Just got a new UMX Night Vapor! 😎😎😎

speedfix

Welllllll...

I guess cristmas came a little early :D. This is my first Vapor and all I can say is WOW. It flies so slow! I was flying it EVERYWHERE; my front yard, down the street and even inside! The fun eventually came to an end when I ran into the couch and the prop broke off :(. I glued the prop back on with some super glue and let it dry overnight, it seems good, but I will test it tonight. I also order a few replacement parts just do be safe. I got express shipping to get flying ASAP :). Photo's are attached below and I will upload a video later.

Attachments

• 69147259259__07379ACC-A334-48A5-AC81-C04A4B227CC6.jpg
    69147259259__07379ACC-A334-48A5-AC81-C04A4B227CC6.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1154.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Nice. I have one of those and a Vapor lite that I fly indoors. pretty decent flight time out of a tiny 1S battery! We have a gym for off season flying. Hoping to find a field house this winter too. I carry spare props and spindles. Make sure to get extras. I've had to glue the skin back on a time or two. Just a very light coating of FoamTac and time to dry, was back in the air with little effort. I may try to FPV the Night Vapor this winter.

speedfix

Yep thats exactly what I ordered, 2x Prop, 2x Gearbox w/o motor. I was also thinking about doing an fpv vapor because I had a blade inductrix fpv that broke, but the camera still works. I previosly have put it on a Mini-Z rc car and a Eachine mini P51, but it didn't work well on the P51 because the camera had a bad range. It might be perfect though for flying the Vapor in my front yard.

TooJung2Die

Master member
The Vapor was very popular when our club had an indoor flying site. It's what inspired me to build the "Arena Rat". The Rat isn't as aerobatic as a Vapor but its slow flight is comparable. When your Vapor gets damaged beyond repair you can use the electronics in another airplane you design and build.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I had a regular Vapor that I bought and got to fly twice before the skin started peeling off of the wings. Apparently, the glue wasn't too good on it, and the purchase left something of a bad taste in my mouth. They look like cool planes, and you can fly them almost anywhere (that has no breeze, that is!), but when they're as delicate as the fine crystal glasses my parents had that broke if you looked at them wrong, well..I don't want to drop another C-note for something that's going to be a short lived aircraft in my hangar.

speedfix

I had a regular Vapor that I bought and got to fly twice before the skin started peeling off of the wings. Apparently, the glue wasn't too good on it, and the purchase left something of a bad taste in my mouth. They look like cool planes, and you can fly them almost anywhere (that has no breeze, that is!), but when they're as delicate as the fine crystal glasses my parents had that broke if you looked at them wrong, well..I don't want to drop another C-note for something that's going to be a short lived aircraft in my hangar.
Yeah it is definitely a fragile bird. After it bites the dust I am going to repurpose the electronics elsewhere.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I still have, and still fly an original Vapor. Great indoor flyer. I sometimes add a small screw to the tail with a bread tie, to help it fly high alpha.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Other than the handful of prop shafts that I've broken on night vapor and vapor lite, everything else has gone back together with a light coat of Foam-Tac glue. The prop shafts tend to break off at the threads, especially if you don't get the prop screwed on all the way and nose dive into the ground.
1669911994452.png

IMG_20220917_164258330.jpg

speedfix

After gluing on prop, I tried to fly the Vapor but it did not have enough power to get off the ground. Could this be because the prop was wobbling and not glued on perfectly straight? What else could it be?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Plausible, could be prop shaft is too tight and doesn't spin freely, or there is glue where it should not be. Pictures of the prop glueing???

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Do yourself a favor and invest in a Vifly WhoopStor charger. It will allow you to charge 6 at a time and storage charge. It makes these 1s batteries last so much longer. You'll need to fab up a JST-PH to PH2.0 connector, but it should work.
I use one of these and run it off a 3s pack

https://www.readymaderc.com/products/details/strix-power-stix-1s-charging-board-up-to-6-at-once

Comes in handy flying whoops since they have rather short flight time compared to a vapor

joelspangler

You mentioned storage charging 1s. That's a problem that I've been trying to figure out for a long time (been looking since 2017). The only commercial solution dedicated for 1s is the vifly whoopstor, which getfpv has, and many others are starting to stock. Another solution would be to get some adapters to utilize your big rc charger, but you have to have a separate solution for differing numbers of batteries, and my charger at least gets grumpy when you have cells at different voltages (more than like .2v per cell), or if I'm working with different sizes of cells. I was so happy when I found the vifly whoopstor a few months ago - since it is managing each cell separately it just works. It doesn't have the tiny PH connector that your night vapor uses though, so you'd have to make an adapter (or multiple adapters if you want to do many batteries at once).