Kapper Residence - Flite Test Flying Site

tramsgar

Oh, man I agree...
I just tried (like in: how hard can it be?(Should have taken your word for it...):))

Well, they made it hard to deal with ....

If it does NOT crash, and you try for medium resolution you get a black screen, might as well have it crash ..

If it DOES crash, well it crashes, so you loose al you've done ...

As a SW developer myself, this also makes me itch ...., it does nothing you'd like to achieve, more enough, it behaves differently every time I launch it.

I had a basic scenery completed, want to save it, it just HANGS on the save dialogue .... lost everything AGAIN ...

Grrrrrrr...

You have Phoenix now, or did you just download the Creator?

Yes, not good for mental health or blood pressure, and as you say I did warn you =). What bothers me the most is that other people have succeeded, so why can't I? I've worked with buggy SW for over three decades (try completing a thesis in Word 97!) on all kinds of platforms but this is one of a very few cases I had to give up. Hoping for updated tools for the next (?) version of Phoenix.

tramsgar

OK,I officially give up. I get the field in Phoenix RC alright (tried everything, placing the lighting, giving each type of model a starting position etc,..). I just get the field, no model whatever I try.
I give up.

I anyone wants to try: Its quite easy from the start: start the Phoenix RC modeler, choose New scenery, select the 6 front/back/left right etc images from the zip until your get it right, then try adding positions, then fail ... unless You succeed.

Good luck! :)

The easy part is loading the sky box, but any collision geometry apart from ground... nope.

Johan

You have Phoenix now, or did you just download the Creator?

Yes, not good for mental health or blood pressure, and as you say I did warn you =). What bothers me the most is that other people have succeeded, so why can't I? I've worked with buggy SW for over three decades (try completing a thesis in Word 97!) on all kinds of platforms but this is one of a very few cases I had to give up. Hoping for updated tools for the next (?) version of Phoenix.

Yes you did warn me :)

And yes I've purchased PhoenixRC in the meantime.

I too hope PhoenixCreator gets updated, but I had some success with THE most important obstacle: grond plane.
The rest I gave up (mainly house and tower), for some reason they were all over the field at some time, not in the place I thought I'd put them. The interface is a bit like "mystery meets navigation".

I'll put up the scenery result I got for those interested ...
Hmm, the zip is 53 MB, I'll have to search for storage space, hang on ...

Lets try DropBox, never used it for this purpose before, but who knows:

try this link

Last edited:

Johan

PS: offtopic, tomorrow I'll be attending "Drone day" here in the Netherlands, Yeah!!

tramsgar

I too hope PhoenixCreator gets updated, but I had some success with THE most important obstacle: grond plane.
The rest I gave up (mainly house and tower), for some reason they were all over the field at some time, not in the place I thought I'd put them. The interface is a bit like "mystery meets navigation".

So we only got that far both, then I feel a little less bad about it... But still sad it couldn't be done. From a SW perspective, if it was me, I'd add support for an existing 3d design tool and focus on the code for importing from that instead...

Johan

Yep, it is not you :) or me...

So true, build in .obj or .stl support
I had hopes when I saw import from external editor, but that only supported .BMP files :eek:

tramsgar

So, with the new Phoenix 5 out and the accompanying PhoenixBuilder I've restarted this effort. Preliminary tests show it's more hard than impossible now so hopefully I'll get you all some results. Apparently sites can also be easily distributed now - looking forward to that (and some bug fixes once they've patched the out-of-this-world physics =).

PreyTheWeak

Does anyone have a prebuilt Flite Test flying site prebuilt for Phoenix V5. I just got the Sim and very new to this whole RC flying thing. I would love to practice my flying there on the sim. Any help would be great.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Does anyone have a prebuilt Flite Test flying site prebuilt for Phoenix V5. I just got the Sim and very new to this whole RC flying thing. I would love to practice my flying there on the sim. Any help would be great.

Sadly I don't think anyone made any FT planes, or flying fields, for Phoenix. Which is sad because now anyone can make add ons for Phoenix. ... Maybe I'll re-consider actually buying Phoenix and seeing if I can start making Flite Test stuff for it. I made a bunch of FT planes for RC Desk Pilot.

tramsgar

Well I did give it a new shot with version 5, and a lot of the horrible bugs are gone, and some of the UI madness, but it is still IMHO a useless tool. I've used computers for 34 years, designed software as a profession for 15 years and inbetween used a lot of software for advanced content creation, including 3D, and I still cannot work that crap =/. Setting up the box is no prob, it's the collision geometry creation that melts ze Brain. Maybe because I cannot give it a full weeks work or so? Or too old? Sorry.

K9NSP

RealFlight PhotoField

I have created a simple PhotoField of the Flite Test Flying Site / Kapper Residence for RealFlight 7.5 and uploaded it to the swap pages. You'll find it here:

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=21990

It's nothing more than a simple import of the Panorama provided by Flite Test. If sufficient interest is shown, I'll update with collision objects and do some Photoshopping to clean up the seam, etc. Enjoy!

Please vote/comment on the swap file download page if you have any interest in seeing this field improved.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
I created a simple flying site for Phoenix RC 5.5 from the Kapper Residence photos in this thread. Collisions with Chad's house and his playground set are possible. Sun is where it appears to be creating a nice effect.

See FliteTest in Phoenix RC (Model Index) for download link and instructions.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
that is wicked cool! now only if it wasnt in a 200 dollar program... lol.
so what type of code does this game use? is it easy to learn and use? i wish i could do something like that. i would do it for the free picasim though. that would be wicked cool, to fly around there in picasim.