Just joined the forums here, should have done it long ago.

perhapsleiana

Elite member
I'm Colin, I've been designing airplanes for over a year. I've done mostly models of things that were never intended to fly, such as the Arwing from Star Fox, the Falcon Flyer from the Super Smash Bros games, the Blarg Starfighter from Ratchet and Clank (2001), and I'm currently working on the Origin 300i from Star Citizen.
I design planes in Blender, import the designs into RealFlight 9, and adjust things until the plane flies well, redo the design in Blender, export using the Paper Model add-on, and then format and arrange things in Inkscape. Fun times. I can probably dig up plans for any of these.

tl;dr I design planes using a heavily digital workflow.

Headbang

Master member
I'm Colin, I've been designing airplanes for over a year. I've done mostly models of things that were never intended to fly, such as the Arwing from Star Fox, the Falcon Flyer from the Super Smash Bros games, the Blarg Starfighter from Ratchet and Clank (2001), and I'm currently working on the Origin 300i from Star Citizen.
I design planes in Blender, import the designs into RealFlight 9, and adjust things until the plane flies well, redo the design in Blender, export using the Paper Model add-on, and then format and arrange things in Inkscape. Fun times. I can probably dig up plans for any of these.

Good to have you here! Always a joy to have another blender person around, we are rare in this segment!

perhapsleiana

Elite member
I guess I should do a photo dump of planes I've built and taken pictures of.
IMG_2425.JPG IMG_E2422.JPG IMG_1994.JPG IMG_1784.JPG View attachment IMG_1799.JPG IMG_1834.JPG IMG_1835.JPG IMG_1852.JPG IMG_1693.JPG IMG_1694.JPG IMG_1697.JPG IMG_1467.JPG IMG_1468.JPG

perhapsleiana

Elite member
Welcome to the forums. Looks like your planes get a lot of airtime, and some dirt time too. I like the Sportster the best
That Sportster is nicknamed "Stuart LITtle," and it "puts the ayyy in aviation" according to some of my friends. All because it has a 45A 4S power system and can do a 30mph vertical line like it's nothing.

Reminds me that I need to see if I can get my Eagle 5 built...Always wanted a flying Winnebago!
WHAT. That, my friend, is my style of build. you don't even need rockets for hyperjets on it to be cool.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
That Sportster is nicknamed "Stuart LITtle," and it "puts the ayyy in aviation" according to some of my friends. All because it has a 45A 4S power system and can do a 30mph vertical line like it's nothing.

WHAT. That, my friend, is my style of build. you don't even need rockets for hyperjets on it to be cool.

LOL Yup, I'm figuring on twin motors to get it airborne, and let it fly with diff thrust. I may have to tweak the design a bit (Ok, a LOT) to get it to fly, but who knows? Maybe it'll work? LOL

And if it doesn't, well...It will have been fun to try and build it. :)

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob

Welcome aboard. There are many of us that would love to learn your process. and Many would love to give your plans a go. (*raises Hand*)
Pictures if you please.