Jumper T16 binding FrSky G-RX8

ilusnforc

Total noob here and in way over my head, sorry!

I just got a used Jumper T16 and got it running the latest version of OpenTX 2.3.13
I got a brand new FrSky G-RX8 receiver I'm trying to bind so I first flashed it with the latest version of ACCST D16 v2.1.2 firmware.

Already this has been a steep learning curve but here's where I'm really lost...
I created a new model and have no idea what to set but I've tried:
Internal RF
Mode: MULTI, FrSky X, D16
Module Status: Module update recommended (V1.3.1.24 AETR)
Channel Range: CH1 - CH16
Receiver: 00

I select "Bind" then select "Ch1-8 Telem ON" and it chirps 3 times then stops.

This is while the receiver is in binding mode by holding the button while connecting power and get solid red and green lights which is what it should show when in binding mode and the red light should flash when binding is completed. I never see a change in the lights and after disconnecting and reconnecting power I just get a solid red light, not green like it should be when communicating.

I'm completely lost at this point and have no idea what to do. I assume I'm not using the correct options on Mode but have no idea what the correct option is to select, there are tons of options in there and that was just the closest I thought I could find and assumed it should work.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Bricks

Master member
Not sure if this helps but my Radiomaster TX16s once I push bind it chirps then I let off the bind button it will take any where from 30 seconds to a minute for the receiver to go solid this is binding to DSMX

nymtber

"Module Status: Module update recommended (V1.3.1.24 AETR)"

This is asking you to update your multi-protocol firmware.

https://downloads.multi-module.org/

select radio, download proper firmware. The site has instructions on how to do so, it's easy!

Also, do you have an INTERNAL or EXTERNAL multi-protocol module? If its external, you have to select that. The multi-module website has good info, and might have more answers as well :)

ilusnforc

I don't think it's so simple to update the internal module firmware. If I understand correctly, it doesn't have a bootloader so a CP210 adapter has to be used to flash it with a bootloader in order to be able to update the firmware. Since I got this radio used, I'm not sure if that has already been done or not and I'm not sure if there's a way to check if it has or not or if you can tell by the current version. I didn't think the current version would prevent me from binding a receiver though.

Bricks

Master member
I don't think it's so simple to update the internal module firmware. If I understand correctly, it doesn't have a bootloader so a CP210 adapter has to be used to flash it with a bootloader in order to be able to update the firmware. Since I got this radio used, I'm not sure if that has already been done or not and I'm not sure if there's a way to check if it has or not or if you can tell by the current version. I didn't think the current version would prevent me from binding a receiver though.

Hey if I can do it any one can I am totally illiterate when it comes to this kind of stuff, mine is the Radiomaster TX16s but should be the same. It was very simple to update the internal module download it hook up your radio via USB cable or SD card open folder for internal module drag and drop. Many tutorials on the internet on how to do it.

ilusnforc

I was able to successfully update the Multi-Module firmware to the latest version, however I'm still having the same issue with binding. When Bind is selected it only chirps 3 times then stops and nothing happens.

Bricks

Master member
I was able to successfully update the Multi-Module firmware to the latest version, however I'm still having the same issue with binding. When Bind is selected it only chirps 3 times then stops and nothing happens.

That is the way the TX16s seems to be when binding my Spektrum receivers it does the chirp then have to wait up to 30 seconds or more for the light on the receiver to go solid. Be sure your transmitter it at least 6 feet away from the receiver, usually I will turn around and put my body between the receiver and transmitter.

ilusnforc

Not sure this will help, but here is more info from multi-module's site:

https://www.multi-module.org/using-the-module/protocol-details/frsky-x

I figure no harm in sharing that at least. Hope you get it figured out soon!!!

That may be very helpful indeed...
"FrSky receivers running ACCST v2 firmware should use the FrSkyX2 protocol - they are not supported by this protocol."

