manufacturers. You obviously don't want to make infomercials, but I think there is a winning combination in there somewhere.

Another thing would be to let the community vote on which products to review. All the companies that offer to send you products -- charge them a few bucks to have their product be one of the polling options. If their entry wins, you do a video with it and the company pays you for that as well. Smaller amounts of money that add up to more substantial amounts over time.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you succeed in finding a winning business model.

All the best,
Tim
fpvmanuals.com

gadgetmerc

UAV!!!!! I haven't purchased anything yet but I'm getting close to getting a DIY drones kits. I can't speak for them, but I bet they would even hook you up with a kit and a couple bucks for an unbiased review. They seem really helpful and stand by their products. Unfortunately you'll get more questions that you can answer. Their product has a lot of options that might be more work than entertaining. But that's my vote.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
. .Our days could get filled rather quickly shipping so many orders. Any thoughts?
Like I said earlier you don't want something that will create more work for you. I assume the sponsorship with HK didn't consume that much time?? or did it? I myself like sponsorship because it leaves you guys time to do the show and not focus on posting out T-Shirts and stickers. Could you run an advert in the middle of the show?

roTbear

Like others have said, episode by episode sponsoring could be the way to go. You will probably just get the planes the shops are most confident will get a good review, but we really just want the good stuff anyway.

As for new topics, scratchbuilding balsa / ply planes is the natural continuation of the quick foam builds. I for one would love som tips and tricks on building wooden kits.

SteveOBHave

Wow, this thread built up rather quickly! I'm sure I won't be able to respond to everyone comments directly. It looks like there is way more interest in mugs than I realized.

We have stickers and t-shirts. The problem is the shipping and handling. Our days could get filled rather quickly shipping so many orders. Any thoughts?

Why not use a 3rd party to produce and distribute? I think Cafe Press has about the best there is out there at the moment. Of course the margins may not be as good but it would take the onus of all the work off you. they will do a whole swag bag full of goodies all with your logos on it and they're made to fill the customer order. Actually hold that - just looking a the site they already seem to have your details on there, is there something that I'm missing?

http://www.cafepress.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/dd/45994793

EDIT: they do seem to be quite a bit more expensive than Spread Shirt but they do offer a broader range of products.

Last edited:

Henkster

Firstly I need to thank you guys for inspiring me with a new hobby, it's the perfect compliment to snowboarding and kiting up here in Tahoe!
  • snowy day = snowboarding
  • windy day = kiting
  • nice calm day = pick a flying machine (from my raidly expanding quiver) and fly!

Also, I'm now flying an FPV quadcopter that's working well with my photography business. You've brought me a nice extra income stream, and I'd love to give back. Pop a donate button on the site, there's a few beers I need to buy you all ;)

Try a fulfillment partner, such as Amazon. They store, pack and ship everything. You get their UPS rates, and they take a small percentage for the trouble.

Or, how about partnering with someone that's already shipping product all day now? My significant other has a retail operation that has a pretty slick automated shipping system that could handle a couple of hundred extra orders a day for a fairly nominal cost, at a cost thats less than Amazon's. Drop me a PM if you want to explore the idea.

Henkster

As SteveOB said, you could sell through Spreadshirt or Cafepress, although the kickback comissions are a little weak compared to getting the stuff produced in bulk. But it's completely hands-off. Passive income FTW!

3DMad5

I Like SBach 342's
3D planes!!!!!!!

As for fundraising, I'd buy an entire flitetest wardrobe! You guys are awesome and I would hate to see you go away.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I like the idea of an advertisement during the middle of the show... Especially a hobby related ad. That way, you're not endorsing or reviewing a product to get the $$$. I bet any of the big (and possibly some of the small) people in the game would jump at the opportunity to have such a targeted, captive audience!

Interestingly, while I find many ads offensive, I'm not put off by RC advertising on RC related sites because I'm interested in what's out there.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
By the way, I still think that Hobbyking could have used you to launch some of their more exciting new planes, like the rest of the Durafly models, the Zephyr, the Retro Series, the Balsa Series... I'd say the Lancaster, but what a disaster... When they did this with the Bixler, Vampire and Funfighter series, they couldn't keep them on the shelves.

3DMad5

I Like SBach 342's
What about a flitetest magazine or email newsletter? People would pay to subscribe and would get additional info, behind-the-scenes features and reviews. Obviously it would have to be different to the website, or else there would be no value in it. You could also have interviews, ADS to get some funding, and articles written by different contributers.

crashmaniac

Hello Chad ,

You guys do a great job with these videos, however I don't know who does the sound mixing etc. but, in nearly every one recently the damn crappy music overshadows the voiceover, I love hearing your funny bits & the comments, tips, but with the music poorly mixed & too load, some of your review or voiceover is very hard to catch. I know music can help with the quite bits but don't let it be that loud that it drowns out your voices.

IMHO the music spoils the videos.

keep doing everything else though it's great !

I only wish I could fly like you Josh

I have a DH Tiger Moth 912mm, a J3 Cub 1400mm & a 1100mm DH Vampire, thanks to you !!

but I can't fly any of them yet lol

cheers

Also, I'm now flying an FPV quadcopter that's working well with my photography business. You've brought me a nice extra income stream, and I'd love to give back. Pop a donate button on the site, there's a few beers I need to buy you all ;)

CAREFUL!
You're exposing yourself to some huge fines.

FAA has recently suspended RC use for commercial photography use. Even the guys running camera gear on a RC copters for movies (always in line of sight - never FPV) have been shut down. They report they get the odd phone call from a perspective client offering work, only to find out it's the FAA checking up on them. They can only work out of country now. And these guys are pros with credentials out the wing wang and huge budgets.