Solved Jumper T12 set up problems

FDS

Elite member
Following from this post in another T12 thread and thanks to IanSR for a reply I have started this thread to help fix the following.

• Eachine 010 won’t bind at all, it’s this board-
B97F1CC6-A5CF-4D79-848E-7D90C69B344B.jpeg
  • I have bound it to my Sport Cub but it took an hour of work to get the channels sorted out and SAFE seems not to be activated by switches even if I set them up, plus there seems to be automatic mixing happening which it doesn’t do when set up on the Orange RX6i.
  • I have bound it to a Lemon RX DSM2 receiver, BUT in this setting it requires rebinding every time you turn it on, the autobind option is not in the menu. Fixed.
I will look further at the settings later tonight for the DSM2 to double check, any recommendations for a decent tutorial series? If not I might just make one as I go.

Last edited:

IanSR

Yup I can confirm it doesn't bind to the newer E010 board, I guess we'll just have to wait for a JumperTX update that fixes this (have you tried 2.2.3? I have not as I am an honourary member of the don't fix what isn't broke club).

Regarding the Sports Cub, I'm guessing you could have accidentally introduced some mixing by mistake when setting up, I know from experience if you tap the wrong control while setting up expo it'll do some funny stuff - try deleting the model and starting again?

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
Ok, I have firmware 2.2.2, what is the easiest way to upgrade the firmware? Should I back the TX up to SD card first? I have no pc at home, we have a chrome book.
I didn’t set any expo on the Cub, since SAFE does all that. Having another look at the DSM2 bind tomorrow.

IanSR

I don't know, I don't fix anything that isn't broke.
The upgrade instructions are on the Jumper website, I presume.

Let me know how it goes, ill be interested to hear how easy or hard it is, I think all you do is extract the zip to the firmware folder on a micro sd card and install it from there in the engineers menu, but as I say, mine works fine, so it won't be "fixed" until it needs to be.

IanSR

Page 4, push and hold input to edit, select edit, expo can be entered from there, part way down the page.

FDS

Elite member
Page 4 is Flight Modes, edit of that says nothing about expo? I did find Expo on the inputs menu, once you edit the input.
Sport Cub is still not getting safe mode on or off or panic switch yet. Mixing may be to do with AS3x/SAFE, still investigating.

Last edited:

IanSR

Yeah inputs menu @FDS mine is page 4 but no worries, could be a bit different (might be page five, depends on where you count from, sorr).

For info I never got the panic switch to work with the t12, it's been a while since I tore apart the DX6's that came with my Cubs but iirc the panic switch was wired inline with the mode switch so when you pushed the panic switch it momentarily "switched"the modes to the novice one without moving the switch, I remember being curious as to how they'd done it because when you let go of the button it returned to the previous mode and that was how they had achieved it in the controller I had.

You might be able to trick it into doing it with switches, but I didn't bother, I eventually got used to just flicking the mode switch back to novice if I got into trouble.

In the dub manual it tells you what channel to assign the arm and mode switches too, also don't forget safe (and the mode switches) don't work until you have armed it and blipped the throttle.

FDS

Elite member
Yes, I was aware of those issues, I got the panic switch to work on my Orange TX6I fine.
I read elsewhere that you need all throws for Spektrum equipped BNF to be set to 80% in OpenTX since it creates the equivalent of 125% throw in a Spektrum system.
I have now got it flying OK in full rates with no recovery or safe switching, I just have to sort that.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Yes, I was aware of those issues, I got the panic switch to work on my Orange TX6I fine.
I read elsewhere that you need all throws for Spektrum equipped BNF to be set to 80% in OpenTX since it creates the equivalent of 125% throw in a Spektrum system.
I have now got it flying OK in full rates with no recovery or safe switching, I just have to sort that.

That's only so in really old versions of the software, or if you override the default configuration before flashing. Do you know what version you have? The current default is 100% rate limits:

https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY...b1b5936a28dd54a3/Protocols_Details.md#DSM---6

FDS

Elite member
Thank you, 100% or 80% still didn’t activate SAFE. Info on running SAFE models with newer Open TX is thin on the ground. Here are my principal settings so far.
ACDD7195-002A-44E5-B3DD-F23034642DAF.jpeg 338349CF-65C8-4691-B8F8-53969354276F.jpeg 0AE723A4-68B5-4764-B39A-178A682786A5.jpeg DACEC884-E513-48A2-A85D-13807B2FBED8.jpeg
The outputs are now set to 100%.

