Jumper T16 Help

I can't bind my receiver to the new Jumper T16. I am sure it's just my lack of understanding regarding the protocols, but I can't find a basic overview. The receiver is an OrangeRX R610v2 which is DSM2 compatible.
I can put the receiver into bind mode - rapidly flashing light, but it never connects to the radio. I've tried various settings, but no luck. I am not even sure of the difference between "internal RF" and "external RF".
Any help greatly appreciated!

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Internal RF means the module that is built into the radio, external RF is if you have a module in the module bay. Hope this helps.

Looks like the T16 comes with a multiprotocol module and no internal RF, so choose external.
Tried it, but still no go. I am pretty sure I just don't know what to enter for the rest of the information. That said, why would it list "internal RF" if it's not available?
It seems like a nice radio, but documentation is woefully inadequate. With it being so new, there's just little info out there.
Thanks for your input!

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Tried it, but still no go. I am pretty sure I just don't know what to enter for the rest of the information. That said, why would it list "internal RF" if it's not available?
It seems like a nice radio, but documentation is woefully inadequate. With it being so new, there's just little info out there.
Thanks for your input!

This is the first radio I've seen that doesn't have any internal RF, and I believe it runs a version OpenTx. Check out RCDiy's site for some good info on OpenTX.

FDS

Elite member
You need to set up the model like usual, select it, then the first page in set up is where you select the protocol etc, scroll down from the model name, channel order etc until you come to the RF section. Turn “INTERNAL” OFF. Below that should be “External” turn that ON, this is the the 3:1 module plugged in the back. It should have a light on when it’s powered up.
This should open a line below where you can pick the protocol, you want to select DSMX from the list. Don’t bother with DSM2, it’s not as good as DSMX but if the receiver you have is only DSM2 then you can select 22Ms as a sub type of DSMX from the menu.
Now you should be able to go and select bind, then get it bound.
Painless 360 shows this menu in this video and has a whole T16 series. This video covers setting up models etc.
It’s frustrating when you start learning and there’s no easy guides, Jumper is very poor with documentation in my experience and right now it’s a new enough radio that set up guides are limited.
Once you get the hang of how it works OpenTX and derivatives are amazing, but the learning curve can feel very savage at times.

bracesport

Legendary member
I have my eye on the jumper T16 - it is an interesting TX (as long as it will work with my AFHIDS 2 gear) it might be a strong contender for an upgrade rig!

FDS

Elite member
I have bound the T12 very successfully with Flysky, FRsky D16 , D8, DSM2, DSMX and Bayang. The T16 has the same module in it. My son is eyeing it but is waiting until Hall gimbals are offered.
I have had telemetry working fine where it’s been available from the RX.

Thanks, but that didn't work either. The only way to select DSMX is to select DSM2 and then select DSMX instead of LP45. I've tried both ways to no avail.

I think I'll just upgrade to the Spektrum IX12 and be done. Anyone near the Chicago burbs want to buy a Jumper T16?

You need to set up the model like usual, select it, then the first page in set up is where you select the protocol etc, scroll down from the model name, channel order etc until you come to the RF section. Turn “INTERNAL” OFF. Below that should be “External” turn that ON, this is the the 3:1 module plugged in the back. It should have a light on when it’s powered up.
This should open a line below where you can pick the protocol, you want to select DSMX from the list. Don’t bother with DSM2, it’s not as good as DSMX but if the receiver you have is only DSM2 then you can select 22Ms as a sub type of DSMX from the menu.
Now you should be able to go and select bind, then get it bound.
Painless 360 shows this menu in this video and has a whole T16 series. This video covers setting up models etc.
It’s frustrating when you start learning and there’s no easy guides, Jumper is very poor with documentation in my experience and right now it’s a new enough radio that set up guides are limited.
Once you get the hang of how it works OpenTX and derivatives are amazing, but the learning curve can feel very savage at times.

FDS

Elite member
I use the telemetry and voice alerts, I have low signal warning and battery on all my quads. I haven’t used it much on planes as most of my fleet is still on my cheap DSMX receivers. If I was setting up something bigger and fancier than usual I would add the voltage sensor.

bracesport

Legendary member
@FDS - Scrolling through the specs I see there is a mini USB trainer port (I was secretly hoping you could buddy up two T16's with Bluetooth)!

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
You can make any TX a wireless buddy box with a hack, I was reading one the other day. Not tried it myself tho, since I have nobody who needs it!

Arbitrary Pilot

Thanks, but that didn't work either. The only way to select DSMX is to select DSM2 and then select DSMX instead of LP45. I've tried both ways to no avail.

I think I'll just upgrade to the Spektrum IX12 and be done. Anyone near the Chicago burbs want to buy a Jumper T16?

I got it to work on one of those 4 channel micro receivers.

Internal: OFF
External: Multi > DSM > X 22ms

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor

Umm...As an ix12 owner, I would not recommend it unless you specifically need 12 channels. It is VERY slow to start up, as it has to launch Android OS first, and then it launches the Spektrum Airware app. It can take 5 minutes to start up from the time you press (and hold) the power button until the time it boots the model up.

I would recommend the DX9, or if you need more channels, the DX18. The ix12 is really not a great transmitter, not for the price.