Based on this info, it sounds like I should be using FrSky X2 protocol or I need to flash the receiver with v1 ACCST v1 firmware in order to use FrSky X (D16). I'll give that a try, this is exactly what I figured the problem was I just didn't know what protocol I should be using. Thank you very much!

ilusnforc

Using FrSky X2 D16 8ch worked successfully! Thank you!
Now my channels on the radio are all out of order, I'm trying to figure out how to fix that and what the correct order is. I believe I need to set it up as TAER? I think I got some bad advice from Joshua Bardwell and set it up as AETR and when I power on the radio I have to pull the right stick down to dismiss the throttle warning, and when trying to test the ESC I had to connect it on channel 2 on the receiver to use the proper throttle stick. This is a massive learning curve for me, but I'm slowly getting there. I also couldn't get the G-RXR receiver to run in 8 channel mode instead of 6 channel. I put the jumper on channels 1 and 2 when binding, when reconnecting the receiver I still get a blue light. Not a big deal I guess since I'll only be using 5 channels. I am getting telemetry data so that looks good. I still need to figure out how to program a throttle cut switch. Still a lot of work to go but one step closer now.

nymtber

I'm glad that helped!!! I just found that section of the multi-module site and thought it may be useful. It's a very useful site for anyone using the multi-module TX's.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I am making the transition from an old X9D+ to a TX16s and have been going through much the same path. Steep learning curve at first, but well worth the effort. Good job working through this!

nymtber

I did the following for a throttle kill:

Select desired switch, and in MIXES do the following:
-Set normal throttle to whatever direction you want that switch to be "ON"
-Create a copy of that channel directly under the throttle (hope you understand that)
-In that copy, set the same switch to the opposite direction (If using a 3-pos switch, you can set it to anything BUT the throttle ON position)
-Set Weight to 0%, and offset to -100%

There are a few ways to do it, I think, but this worked for me. I'm new to OpenTX, and I've found you can do a few things 2-3 different ways and get the same result... lol

Bricks

Master member
I did the following for a throttle kill:

Select desired switch, and in MIXES do the following:
-Set normal throttle to whatever direction you want that switch to be "ON"
-Create a copy of that channel directly under the throttle (hope you understand that)
-In that copy, set the same switch to the opposite direction (If using a 3-pos switch, you can set it to anything BUT the throttle ON position)
-Set Weight to 0%, and offset to -100%

There are a few ways to do it, I think, but this worked for me. I'm new to OpenTX, and I've found you can do a few things 2-3 different ways and get the same result... lol

The problem with this is if your throttle stick is up and you hit the switch accidently the motor will take off to what ever your throttle is at.

ilusnforc

I was able to figure out how to change the default channel order in the settings and got the throttle to the left stick so that was a big relief. Then all the channels were correct and I was able to plug everything into the receiver and test.

Still lots to do. I'll give it a try with adding throttle kill switch. Need to figure out how to add channel 5 for flaps and everything associated with that like flaperon, crow braking, etc. I took it outside to mess around a little and gave it an unpowered unpowered toss and it promptly did a nosedive into the ground and shattered the junk canopy. Did a powered toss and it flew briefly, got control and took the power off and it was gliding but quickly approaching a tree line so started to panic a little and it stalled, right wing dropped and it cartwheeled. No damage other than the canopy. Probably best if I take it out to the nearby R/C airfield and ask for some help. The kit was missing one screw for attaching arms to the servos so the one I left off was a flap. No response from Volantex yet, I'm probably on my own with that.

Any recommendations for a free simulator that has a glider?

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I was able to figure out how to change the default channel order in the settings and got the throttle to the left stick so that was a big relief. Then all the channels were correct and I was able to plug everything into the receiver and test.

Still lots to do. I'll give it a try with adding throttle kill switch. Need to figure out how to add channel 5 for flaps and everything associated with that like flaperon, crow braking, etc. I took it outside to mess around a little and gave it an unpowered unpowered toss and it promptly did a nosedive into the ground and shattered the junk canopy. Did a powered toss and it flew briefly, got control and took the power off and it was gliding but quickly approaching a tree line so started to panic a little and it stalled, right wing dropped and it cartwheeled. No damage other than the canopy. Probably best if I take it out to the nearby R/C airfield and ask for some help. The kit was missing one screw for attaching arms to the servos so the one I left off was a flap. No response from Volantex yet, I'm probably on my own with that.

Any recommendations for a free simulator that has a glider?
Rc desk pilot works great, huge selection of planes

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Just Google rc desk pilot...
And then also go to flitetest.com > articles, and then search rc desk pilot.. You'll find the additional planes that you can add on there.