Jumper TX8 v2 Cliff Notes and Mini Review

danskis

Master member
Firstly, the title is a little misleading (so far) because this is mostly about elevons so far. If this doesn't need a new thread let me know and I'll delete it. Just point me to the right one. Or any other resources out there on the web for this transmitter.
And right off I"ll say this may not be the right transmitter for me (but I really really don't like taking multiple transmitters to the field) as I prefer set it and forget systems.

So here are the questions:

Why is the red and green light on, on the front of the TX, at the same time?

How do you set up elevon mixing?

Why does it say the model isn't saved?

I have been able to bind it to an Orange receiver and setup D/R and Expo using Andrew's video here but he doesn't have one on mixing.

And there is Alan's video here on mixing. Easily found on YouTube. I don't like it because he does all the mixing in the Mixer which is confusing.

Here is another video - link below. This video on the Deviation Forum tells you (sort of) how to set up a basic template so your ailerons are reversed and working correctly. You can see this in the aileron mixer on Page 2. The mix from this video is in the below spreadsheet. Do this basic mix and then go into the buttons on the left side, Thr, Ail, Elev. and do your reversing there.

This is the only video on this forum page and its a ways down.
https://www.deviationtx.com/forum/search?query=elevon mixing&searchdate=all&childforums=1&catids=11

Last edited:

danskis

Master member
Setting up the Jumper T8 for elevons. The Mixer screen has the Channels on the numbered column on the left and the type of mix on the right (Simple, Complex, Expo). It is possible to reverse the servos in both areas. To reverse servos when in "Src" push the enter button. You'll notice the graph slope change. The below is the setup in Alan's video which is also what worked for me.

1582755278984.png

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
If this doesn't need a new thread let me know and I'll delete it. Just point me to the right one. Or any other resources out there on the web for this transmitter.
And right off I"ll say this may not be the right transmitter for me (but I really really don't like taking multiple transmitters to the field) as I prefer set it and forget systems.

So here are the questions:

Why is the red and green light on, on the front of the TX, at the same time?

How do you set up elevon mixing?

Why does it say the model isn't saved?

I have been able to bind it to an Orange receiver and setup D/R and Expo using Andrew's video here but he doesn't have one on mixing.

And there is Alan's video here on mixing. I guess it was just growing pains but the 5th time through this made sense. Between reversing the servos, mixing and switching wires on the receiver this seems pretty complicated.

Red light is power, green light is for transmitting. If you create a model for USB output or for output to the training port the green light will not illuminate.
It says (not saved) until you load another model, whereupon it is saved. That's just to warn you that if you powered your transmitter off the changes you have made to the current model will not be saved.
The page method to set up mixes is pretty difficult to wrap ones head around. Took me ages!!!

danskis

Master member
Thanks Caroline - any info helps! Hai Lee talked about using the FlySky to set up different rates on a plank wing like the Goblin to have a higher rate for aileron and a lower rate for elevator because planks rotate pretty easily around the pitch axis. It's easy on the FlySky….any idea how to do it on the Jumper T8?

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Sure. that's relativly easy, my FT Goblin has exactly that issue.
I'll do one channel, other other channel for the other wing will just have the elevator input reversed on Page 2

2 mixers
- Page 1
Mux <replace>
Src <ail>
Curve <EXPO 50> the Goblin is very sensitive to roll input
Scale - <75> The amount of deflection - 75%
Offset <0>
Trim you want to be able to trim!!!

- Page 2
Mux <add>
Src <ele>
Curve <EXPO 30> Less expo needed on the elevator
Scale <100> The amount of deflection - 100%
Offset <0>
Trim

Last edited:

danskis

Master member
This is just me ranting before I found the Deviation website. Well it took me one and a half to two hours to set up elevons on my versa wing after switching receivers. The Jumper has no graphical GUI for the servo reverse function which makes it difficult. I also have no idea what I did to actually get the right settings so its impossible to do again with the next plane. I'm not loving this transmitter tonight. Anyone have any input on this?