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I implement SAFE/the panic button a number of ways -- and haven't really standardized a way. Part of that is because different Horizon flight controllers have different ways of dealing with the panic button and flight modes. Generally speaking, I think on newer systems, SAFE is usually the beginner flight mode. I have a NanoCPS micro heli that seems to behave that way. In that setup, my momentary switch (SH, I believe) is setup to basically override the flight mode channel with whatever is the value for the beginner flight mode. I forget if that's max or min channel. It might actually be a specific range. I'll have to look when I get home this weekend.

I know that on my Delta Ray, the flight mode switch (beginner, intermediate, advanced) flight modes was on one channel (5 most likely) and the SAFE/Panic button was on the next one, which probably was ch6. Setting that up was simple, since just assigning SH to CH6 was all I needed, if I remember correctly.

FDS

Elite member
That is what I did on my Orange TRX6i, it worked fine, but Open TX does the switches and channels differently. Channel 5 is indeed Safe on (beginner), Low rates med expo, high rates low expo as a 3 pos switch, with channel 6 as a momentary switch panic button.
If you get a chance to screen shot any Open TX set ups that work that would be amazing. I think the long term solution will be to fix it in OpenTX companion.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
safeconfig.png

Basically, the first screenshot (going from left to right, up/down) is my Delta Ray mixer setup.
The others are from a NanoCPS, a flybarless collective pitch heli (blade pitch is ch6) that implements the flight modes AND panic all on channel 5. It's kind of funky how I implemented my CPS config. I used the flight modes with global variables to override the channel values depending on the switch setting.

Hope that helps! While I don't have my TX with me, since I store my OpenTX configs on the cloud, I was able to set this up at lunch while at work. I downloaded the latest 2.2.3 CompanionTX and loaded my config, then generated the screenshots via the builtin simulator screenshot function. The fact that I can run OpenTX Companion on Mac or Linux allows me to run this setup at work because that's all I have to work with at my desk.

FDS

Elite member
I have cracked the safe mode switch, I now have all 3 flight modes working.
I started again from scratch, I had been confused by how Open TX labels it’s functions, I will put a write up on how to bind and set up the Sport Cub S which will cover the other UMX micros with Safe.
I have also cracked the panic switch.
Thanks to all who contributed, each part helped me get my head around what is going on.

Last edited:

Jeffer949

Not directly on topic but I made a mod to my t12 last night. Ive been flying my inductrix fpv plus with it and was fine at home. Went to a fun fly where they had a track set up and i found myself not keeping the sticks centered for rudder and ailerons when i was using throttle and elevator. I have already tightened up the springs to the max on the RTC. I have an old Hitec TX that Ive robbed parts from so I went and checked the spring size and They are much stronger. Little longer but I was able to bend the hooks tighter and shorten them. Now I have a much more positive feel on my RTC and actually know if I am turning or not.

IanSR

I have cracked the safe mode switch, I now have all 3 flight modes working.
I started again from scratch, I had been confused by how Open TX labels it’s functions, I will put a write up on how to bind and set up the Sport Cub S which will cover the other UMX micros with Safe.
I have also cracked the panic switch.
Thanks to all who contributed, each part helped me get my head around what is going on.

Regarding the e010, I think I may have found the solution (or a solution that worked for me) to the not being able to bind the newer models to the t12, the culprit is the small silver cylinder which I think is something to do with frequencies.

I read on another forum that as far as their developers were able to discover, nothing had been changed in the protocol and that the only change they saw with the newer models was a different frequency thingy, I didn't know what this was so examined two boards (new and old) under a big magnifying glass and the only difference I saw was this cylinder thing, so being the arse that I am, I had plenty of old flight boards around that were either not used or destroyed, so I took the same item off an old Syma X5 board and soldered it on in place of the one on the newer e10.

Not expecting anything to work, I plugged in the battery to the e010, turned on the t12 and hey presto the bloody thing bound and was all ok, did a couple test flights to make sure, still works. It's all to do with the newer items being slightly different and thus incompatible with the chip in the t12's.

I have another "new" board that doesn't bind that I'm going to swap out this thing on with an old e010 board that was fried because my son plugged in the battery the wrong way next week just to be sure it wasn't a fluke, but I thought I'd let you know since you were having similar problems to me.

FDS

Elite member
That’s great info. Get some pics next time?
I am going to just buy the Beecore light FC board for £8 on both my minis, since it comes with a protocol that works.
It would be useful to get a source for the correct crystals as I doubt they cost much.

IanSR

I'll take some photos on the next one I do.

I've been running those beecore things (where are they £8?) but kept breaking them, they don't like certain types of hits into walls (whereas this e010 thing survived a flat out dive from the top of a school sports hall into the ground and walked it off like a bad fart, I also found with the right mix in the radio, these e010's flew better than the beecore even with mockingjay on them).