Kickstarter campaign to fund my portable & smart landing pad for micro/nano/mini quad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burly

Only $150!!!!!
That's awesome!!!!!
It could be a stocking stuffer for Christmas 2017.

A lot of Kickstarters consist of Photoshopped vaporware...but you actually have a working prototype...

I'm still a little fuzzy on the concept...
I guess I need to watch the video again (having trouble with the play button).

Last edited:

defhermit

You should provide more info on what your device does.

Calling it a "landing pad" makes me think it is just that, something I put down on the ground for my quad to land/take-off to/from.

Looking at the picture (and in reading your description), it seems more like a game that I can play if I have a drone.

Just guessing from the image, the idea is that you hit a button on the device and it starts a timer? And then you try to land on it and the landing will cause the timer to stop automatically? So you have a record of how long it took to land?

If I am correct in my guess at what this device does, you should describe that on the kickstarter.

I have other questions but I'd like to hear about what this device is supposed to do before I continue questioning.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Also, with a linear curve between amount "backed" and number of units obtained you really aren't giving anyone any incentive to "buy" more than one. Couple that with the fact that nobody has any idea what you product actually does (other than proving the law of gravity), and you will have a hard time drumming up business.

Another thought for you, would be to offer other levels of "backing". T-shirts, handwritten thankyou cards, Pictures of your next door neighbor's Golden Retriever... anything. People like getting stuff for their "donations". I know, I know, it's counterintuitive... but factual. It would be a lot easier for someone who wants to help, but doesn't have the means to drop 100 quid on your idea. 200 $5 donations equals a lot more than zero at $150.

Just a thought.

*EDIT

Ok, so I just watched the video in the hidden Youtube link. I had to look pretty hard for it, so if you want folks to watch it I would mak the link more easily accessible.

If I understand this correctly, it's a unit that will tell you when you've landed using copyrighted audio from previous space missions? Also, in your demo it shows you puching down on the "landing pad" with quite a bit of force to activate the audio. Was this an overdubbed demonstration, or will it really take that much to activate? These craft weigh about as much as a nickel, so unless you can get the micro quad to slam into it at terminal velocity there might be a problem.

Do you have an idea of where and by whom this device will be produced? Do you have a way of securing permission to use the audio highlighted in your demo vid? (assuming that's what you will be going with) Do you have any experience with business, marketing or product design?

I'm not trying to discourage you. Quite the contrary. I just want to make sure you are looking at all the variables involved in getting this dream realized, and I've outlined only a very small handful. Nothing stops production of an idea faster than a costly surprise. Do your homework, and don't allow yourself to be surprised.

Last edited:

DharanFlyer

I am with defermit. I really have no idea what this is suppose to do. For $155 USD, which is more than the price of the quad in most cases, I would expect a lot from it. Just a landing pad with missions doesn't really tell me a whole bunch.

P.S. No offence intended. Just adding some constructive criticism.

RC Lover

Thanks for your comment.

This game/Smart Landing Pad has been created to give to the beginners a goal, instead of spinning around the room the quad.
The game begins when the timer (set for a duration of 6 min flight) starts the countdown.
The game has a beginner level which consists in landing the micro/mini/quadcopter as quickly as possible.
(The fastest player who lands successfully on the pad, will be the winner).
When the quad lands on the platform, a recorded voice will say: "Congratulations Lieutenant, mission accomplished!"
The 7 segment digit display will turn to 1.
When the player will be more confident in landing repeatedly the quadcopter, the digital counter connected to the weight sensor will record how many times the player has successfully landed the quad rotor (within 6 minutes).
Therefore a recorded voice will say: "Congratulations..." mentioning the rank reached, according to the number of landing

1st Landing, rank Lieutenant
2nd Landing, rank Major
3rd Landing, rank Captain

I hope everything is clear now.

You should provide more info on what your device does.

Calling it a "landing pad" makes me think it is just that, something I put down on the ground for my quad to land/take-off to/from.

Looking at the picture (and in reading your description), it seems more like a game that I can play if I have a drone.

Just guessing from the image, the idea is that you hit a button on the device and it starts a timer? And then you try to land on it and the landing will cause the timer to stop automatically? So you have a record of how long it took to land?

If I am correct in my guess at what this device does, you should describe that on the kickstarter.

