Just bought an FT3D flyer Kit, What else do I need?

Doogle

Hi guys, So I wanted to get into 3D flying, so I bought a FT 3D kit to get started. The radio I am looking at is the DX6i to get started, with 4 HS-55 Hi tech servos. I am looking at the Omega 72g motor. What ESC and batteries should I buy to go with this? What props should I buy? I looking at the APC 10X5 is that a god choice ? And lastly what receiver should I buy? I have been scouring the internet for more information and I am struggling to find more info. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have bought a simulator to help get me back into things. Thank you in advance. Trinidad does not have many reliable hobby shops so I am at a loss for local information.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Looks like a good start. Your ESC will need to be at least 40A, but remember keeping it light is key for 3D. Battery will then be something in the 1800mAh 30C range. Your battery just needs to be able to provide 40A of current but be light as well. I'm not sure what you have available there or I'd be more specific. Just make sure you have decent cooling for the electronics. The NACA duct should help a lot.

Doogle

Thanks

Looks like a good start. Your ESC will need to be at least 40A, but remember keeping it light is key for 3D. Battery will then be something in the 1800mAh 30C range. Your battery just needs to be able to provide 40A of current but be light as well. I'm not sure what you have available there or I'd be more specific. Just make sure you have decent cooling for the electronics. The NACA duct should help a lot.

I can order Items from anywhere in the US, so what would you recommend? I thought weight would be my biggest issue and had no idea where to start , thanks for confirming that for me. What brand ESC would you recommend? Also what brand of battery? I am looking at this charger to start with because I also have a few electric model cars that I am fitting with Lipo's as well.

Thunder AC6 Smart LiPo Balance Charger/Discharger w/ AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo/ 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software - Is this a good charger? Or should I use something else?

I choose this because I saw quite a bit of info saying I should have a balancer for the Lipo packs.

Thanks again for the advice I really appreciate it.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Is this you first plane ever? The FT3D is not really a good beginner plane.
Yes, I kinda overlooked that. If it is your first plane, expect to be rebuilding a few times. We don't want to discourage you, but the same points that make this a good 3D plane also make it, if not a bad trainer, a less than ideal one. For one thing the controls are going to be very extreme. If you are using it as a trainer, make sure to reduce the throws and dial in some expo to make it more forgiving.
As far as ESC's go, I have had good results with Redbrick's, Turnigy's, Towerpro Mag 8's. Redbricks are probably what I would recommend for plug and play.
I haven't used that charger so I can't say for sure, but the specs look like they handle whatever you want to throw at it for the foreseeable future. Maybe someone else can chime in the has one.

Doogle

Thanks for the advice, I will be using it as a trainer of sorts, as it is my first 3D plane. So I will definitely tone down the trims so I can adjust. I will probably go with the redbricks. What about Lipo battery brands and power? You said 2200 mah 30C , what brand is best? Any more advice? Also I planned ahead and ordered to of the FT 3D so I have lots of spare parts. I knew I would probably crash a fair bit, but that is all in the fun I think. I really enjoy building these kits.

earthsciteach

Currently, my favorite LiPos are the Turnigy Nanotechs from Hobby King. A lot of people like the Genesis Power LiPos sold by Banana Hobby, as well.

Doogle

Ok so I have bought the Omega 72g Outrunner and a few 10X5 and 11X5.5 props, 4 H5-55 servos. The DX6I DSMX will be the next thing, followed by the Turnigy 2200Mah 30C batteries,with a Thunder AC6 charger.Please can someone give me a good 6 channel receiver to add to my build? I am really not sure what to get that will work with the DX6I DSMX.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I saw a sale online that you can get 2 free Rx's with a new dx6I...let me see if I can find a link.

Also, one tip that Josh has actually recommended is take the extra kit you bought and use it as a template on dollar tree foamboard to make your own kits so you have more planes if needed. that's what I do so I can teach my granddaughters to fly and not worry about the airframe...

Last edited: