Jumper T12 or Ts8g

Jeffer949

So I ordered a T12 last night but for some reason it hasn't shipped and now I'm doubting myself and am wondering if the ts8g wouldnt of been a better choice. This will be my first 2.4ghz Tx. Currently I'm using a really old futaba 4 channel that is still 72mhz.

I know I like the idea of the jumper multi protocol transmitters. But after I ordered the t12 I found that openTx isnt directly supporting jumper and jumper will kinda running there own variant of openTx. And the there is the ts8g which uses deviation. I hear some like it and some dont. But deviation is directly supporting jumper so that makes me think that may be better.

And then another part of me says just buy a flysky isx and then spend the extra money on more receivers and motors and the such.

Any input? Currently I'm only flying planes but I do want to get into fps flying and maybe try a drone at some point and I like the idea of being able to use the same Tx for it all.

d8veh

Elite member
The Jumper version of Open Tx is virtually indestinguishable from the version of Open Tx that I have in my Taranis. Basically, everything is the same. I find that the best advantage of the T12 is its small size and weight, which makes it much more robust than the Taranis. I can chuck it in my flight box with everything else. The Taranis has its own case, but even that is not enough to prevent the switches breaking. You can can get a Taranis for nearly the same price as the T12, but then you need to pay an additional $40 for the 4in1 module.

I haven't used the T8SG, so I can't say what it's like, but it's more expensive than the T12 and is much closer in price to a Taranis QX7 plus 4in1.

IanSR

Pros of the T12
Ultra programmable
Crossfire/R9 compatible

Cons of the T12
A bit awkward to learn but once you have your head around it, no problem.
Have to rely on JumperTX for updates (but I'm still running OpenTX 2.2.2)

Pros of the T8
Ultra programmable, perhaps easier than the T12 until you get used to it.

Cons of the T8
Does not support crossfire or R9 900mhz system.
(there is z way but it introduces lag)

Unless you specifically want a T8, stick with the T12, Ive had both and now I've got used to the T12, I'm used to that.

IanSR

The Jumper version of Open Tx is virtually indestinguishable from the version of Open Tx that I have in my Taranis.

So if you dumped OpenTX 2.2.3 or whatever the newest version is onto a T12, would it brick it?

Jeffer949

Ok. Thanks for the info. I think I'll just leave it alone. Even though for some reason it hasn't shipped yet and I ordered it 2 days ago from Amazon. Weird

d8veh

Elite member
So if you dumped OpenTX 2.2.3 or whatever the newest version is onto a T12, would it brick it?
IIRC, Open Tx does a compatibility test or vheck before installing, so that's not possible. You canonly update the Jumper through the Jumper website, not from the Open Tx one.

Just to complicate matters, I've just seen this on Ebay. That's hardly more than the 4in1 module on its own. Free shipping too:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jumper-T...442f585184:g:8GIAAOSwC45cCS5f&redirect=mobile

IanSR

IIRC, Open Tx does a compatibility test or vheck before installing, so that's not possible. You canonly update the Jumper through the Jumper website, not from the Open Tx one.

Just to complicate matters, I've just seen this on Ebay. That's hardly more than the 4in1 module on its own. Free shipping too:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jumper-T...442f585184:g:8GIAAOSwC45cCS5f&redirect=mobile

Curious, 2.7ghz, priced about between the T8lite and the T8... Just saying...

Shame about having to rely on Jumper, atm I don't need to update, it works, but I suspect eventually I might have to. I don't know why OpenTX threw a wobbly anyway, isn't the nature of open source software to put it on whatever will run it?

Also. What are some cheap receivers I can buy? Not sure of what protocol I prefer. Cheap is best right now though

If you only want cheap, cheerful and works, then there is a Jumper T8 Lite that is about £35 here but it only has FrSky and FlySky protocols, I don't know how good it is because I don't have one, but I've recently switched to FrSky from Spektrum and won't be going back, far better range and penetration round the back of the trees in our flying field.

d8veh

Elite member
Also. What are some cheap receivers I can buy? Not sure of what protocol I prefer. Cheap is best right now though
I use the cheapest Orange DSMX receivers. They cost about $4 each from Hobbyking. I've not had any problems with them, though I only use them for Flitetest planes. Hobbyking lists them as DSM2, but they have DSMX written on the label.

d8veh

Elite member
Curious, 2.7ghz, priced about between the T8lite and the T8... Just saying...

Shame about having to rely on Jumper, atm I don't need to update, it works, but I suspect eventually I might have to. I don't know why OpenTX threw a wobbly anyway, isn't the nature of open source software to put

If you only want cheap, cheerful and works, then there is a Jumper T8 Lite that is about £35 here but it only has FrSky and FlySky protocols, I don't know how good it is because I don't have one, but I've recently switched to FrSky from Spektrum and won't be going back, far better range and penetration round the back of the trees in our flying field.
It's not a true version of Open Tx. Functionally, it's the same, but they adapted it to work with the Jumper transmitters. I don’t know all the details, but essentiaļy it's a Chinese knock-off version.

According to most of the reviews, the T8 Lite is a big step down in quality. Many of the reviews mention gimbal centring problems.