Kadet Junior Night Flyer

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Thanks for the advice. The paper is already off of this one, so I am going to keep moving forward as such. It was an experiment I wanted to try anyway. But I will keep it in mind for the next night flyer I build.
I was hoping that the graphics would create a dark area to aid with orientation. If I do need more, the wingtips will be open and I could add red and green lights there.
Removing the paper will also really help flight performance since it'll be so much lighter.

FlyingTyger

Elite member
I was able to rearrange my storage racks to make room for it.
But it will be sitting there until I wrap up the current build challenges I am involved with.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I was able to rearrange my storage racks to make room for it.
But it will be sitting there until I wrap up the current build challenges I am involved with.
Ok cool...
I'm going to be starting on mine... Scaled down to 1m WS.. flaps... Ailerons.. little less dihedral.
Power pack C
2200 3s...
Bush wheels and a float set
Should be crazy fun

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Little more done tonight during the ARCN build party. Tail is done and on. Since there is no paper on the foam, I stiffened them up with some basswood spars.
20220219_000100.jpg

I also test fit the motor and spinner. Overall I am happy with how it looks.
20220218_235538.jpg

20220218_235501.jpg

There is still some final sanding needed then I can give it a couple coats of Polycrylic and some trim graphics. Then we can hinge everything and mount the servos. I can see the end of the tunnel now.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Little more done tonight during the ARCN build party. Tail is done and on. Since there is no paper on the foam, I stiffened them up with some basswood spars.
View attachment 219426

I also test fit the motor and spinner. Overall I am happy with how it looks.
View attachment 219427
View attachment 219428

There is still some final sanding needed then I can give it a couple coats of Polycrylic and some trim graphics. Then we can hinge everything and mount the servos. I can see the end of the tunnel now.
She's looking amazing all right..

Excellent job... Nice chatting too

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Finally getting back to work on this one. All the parts have finally been finished sanded and given at least 2 coats of WBPU.
20220705_114808.jpg

All the surfaces were hinged using DuBro (Blenderm) hinge tape.
20220705_210134.jpg

For the aileron servis, I thought I would try something new. I do not like the look of servos hanging out of the airframe. So I cut small panels that the servos have been glued to. Then I lined the ends of the openings with a small strip of foam to catch the servo panel.
20220705_205049.jpg

The servos were centered and the arms screwed on. They are offset slightly forward to give me a little bit of aileron differential.
20220705_213632.jpg

Finally the wires were chased through the wing and the panels were glued in place using clear (non-foaming) gorilla glue. A little bit of extra work, but a far cleaner look.
20220705_214038.jpg

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Finally getting back to work on this one. All the parts have finally been finished sanded and given at least 2 coats of WBPU.
View attachment 228096

All the surfaces were hinged using DuBro (Blenderm) hinge tape.
View attachment 228097

For the aileron servis, I thought I would try something new. I do not like the look of servos hanging out of the airframe. So I cut small panels that the servos have been glued to. Then I lined the ends of the openings with a small strip of foam to catch the servo panel.
View attachment 228099

The servos were centered and the arms screwed on. They are offset slightly forward to give me a little bit of aileron differential.
View attachment 228100

Finally the wires were chased through the wing and the panels were glued in place using clear (non-foaming) gorilla glue. A little bit of extra work, but a far cleaner look.
View attachment 228098
Wow this is looking to be a very very clean bud 👏👏.
Very cool Tony!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
You mentioned it tonight fire, what's your night flying setup going to look like? You plans for orientation.

FlyingTyger

Elite member
You mentioned it tonight fire, what's your night flying setup going to look like? You plans for orientation.
I have white LED's throughout to make the airframe "glow". Similar to the E-Flite Brave and Timber.
No colors for orientation, I am hoping the vinyl graphics will block the light and be able to be used for orientation. If needed, the wingtips are open, so I can get in through there and add some red and green LED's.

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Went to wire up the ESC and get the motor install finalized, and found that my motor had a broken wire internally 🤬. So I "borrowed" a motor from another plane that could use an upgrade. I had to rework the mounting to get everything aligned properly, but we are good to go now.

20220710_141809.jpg

FlyingTyger

Elite member
20220710_230509.jpg

20220710_230536.jpg

Everything is wired up. All controls are centered and moving to correct directions. I needed just over an ounce of weight in the tail to balance. It is technically flyable now, but have some cosmetic details to finish yet.

Oh yeah, and the lights work 😃
20220710_230830.jpg

20220710_230844.jpg

FlyingTyger

Elite member
BUILD SUMMARY

This build was based on plans by @Matthewdupreez. I made some modifications and used the original Sig plans as I built to create the "Kadet" I wanted. Construction is all dollar tree foam board with the paper removed. Finish is Semi-Gloss Polycrylic with vinyl graphics.

Final specs
Wingspan: 42" (plan reduced from 48")
RTF weight: 25 oz.

Components
SunnySky 2212-980kv outrunner
Hobbyking 20A ESC
Master Airscrew 9x6 prop
9 gram servos (4)
Spektrum Ar6100E receiver

Mods I made include:
- Adding ailerons using the mod shown on the Sig Kadet "Mk. I" plan
- Reshaped the cheeks to blend better with spinner.
- Added a windshield and it's fairing into the wing
- Bolt on wing
- Magnetic battery hatch forward of windshield
- Permanent firewall in lieu of a power pod
- added landing gear
- "smooth" airfoil in place of the typical folded wing construction
- stiffened the tail feathers with basswood spars
- added LED's for night flying