Jumper T16 compatibility.

FDS

Elite member
There is a lot of open TX knowledge out there. I started knowing nothing about it and in a couple of days I learnt to set up models, including dual rates, expo and mixes.
It doesn’t work quite like other radio systems in how you set it up, in that nothing is pre set, for example elevon mixes, you have to set all the stick inputs, outputs and rates of mix up, where in a pre set system some of that work is done already.
Where that gets hard is translating something like Safe mode from Horizon Hobby, which is designed for their pre set gear, into the free flowing environment of OpenTX. That was harder and there was no internet info at all.
I got my Sport Cub S working great on the T12, I will do a video/post about it at some point. The 4:1 module supplied with the Jumper binds well with the Spektrum one and DSMX/DSM2.
OpenTX is far more powerful when fully exploited than closed systems, the options for mixes etc are virtually endless and it will do far more channels than you would need out the box, unlike some systems where they deliberately restrict some things to keep the set simple.
It can have full voice alerts and vibration feedback, which you can customise via a PC. The general radio programming can all be done in the handset.
The Jumper T12 has not got the support of say the Taranis in terms of tutorials, although the two run the same software they have different screens. This means it’s harder to get the idea of what a Taranis tutorial will be like on a T12. The T16 I can’t comment on since I don’t own one!
If you have an experienced buddy with Spektrum and you want to buddy box with them it’s easier with one of their radios.
If you are buying your first TX then you could consider cheaper options like the Orange TX6i, which is about $70 from Hobbyking. I got a second hand one of those to fly my Cub with, it bound straight away and took about two hours to set up. It has a much simpler system, with less options and is only 6 ch with no pots, only switches. It runs DSMX and the International version runs DSM2 as well. It doesn’t have the same Trainer port as other radios but does have usb connectors for flashing updates. Range is excellent, gimbal feel is good and it’s simple to set up Safe mode with.

Bricks

Master member
Looking at a picture of the Jumper 16 is there any sliders I did not see any, maybe I missed them.

Chubbs8a

There is a lot of open TX knowledge out there. I started knowing nothing about it and in a couple of days I learnt to set up models, including dual rates, expo and mixes.
It doesn’t work quite like other radio systems in how you set it up, in that nothing is pre set, for example elevon mixes, you have to set all the stick inputs, outputs and rates of mix up, where in a pre set system some of that work is done already.
Where that gets hard is translating something like Safe mode from Horizon Hobby, which is designed for their pre set gear, into the free flowing environment of OpenTX. That was harder and there was no internet info at all.
I got my Sport Cub S working great on the T12, I will do a video/post about it at some point. The 4:1 module supplied with the Jumper binds well with the Spektrum one and DSMX/DSM2.
OpenTX is far more powerful when fully exploited than closed systems, the options for mixes etc are virtually endless and it will do far more channels than you would need out the box, unlike some systems where they deliberately restrict some things to keep the set simple.
It can have full voice alerts and vibration feedback, which you can customise via a PC. The general radio programming can all be done in the handset.
The Jumper T12 has not got the support of say the Taranis in terms of tutorials, although the two run the same software they have different screens. This means it’s harder to get the idea of what a Taranis tutorial will be like on a T12. The T16 I can’t comment on since I don’t own one!
If you have an experienced buddy with Spektrum and you want to buddy box with them it’s easier with one of their radios.
If you are buying your first TX then you could consider cheaper options like the Orange TX6i, which is about $70 from Hobbyking. I got a second hand one of those to fly my Cub with, it bound straight away and took about two hours to set up. It has a much simpler system, with less options and is only 6 ch with no pots, only switches. It runs DSMX and the International version runs DSM2 as well. It doesn’t have the same Trainer port as other radios but does have usb connectors for flashing updates. Range is excellent, gimbal feel is good and it’s simple to set up Safe mode with.
Thanks for the response! I guess im willing to pay the extra cost if that meant that I wouldn't have to repurchase & relearn a whole new rc transmitter. 16 channels obviously is more than enough for me to use, hopefully down the road some demos will come out showing how to use this tx and bind planes with safe technology and bnf planes

I received my T16 yesterday. No instructions included. Anyone have a link to the manual? Also, suggestions for a receiver to use all the channels?