Last edited:

danskis

Master member
Sure. that's relativly easy, my FT Goblin has exactly that issue.
I'll do one channel, other other channel for the other wing will just have the elevator input reversed on Page 2

2 mixers
- Page 1
Mux <replace>
Src <ail>
Curve <EXPO 50> the Goblin is very sensitive to roll input
Scale - <75> The amount of deflection - 75%
Offset <0>
Trim you want to be able to trim!!!

- Page 2
Mux <add>
Src <ele>
Curve <EXPO 30> Less expo needed on the elevator
Scale <100> The amount of deflection - 100%
Offset <0>
Trim

Apologies Caroline...I'm not quite following this. So on the above, you're trying to reduce roll (ailerons) by reducing scale (rate or throw) and increasing expo. So the above is what you have in your aileron channel? Also, do you have you're elevons set-up like (basically) I have in the spreadsheet?

danskis

Master member
Well, then there is this. You can thank Gerry on the Deviation forum. I've gotta say I've tried both mixes (the one above and the one below) and I prefer this one. Its easier to keep track of in your head and easier to set up different rates for elevator and aileron on plank wings like the goblin.

https://www.deviationtx.com/forum/m...vons-mix-with-dual-rate-please?start=20#75970

Delta Wing programming for DeviationTx

A delta or flying wing is basically two wings joined together with two control surfaces and two servos. Each servo serves two functions, aileron and elevator for its wing.

To achieve this from the Transmitter we need to be able to mix 4 commands to two servos

Notes for using the Complex mixers
- changes to values are not reflected in the transmitter output until you have saved that page
- you MUST save each page before exit otherwise any changes will be lost
- Long Press ‘Ent’ key and hold until the beep to save setting in a mix page or use ‘Save’ option at the top

1 Left wing aileron
2 Left wing elevator
Note: These controls are actually provided by the same servo

3 Right wing aileron
4 Right wing elevator
Note: These controls are actually provided by the same servo

****** Start with a new model loaded and advanced GUI ******​

A very basic model ini without Dual Rates and will use the Aileron & Elevator channels in the mixer page.
Each channel will need a complex mix with 2 pages, one page in each channel mixer for Ailerons and one page in each channel mixer for elevators.

Please note that Deviation uses the same name labels for channels as other common transmitters. So in the mixer you see for example 1-AIL 2-ELE etc. This can be confusing because these labels don’t describe the channel correctly for a delta or flying wing. The channel labelled AIL is actually the CHANNEL for the RIGHT WING aileron/elevator control surface and the channel labelled ELE is actually the CHANNEL for the LEFT WING aileron/elevator control surface.

This model setup assumes the plane has standard type servos. If using linear type servos adjust Src directions in the mixer pages accordingly.

Let us start by getting the AILERONS working in the mixer.

AILERONS
AIL Channel (right wing channel)

mixer type = complex
Mixers = 2
Page 1
switch = none
Mux = replace
Src = AIL or !AIL (short press of the ENT button will toggle this setting normal or reverse)
Curve = 1 to 1 or Expo curve set to your preference (must match ELE (left wing) channel)
scale = 70
offset = 0
trim
SAVE

ELE Channel (left wing channel)

mixer type = complex
Mixers = 2
Page 1
switch = none
Mux = replace
Src = AIL or !AIL (short press of the ENT button will toggle this setting normal or reverse)
Curve = 1 to 1 or Expo curve set to your preference (must match AIL (right wing) channel)
scale = 70
offset = 0
trim
SAVE

This should have basic ailerons working on both wings, if the ailerons are reversed change the Src by quick press on the ENT button in both channel mixers. Note: the Src for page 1 in each channel should be the same (both normal or both reversed for standard type servos).

Set the scale in both channels up or down to adjust the control surface throw.

