Just Another Noob

COclimber89

Hi guys,

Just entering the hobby. Went out on a whim and bought the Horizon Hobby Cub S kit and started flying. Already hate S.A.F.E. tech, this thing is so hard to fight even the slightest breeze. Anyone else experience this, especially with a very small, very lightweight all-foam plane?

Now working on building the FT Simple Cub and looking forward to seeing how a bigger and less computerized plane performs. I have my power pod and the wings built, just got a servo tester so I'll be getting those centered and then building the fuselage. Plan on painting the whole thing bright, glossy yellow and then applying the decals.

Already thinking about what I want to build next. What is a good plane to progress to that would use a B power pack?

Thanks guys!
Stephen

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hi guys,

Just entering the hobby. Went out on a whim and bought the Horizon Hobby Cub S kit and started flying. Already hate S.A.F.E. tech, this thing is so hard to fight even the slightest breeze. Anyone else experience this, especially with a very small, very lightweight all-foam plane?

Now working on building the FT Simple Cub and looking forward to seeing how a bigger and less computerized plane performs. I have my power pod and the wings built, just got a servo tester so I'll be getting those centered and then building the fuselage. Plan on painting the whole thing bright, glossy yellow and then applying the decals.

Already thinking about what I want to build next. What is a good plane to progress to that would use a B power pack?

Thanks guys!
Stephen
Welcome to the forums Stephan! I would recommend the p-40. A power pack C is recommended, but it will fly off the power pack b. The scout is a great option but it won’t work with your swappable power pod. The old speedster is also a fun plane that is very easy to fly - even easier than the cub! I would actually recommend flying te old speedster first and then no ring to the cub. @Marty72 had a sports cub with safe and stuff but it took him one scout to learn to fly a larger airplane. Good luck and have fun!

FDS

Elite member
All tiny planes are vulnerable to wind. The Sport Cub S is also a little tiny brushed motor it’s pretty under powered!

KSP_CPA

I agree with FDS on tiny planes and wind. Even a light breeze with a tiny plane can cause dips and climbs that require pilot correction. I know from first hand experience my Tiny Trainer needed very calm winds and I had many "premature encounters with terrain resulting in rapid unplanned disassembly of the air-frame due to a loss of control by the pilot in command" because of a 7-10 MPH gust.

Planes fly better as they scale up since the tolerances on center of gravity, control surface throws, and the like increases proportionally. That is not to say to get a giant scale airplane as planes also take more time to build and are expensive the larger they are.

P40, full-size Mustang, Explorer, simple cub, are great ones. I will probably get some flak, but I also think the Arrow is a great starter plane too, but I think the power pack A is a bit too weak for that one.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Welcome Stephan! We're glad you stopped here to say hey.

I'm all about the Tiny planes as I have a small car... but @FDS and @KSP_CPA are right, the best and easiest flyers are the larger planes. get you a B or C pack, build a trainer, explorer, or scout and Fly!

I love a wing too. Proper balance is critical with them, and error window is small. Harder to nail as a new hobbiest.

Arcfyre

Elite member
I wish someone would have told me three years ago to build a simple scout instead of a simple cub. Much easier to fly and more forgiving than the cub. Since I can't go back in time, I'll just make that recommendation to you. Best of luck whichever model you choose.

COclimber89

Thanks for all the responses guys! I already have the simple cub so that's what I'm building, but I'm going to take it really slow with flying it and do a bunch of takeoffs and landings before I get it up in the air to fly patterns.

Thinking I will go with a p40 or mustang after this, fly it a bit with the B pack, and later upgrade to the C (and then a 4s battery). I'll post an update when I have my cub finished and flying.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Welcome to the forums @COclimber89. Congrats on the graduation from the HH Cub S. It was my first plane too. I did the Scout thing for a bit, 2 Mini's and 2 standards, most of which worked out well. The Simple Cub is a good choice, if you do some research here on it there a few small modifications you can do to make it easier to fly. The stock build is kind of finicky for beginners. They are easy to do like wing incidence and raking the landing gear forward.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Welcome to the forums @COclimber89. Congrats on the graduation from the HH Cub S. It was my first plane too. I did the Scout thing for a bit, 2 Mini's and 2 standards, most of which worked out well. The Simple Cub is a good choice, if you do some research here on it there a few small modifications you can do to make it easier to fly. The stock build is kind of finicky for beginners. They are easy to do like wing incidence and raking the landing gear forward.
What fb planes came before the scouts? The tt was one of them, right?

Bricks

Master member
The Horizon Cub S will fly in more wind then people give it credit for but what needs to happen is use a1S 500mah battery the extra weight makes a huge difference. I still get mine out every once in a while and will fly up to 10MPH wind but only using the bigger battery.

The Cub S has probably started more people in this hobby then any other plane.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The Horizon Cub S will fly in more wind then people give it credit for but what needs to happen is use a1S 500mah battery the extra weight makes a huge difference. I still get mine out every once in a while and will fly up to 10MPH wind but only using the bigger battery.

The Cub S has probably started more people in this hobby then any other plane.
My cham has seen a ton of wind lol! I’ll go out in 10-15 mph wind and be full throttle flying backwards😂 Wings finally folded...

Bricks

Master member
My cham has seen a ton of wind lol! I’ll go out in 10-15 mph wind and be full throttle flying backwards😂 Wings finally folded...

It sucks when you cannot get back to where you started been there done that. One of our combat nights it was so windy we lost 2 Bloody Barons to the trees as they could not get back to the field, NOW that was wind 35 gusting to 45 we were dumb to do combat but everyone agreed it was to windy...…... but we all did it any way.. the rest did not land on the field only got close.

COclimber89

UPDATE:

She's flight-ready and her maiden was a semi-success! Definitely flew, did a few landings and with a bit more confidence I got her a bit higher up for some turns. Pretty stable!! But then I got fouled up by the whole, controls are backwards when it's flying towards you thing and I banked her over and snapped the prop. No major damage though.

Need to go back and redo the landing gear, I messed up making it and the wheels came down too far forward so the cowels don't line up with the fuselage. I'll cut out a new piece from scrap foam and try it again, then paint (yellow, duh) and decals!

Attachments

• IMG_20191102_164106505.jpg
    IMG_20191102_164106505.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20191102_175730565.jpg
    IMG_20191102_175730565.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
l
UPDATE:

She's flight-ready and her maiden was a semi-success! Definitely flew, did a few landings and with a bit more confidence I got her a bit higher up for some turns. Pretty stable!! But then I got fouled up by the whole, controls are backwards when it's flying towards you thing and I banked her over and snapped the prop. No major damage though.

Need to go back and redo the landing gear, I messed up making it and the wheels came down too far forward so the cowels don't line up with the fuselage. I'll cut out a new piece from scrap foam and try it again, then paint (yellow, duh) and decals!
Looks good man, congrats on the maiden.