KFm-1 Mighty Mini DR1

TooJung2Die

Master member
I've built, flown and worn out a few FT Mini DR1's. The DR1is easy to build and fun to fly. With 56 inches of wing and a short coupled tail it makes you want to bang the sticks around to see what it'll do next. After another harder than intended landing (crash) I decided to build another DR1 instead of fixing it again. This one is different. It has a KFm-1 airfoil instead of the undercamber. Why KFm-1? Because I haven't built and flown an airplane with a KFm-1 wing yet. Lots of KFm-2 but no KFM-1. I'm hoping the KFm will make a good airplane even better.

Changing the shape of the airfoil is easy. Eliminate the undercamber crease. Add a 2.25" step on the underside. I had to change the wing saddles, wing struts and cabane struts to fit the KFm-1 profile. Assembling with the KFm wing is actually easier than the undercamber. Everything is flat, no angles.

Here are some build photos and the ready to maiden beauty shots.

IMG_2826.JPG IMG_2827.JPG IMG_2828.JPG IMG_2834.JPG IMG_2835.JPG

Jon

Last edited:

TooJung2Die

Master member
The maiden flight went well. It feels a little different with the KFm1 wings but not a whole lot. The only little downside is it doesn't fly as slow with the KFm. The undercamber airfoil has more lift at slow speed. You need to keep the airspeed up when coming in for a landing if you hope to flare. It felt a touch tail heavy so the 30A ESC has been repositioned up behind the motor. The motor has been given a bit more down and right thrust angle. Can't wait to fly it.

Since the Mini DR1 is a cartoon representation of the airplane, a cartoon pilot and oversize machine gun seemed appropriate.

IMG_2860a.jpg

Jon