Just a little something for all of you lovers of those flying abominations

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
I'm not sure why you are associating an ornithopter, with a multirotor (assuming "flying abomination" is still your pet name for multirotors LOL), but it is an impressive design... Until, of course these things are spying in our windows, or silently policing our neighborhoods! The involvement of "Darpa" in these endeavors always gets me a little paranoid...

earthsciteach

First, "flying abominations" is indeed my pet name for multi-rotors. They aren't aeronautically (word?) aesthetic. They aren't efficient. But mostly, they aren't within my realm of understanding. Therefore, I enjoy poking fun at them, much in the same way I like poking fun at bigfoot, unicorns, and the tax code.

Second, I associate them with multi-rotors because neither can fly without the assistance of some form of electronic brain (KK board or the like). Neither are pretty. Neither are aerodynamic in the classical sense.

I can accept helicopters. I can embrace autogyros. But, multi-rotors are just plain silly.

(By the way, everything I've ever said about multi-rotors is completely a joke - but don't tell Thurmond!)

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
First, "flying abominations" is indeed my pet name for multi-rotors. They aren't aeronautically (word?) aesthetic. They aren't efficient. But mostly, they aren't within my realm of understanding. Therefore, I enjoy poking fun at them, much in the same way I like poking fun at bigfoot, unicorns, and the tax code.

Second, I associate them with multi-rotors because neither can fly without the assistance of some form of electronic brain (KK board or the like). Neither are pretty. Neither are aerodynamic in the classical sense.

I can accept helicopters. I can embrace autogyros. But, multi-rotors are just plain silly.

(By the way, everything I've ever said about multi-rotors is completely a joke - but don't tell Thurmond!)

I heard that! ;)

I am working on a "Pretty multirotor" for you. If successful it should knock your socks off!

Also the first Tri-Copters used ONLY gyros with NO control boards at all. They worked VERY well.

Thurmond

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
Well Teach, he's on to you now!

I too have aspirations to create an aesthetically pleasing shell that could be attached to the frame of my SB V-Tail. However, with all the other ideas burning in my brain, who knows if this one will ever see the light of day...

On the subject of the "electronic brain", my favorite acro-quad is equipped with the i86L flight controller, which only uses rate gyros, much like a traditional heli tail, or a flybarless set-up. It does not have accelerometers, or any other devise that would supersede my inputs. Additionally, I always disable "Self Leveling" on all my multirotors if it is an option, simply because I like to be the one in control (CTRL Freq), not the machine.

With that said, I can see how this Hummingbird would be considered an "abomination", in respect to it's inability to fly, without extremely advanced stabilization software.

tramsgar

"Aaw, look at that cute bird flying into our corporate headquarters!" (DARPA TED talk host paraphrased.)

earthsciteach

Dang it! He's a crafty booger, that Thurmond!

Heli-Yeah - I really like your swept backed V tail. Was it difficult to work out the balance with the non-symmetrical design, or is the board able to control that?

Tritium

Dang it! He's a crafty booger, that Thurmond!

Heli-Yeah - I really like your swept backed V tail. Was it difficult to work out the balance with the non-symmetrical design, or is the board able to control that?

Nah Teach, The only reason you got caught is I had my reading glasses on or I would have completely missed the fine print. ;)

One of the KK2 preprogrammed models is a V tail Tri-Copter :confused: which is a misnomer of course because it has 4 motors .

Thurmond

earthsciteach

Yes, that is very cool. But, did anyone else's creeper meter peg during the video when it said, "You can use to to take stunning aerial videos, spy on people..." As the narrator said, "spy on people," the video cut to an overhead view of two little girls studying.
CREEPER ALERT!!!

Tritium

I think the intent was to keep a check on your kids activities but it was badly stated for sure! :rolleyes:

Thurmond

earthsciteach

Ha ha! Yes. It is definitely a fascinating device. Man, that would really freak people out if it came flying up to them. Ever had an RC aircraft destroyed by a fly swatter?

Tritium

Ha ha! Yes. It is definitely a fascinating device. Man, that would really freak people out if it came flying up to them. Ever had an RC aircraft destroyed by a fly swatter?

After dropping $500 on one I might have to cry about that. Notice that they will not be available till nearly 9 months to a year out.

Thurmond

Tritium

Last edited:

earthsciteach

I could do A LOT with that kind of start up money. A lot of drinking, a lot of traveling, a lot of sleeping... I'd be WAY more productive!

Tritium

I could do A LOT with that kind of start up money. A lot of drinking, a lot of traveling, a lot of sleeping... I'd be WAY more productive!

You would need it to build the new EST Hanger for all those planes you could now buy or build. :applause:

Thurmond