Jumper T12 Transmitter mini review.

d8veh

Elite member
I've had this transmitter a few weeks, but today was my first chance to try it out properly. In summary, it worked pretty well, so a general thumbs up.

For those that don't know about it, it uses Open Tx operating system, which is pretty well identical to the Taranis. If you haven't used Open Tx before, you need to watch a few Youtube videos on how to set up a plane. It's not that difficult after you've done a couple. You get the advantage of a lot of settings to get your plane perfect, though you don't need to go to all that trouble. It's not a plug-and-play transmitter. There are some settings that have to be done before you start, like switching off the internal RF module that doesn't exist and switching on the external one, adjusting battery ranges, etc. At first i wondered why my dual rates didn't work, until I figured out that the switches had to be added manually in the OpenTx setup.

It uses a JP4 in one Rf module, which can bind with just about any 2.4GHz receiver so it's extremely versatile, and I just noticed that Banggood reduced the price by 15%, which makes it a bargain until something else comes along.

On the downside, it's a relatively small transmitter. It feels a bit like a toy one, but it works like it should. The people that buy it probably won't be worried by the light spring tension and small gimbals because it's perfectly OK for normal fun flying.

The only real problem I've had with it is that it won't auto-bind with my cheapo Motive-RC R8SB receiver. I have the auto-bind box ticked in Open Tx, but it only works if there's a short duration between switching off the Rx and then on again. I don't know how long, but 30 minutes is too long. In that case, I just bring up the bind box in the Open Tx and select it to make it flash, and the receiver binds after a few seconds. I don't need to do anything to the receiver. I don't know if it's a receiver or transmitter problem. Also, the transmitter is a bit weird when it comes to binding. I have a Taranis, and when I activate the bind box, it flashes and continues to flash until it binds so you have all the time in the world to fiddle about with the Rx until you bind it. The Jumper T12 only flashes for about 5 seconds, then stops. I guess it exits bind mode at that point, but I'm not sure. This makes it a bit of a palava to get the initial bind. You have to have everything ready, then you've got 5 secs to put down the transmitter, pick up the receiver and battery connector, hold down the bind button and get it connected. It normally takes me a few attempts to get it right. It would be easier with a helper.

So far, all I've done is a simple 4-channel setup with triple rates (3 posn switches) and differential. I haven't used the telemetry other than using the RSSI for range checking. The next plane will have a stabiliser and more complicated setup, so I'll report on that back here when I get it working.

Overall I'm happy with the T12. It cost me about £80 and does just about everything my Taranis does, plus it can bind with just about any receiver. I bought it more out of curiosity than necessity. Also, I have a couple of Hobbyzone BNF planes with Spektrum receivers that I couldn't use because my Spektrum Tx has RF problems. I could have bought just the 4 in 1 module (£30 from Hobbyking) for my Taranis, but I thought it would be useful to have a spare transmitter.

I'd be interested to hear from anybody else with one of these. Most of the reviews, just show what it can do. It's not until you do a complete setup and take the plane to a flying field that you discover issues.

IanSR

I had to send mine back to the retailer for exchange as the right hand aux wheel would turn off the controller randomly when moved, not a good example but I was overall happy with it.

Just waiting for the replacement to arrive but no worries as its raining at mo.

ShaneP

I've had this transmitter a few weeks, but today was my first chance to try it out properly. In summary, it worked pretty well, so a general thumbs up.

For those that don't know about it, it uses Open Tx operating system, which is pretty well identical to the Taranis. If you haven't used Open Tx before, you need to watch a few Youtube videos on how to set up a plane. It's not that difficult after you've done a couple. You get the advantage of a lot of settings to get your plane perfect, though you don't need to go to all that trouble. It's not a plug-and-play transmitter. There are some settings that have to be done before you start, like switching off the internal RF module that doesn't exist and switching on the external one, adjusting battery ranges, etc. At first i wondered why my dual rates didn't work, until I figured out that the switches had to be added manually in the OpenTx setup.

It uses a JP4 in one Rf module, which can bind with just about any 2.4GHz receiver so it's extremely versatile, and I just noticed that Banggood reduced the price by 15%, which makes it a bargain until something else comes along.

On the downside, it's a relatively small transmitter. It feels a bit like a toy one, but it works like it should. The people that buy it probably won't be worried by the light spring tension and small gimbals because it's perfectly OK for normal fun flying.