IMG_3237.JPG

Buffalo Man

I was wondering if the Jumper T16 was compatible with spektrum receivers.
I just ordered my Jumper T16 to go with a new AXN FloaterJet, but I'm am not sure what receiver to buy. After reading these post it seems any old receiver will work, but they're all unfamiliar to me. I want to eventually install fpv equipment and not sure if this is a factor or not. Any ideas?

FDS

Elite member
FPV will run off it’s own VTX, essentially a separate system altogether.
You should aim for 6+ channels, as that would give you plenty spare for camera control if you wanted servo pan and tilt. I would go with 8 as a minimum. If you want telemetry the cheapest options are FRsky or use the DSMX capability and go with a Lemon RX 7 channel like I linked above, as it comes with all the sensors included.
What you have to remember is that most quality receivers will work fine with the Jumper, provided the protocol they use is supported by the 4:1 module. Protocols are only the digital “handshake” that joins the TX to RX, they all work in a fairly similar manner and for the most part (despite manufacturers claims) don’t offer significant performance gains on their own.
Familiarity and ease of set up should be on your list of considerations if you are looking at a range of options.

wolframore

Hello - I just got a Jumper T16. It's really pretty cool. Since there are no instructions I had to wing it... :)

It looks pretty nice hopefully it lasts. Worried about dropping it.

I'm new to programmable radios.

Few observations... It needs instructions. Maybe the way to get some of it is through the openTX website https://opentx.gitbooks.io/manual-for-opentx-2-2/ .

It would be nice if there were default settings onboard, it would save time

All in all nice radio and I'm having fun figuring it out. I have some spectrum receivers and planes to mess with.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Hello - I just got a Jumper T16. It's really pretty cool. Since there are no instructions I had to wing it... :)

It looks pretty nice hopefully it lasts. Worried about dropping it.

I'm new to programmable radios.

Few observations... It needs instructions. Maybe the way to get some of it is through the openTX website https://opentx.gitbooks.io/manual-for-opentx-2-2/ .

It would be nice if there were default settings onboard, it would save time

All in all nice radio and I'm having fun figuring it out. I have some spectrum receivers and planes to mess with.
Manual here... https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uz1yO3Jz9jkX9jsb3EBRTsiD1NOuB920

wolframore

You're awesome Caroline! Thank you kindly... now I can actually read it and not guess at the icons... I did pretty good so far but couldn't figure out the curves.

bracesport

Legendary member
@FDS - I ordered a T16 yesterday :p - I am very excited to 'jump' into this platform on what looks to be a handsome Tx - although my FSi6s is a toy, it has no preprogrammed modes, so it should be a walk in the park setting up this beauty! I currently use the AFHDS 2a Rxs so that will also work fine!

FDS

Elite member
My son is waiting for a hall sensor gimbal version, then he will likely buy one. The T12 has been very good. I haven’t found anything except the Eachine 010 that it won’t bind with. I have bound well to AFHDS with it too.

bracesport

Legendary member
@FDS - you never know, I may need to pick your brain on open-Tx, but I will try not to bother you! I am watching your 'quadventures' on youtube!

FDS

Elite member
Happy to be bothered if it gets you started. Painless 360 has some good T16 content. Hoping to film more for YouTube, just been flying in the same spot which is less fun to look at.

jpot1

Elite member
Very interested in this thread. My dx6 is short a channel and was looking at this as an upgrade since it will work with my mostly DSMX receivers. Keep us posted on how you like it.

FDS

Elite member
DX6 has great resale value, you should possibly have a bit in your pocket after swapping! Here the DX6 is over $230 new. They go for well over $150 good second hand.
Be aware that the learning curve for OpenTX can be steep and documentation on the T16 is very limited.