Next we need to add ELEVATORS to the mix
We will be working in page 2 of each channel mixer

ELEVATORS
AIL Channel (right wing channel)

Mixer type = complex
mixers = 2
Page 2
switch = none
Mux = add
Src = ELE or !ELE (short press of the ENT button will toggle this setting normal or reverse)
Curve = 1 to 1 or Expo curve set to your preference (must match ELE (left wing) channel)
Scale = 20
offset = 0
trim
SAVE

ELE Channel (left wing channel)

Mixer type = complex
mixers = 2
Page 2
switch = none
Mux = add
Src = !ELE or ELE (short press of the ENT button will toggle this setting normal or reverse)
Curve = 1 to 1 or Expo curve set to your preference (must match AIL (right wing) channel)
Scale = 20
offset = 0
trim
SAVE

We have now added elevator inputs to the mix. Change the Src by quick press of the enter button to set correct direction of elevators. Note: the Src for page 2 in each channel should be opposite (one should be normal and the other reverse for standard type servos).

Set the scale in both channels up or down to adjust the control surface throw.

Regarding scale setting, it is recommended to keep page 1 scale + page 2 scale equal to or less than 100 (in the above example 70+20=90)

You should now have a basic working delta/flying wing model.

The disadvantage to doing it this way is any change to scale of either aileron or elevator will need to be made in both wing channels to maintain symmetry and there is no way to make any changes during flight (other than using the trim switch).

For more advanced mixing go to the Deviation Forum.

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Apologies Caroline...I'm not quite following this. So on the above, you're trying to reduce roll (ailerons) by reducing scale (rate or throw) and increasing expo. So the above is what you have in your aileron channel? Also, do you have you're elevons set-up like (basically) I have in the spreadsheet?
What I wrote was the basic settings for elevons and it's the same as what you typed in from Gerry.

danskis

Master member
Well after living with this transmitter for a little while here's a review. First disclaimer is I'm pretty new to this and all I've used is a FlySky 6 channel and a Spektrum DX6i. I haven't seen OTX on FrSky or others such as the Jumper 12 channel, so I can't compare to that. Also, this review is limited to my experience setting up elevons. So the obvious difference between all of the above transmitters, and the one that lead me to the Jumper, is that the Jumper will work with just about any receiver out there. Whoohoo, I only need to remember one transmitter when going to the field. To me, this is a pretty big advantage. Plus the Jumper is easy to bind to most major brands of receivers. I haven't tried to bind any of the Bangood models yet. Also, it seems pretty well made, has all the switches and rheostats(?) you'll need and it's easy to program a motor safety switch. The navigation buttons are intuitive. So the box and the multi-protocol system work well. That is the upside of the Jumper. The downside is the Deviation software which is a lot more complicated than the other two transmitters I've used. It is not intuitive and will take you some time to get used. The web is not much help either as their is limited support on YouTube. You will need to become familiar with the Deviation forum, which will not necessarily have info on this transmitter. There you will be able to identify and bond with a lot of other people that are going through the same excruciatingly painful learning curve as you. Also, what may take you 2-4 clicks on the Spektrum or the FlySky might take you 6-12 clicks on the Jumper. More if you don't remember to "save". And while its hard to describe in words, there is not much differentiation between screens so its easy to get lost and have to retrace or check your steps. A good example is that all the mixer pages look the same and there are no visual cues to differentiate them. My next project is to figure out how to do dual rates and expo and assign them to a switch. Apparently the easiest way is to make a "virtual" channel on the transmitter, download and copy an .ini file from the web and then upload it to the transmitter and store it in the proper folder. Then you have to change some of the parameters. Hmmmm, I think I'd rather be building or flying or even walking the dog.

Well I just watched the elevon set up for the Taranis QX7. And wow, there is a wizard that walks you through it. WAAAY better than this Jumper.