The only real problem I've had with it is that it won't auto-bind with my cheapo Motive-RC R8SB receiver. I have the auto-bind box ticked in Open Tx, but it only works if there's a short duration between switching off the Rx and then on again. I don't know how long, but 30 minutes is too long. In that case, I just bring up the bind box in the Open Tx and select it to make it flash, and the receiver binds after a few seconds. I don't need to do anything to the receiver. I don't know if it's a receiver or transmitter problem. Also, the transmitter is a bit weird when it comes to binding. I have a Taranis, and when I activate the bind box, it flashes and continues to flash until it binds so you have all the time in the world to fiddle about with the Rx until you bind it. The Jumper T12 only flashes for about 5 seconds, then stops. I guess it exits bind mode at that point, but I'm not sure. This makes it a bit of a palava to get the initial bind. You have to have everything ready, then you've got 5 secs to put down the transmitter, pick up the receiver and battery connector, hold down the bind button and get it connected. It normally takes me a few attempts to get it right. It would be easier with a helper.

So far, all I've done is a simple 4-channel setup with triple rates (3 posn switches) and differential. I haven't used the telemetry other than using the RSSI for range checking. The next plane will have a stabiliser and more complicated setup, so I'll report on that back here when I get it working.

Overall I'm happy with the T12. It cost me about £80 and does just about everything my Taranis does, plus it can bind with just about any receiver. I bought it more out KissAnime GroupMe Letgo of curiosity than necessity. Also, I have a couple of Hobbyzone BNF planes with Spektrum receivers that I couldn't use because my Spektrum Tx has RF problems. I could have bought just the 4 in 1 module (£30 from Hobbyking) for my Taranis, but I thought it would be useful to have a spare transmitter.

I'd be interested to hear from anybody else with one of these. Most of the reviews, just show what it can do. It's not until you do a complete setup and take the plane to a flying field that you discover issues.
I got a replacement easily. I just had to send them back and a few weeks later i received a replacement.

Regards,
Shane.

Last edited:

Dale Novak

I received the Jumper T12 plus transmitter as a Christmas gift. I was going to use it to fly my sons Exceed RC helicopter but no joy on binding to that receiver. My grand daughter has an FT Arrow wing using the Flysky i6X with a FS-iA6B receiver so I thought I would try that, but still no joy as it will not bind even though Flysky is configured in the menu. Not sure if this is a bad T12 plus or just bad luck on my part. Out of curiosity, has anyone here successfully used one of these transmitters with a Flysky receiver?

Dale

d8veh

Elite member
I received the Jumper T12 plus transmitter as a Christmas gift. I was going to use it to fly my sons Exceed RC helicopter but no joy on binding to that receiver. My grand daughter has an FT Arrow wing using the Flysky i6X with a FS-iA6B receiver so I thought I would try that, but still no joy as it will not bind even though Flysky is configured in the menu. Not sure if this is a bad T12 plus or just bad luck on my part. Out of curiosity, has anyone here successfully used one of these transmitters with a Flysky receiver?

Dale
The T12 has specific settings for Flysky. Which protocols did you try?

Dale Novak

Thanks for all the responses. To Merv, I tried the PPM mode to bind but that did not work. To d8veh, I went through all of the protocols listed in the menu for flysky but that also did not work. I also ordered a new Jumper s-fhss 4 channel receiver from amazon and that also did not bind. I think I just received a bad T12. I am going to return the unit and just get a new Flysky i6X like my grand daughter has as I know that works.

daxian

Elite member
not sure on the t12...i have the 4 in 1 as well ...in the flysky menu there is a setting for fs2a ,which works perfect for all my rx...(have around 30)have a look before spending more ...

Dale Novak

Thank you all for your help. I have sent back the Jumper T12 and decided to not try for a budget model on a transmitter and just invest in a high quality one instead. I am heading over to the post on how to pick the best transmitter. FYI, at the moment I'm looking at the FrSky Taranis X9D Plus or possibly the Radiolink AT10II.

Dale

Jeffer949

You guys having issues with connecting to receivers. On your external protocol setting. Are you choosing mutli then your protocol or are you trying to choose your protocol as the initial one? It needs to be Multi and then, dsm, afdhs, etc.

Also. I got my T12 new years eve and they redesigned the back case. It now accepts 18650 lion batteries and comes with a holder. I have many of these cells. I now just need a charger.