Last edited:

danskis

Master member
Well this is my third versa wing. The esc smoked on the last one and the plane blew up and caught fire when it hit the ground. As usual this one flys great. I'm a little rusty so I'd like to put dual R/Expo on this plane. But this is what you have to do on the transmitter to do that. Yes, this is about the transmitter. All I have to do is this, a simple 8 page program:
Elevon with D/R

SW D1 ( Position ) Set your scale ( RATE )
SW D2 ( Position ) Set your scale ( RATE )

Aileron - Complex - 4 mixes
Page 1 - Switch = SW D1 - Mux = Replace Source = Ele - Curve = 1 to 1 - Scale ?
Page 2 - Switch = SW D1 - Mux = Add Source = !Ail - Curve = 1 to 1 - Scale ?
Page 3 - Switch = SW D2 - Mux = Replace Source = Ele - Curve = 1 to 1 - Scale ?
Page 4 - Switch = SW D2 - Mux = Add Source = !Ail - Curve = 1 to 1 - Scale ?

Elevator - Complex - 4 mixes
Page 1 - Switch = SW D1 - Mux = Replace Source = Ail - Curve = 1 to 1 - Scale ?
Page 2 - Switch = SW D1 - Mux = Add Source = Ele - Curve = 1 to 1 - Scale ?
Page 3 - Switch = SW D2 - Mux = Replace Source = Ail - Curve = 1 to 1 - Scale ?
Page 4 - Switch = SW D2 - Mux = Add Source = Ele - Curve = 1 to 1 - Scale ?

versa wing.jpg

danskis

Master member
Well after a day of flying yesterday and playing with expo rates I'm done with this TX . This thing is not worth it. After watching a few videos on you tube I'm buying a Taranis QX7 with a multi module.

danskis

Master member
Caroline - That is a valid question that needs follow up. Yes the transmitter works perfectly as advertised as far as I can tell. It binds well with lemon, orange and flysky recievers (and probably many others that I'll never use). The gimbals work flawlessly and I like the feel of the radio in my hands. The screen is adequate. The Deviation software is made for someone that likes to play with software. I no longer want to do that. The constant need to "save" your settings after adjusting D/R and Expo is a huge detractor for me. I've got to go back and double check everything after I make a change to a setting to ensure I've saved the change. Add to that the (current) lack of YouTube videos for the Deviation software makes this not worth messing with (for me). For a few dollars more (it appears) that the Taranis QX7 with the multi-module will also run every receiver out there and has extensive youtube support as well as "wizards" to help you set up basic plane, copter, quad models. So who is this for IMO? Someone that enjoys getting into the guts of the software, spending hours on the Deviation forum and hours on your transmitter plus wants to save some money. Unfortunately that's not me. I screwed up when I bought this and didn't do my homework. Hopefully this thread will help someone make a more informed decision than the one I did.

Others disagree with me, Andrew Newton and other youtubers give this transmitter a glowing review. Please post your opinions below (as every body has one).

danskis

Master member
(This is really just an FYI for someone in the same situation) OK more whining.....the transmitter that's supposed to connect with everything isn't going to. Someone gave me a plane with a Tactic receiver and I thought "great" I can use my Jumper and I won't have to put another receiver in it. Wrong....the Jumper doesn't have the Tactic protocol. Oh well...

danskis

Master member
Over the last week I lost connection with 2 planes using the Jumper. One became a lawn dart from 100' up. Both planes had DSM2/X receivers of unknown origin so it could be the Jumper or it could be the receivers. But it is officially retired and if anyone wants it they can have it. Rather than buy a transmitter for all the DSM2/X receivers I have I just bought 3 more FlySky receivers for $30

PowellMtnFlyer

@danskis How complex is it to replace dsm receivers with Flysky as you refer to in your post? I have Q7 and some quads but recently purchased RTF New Horizon plane and would like to use Q7 for that. I am considering Jumper T12 but would rather not put out the cash for new Tx.

danskis

Master member
@PowellMtnFlyer - sorry didn't see this sooner. Disclaimer is I'm not a radio geek with a lot of experience - just someone with a bad experience with the JumperT8. I'm sure you've already made a decision but....The Q7 is a Tarranis using openTX, right? They make a module for the Q7 that plugs into the back that will run any receiver you want (they claim). The jumper12 is also openTX (not Deviation software) but comes with the same module installed into the transmitter. I don't see this as an upgrade. It's very easy to choose the receiver in the software when your setting up the radio. FYI I've got a module - brand new - that I might want to sell.