I have other questions but I'd like to hear about what this device is supposed to do before I continue questioning.

defhermit

1. You should include this information on the KS site.
2. You should rename the device so that it is clear it is a game solely from the name itself. This is not just a landing pad. This is a little moon that you can use to train yourself to land with precision! Don't bother mentioning that it is portable. It goes without saying.
3. You should have a video of the game being played.
4. The timer should be integrated into the internal electronics of the device like your pressure-sensitive trigger and "counter" display are.
5. You should itemize the costs your are predicting. As of now it just looks like you grabbed a random number from the air. Why do you need 20,000 pounds? Include specific estimates from prototyping/manufacturing/design companies.
6. I assume those little metal disks taped to the landing area are weights that are required to be calibrated for different quads, so that the weight of the quad triggers the connection. If I am correct, these should be moved to a less visible location OR that type of calibration should be handled electronically via a button-press-initiated "setup" phase. (press calibrate button, place quad on landing strip, device sets that weight up as the "triggerable" required weight.

DharanFlyer

Stradawhovious -

I agree. Link is very hidden.

Are you sure NASA has any copy write to the material? Though it was all public domain. Just my impression of the little I know of NASA. Side note: I personally don't see the link between space landings and quads.

Final part of demo shows sound going off on a landing with the micro quad.

defhermit

It is true that by default all NASA footage is not covered by any copyright. HOWEVER, a lot of that footage was included in collections/presentations/etc afterward and those representations COULD be included under some copyright. In addition, you almost certainly could NOT mention anything about NASA in the product description. You would need permission and they just don't do that.

DharanFlyer

To add to defhermit's idea of the "push to calibrate" option, you could then include a few pad enlargement items for beginner, advanced, expert (what you have now) pads.

Gives very new people a fighting chance.

And to go back to a previous point on my side: value proposition. The Estes Syncro Nano Quadcopter from Kohl's is a $50 quad. If I bought that and next to it I had to pay $155 for the item to learn on I'd either skip the landing pad or skip both all together. Why is your cost so high?

RC Lover

Thanks for your post.
Although in the recent past I've licensed and put on the market other products (not in the RC toys industry), it's my first time on Kickstarter.
I believe this product could be helpful for the beginners who can learn how to fly the mini/micro/quadcopter having a "mission" to accomplish.

I'm sorry but I haven't figured out yet what reward I can eventually offer to my backers.
As a solo inventor, I was focused on the making of the prototype (that, by the way, I've designed, built from scratch, fitting all the electronics assembled without using any Arduino/Texas Instrument board, to keep low the cost of manufacture).

On my Youtube video I remarked in the description that I've used the sounds of the "previous Space missions", just to show how the prototype works.
In the final prototype I will use different sounds voices (mine is terrible).
I've just uploaded another example to give a better idea how the game works.
https://youtu.be/bLoGShTUKNI

I had to overdub the video (just the part that involves the quad), because I shot it using my Ipad and it was placed 3 meters away from the play set (in order to show the flight of the quad).
While you can listen clearly the sound when you play with the play set, in the video I was barely able to listen the recorded voice.

https://youtu.be/30GnNqWyHaM

As you can see in the video above, I've been able to design a touch sensor that works with the weight of the micro/mini/nano quad.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm a solo inventor but (so far), I've been able to patent, licensed and put on the market other products.
I'm pretty confident I can do this job again, also because I believe that this product could be entertaining and helpful to learn the basics of flying a quadcopter.
There are millions of quadrotors out there with no aim/goal to pursue, this is the reason why people stop to use them (especially children and teenagers 9/14).

Also, with a linear curve between amount "backed" and number of units obtained you really aren't giving anyone any incentive to "buy" more than one. Couple that with the fact that nobody has any idea what you product actually does (other than proving the law of gravity), and you will have a hard time drumming up business.

Another thought for you, would be to offer other levels of "backing". T-shirts, handwritten thankyou cards, Pictures of your next door neighbor's Golden Retriever... anything. People like getting stuff for their "donations". I know, I know, it's counterintuitive... but factual. It would be a lot easier for someone who wants to help, but doesn't have the means to drop 100 quid on your idea. 200 $5 donations equals a lot more than zero at $150.

Just a thought.

*EDIT

Ok, so I just watched the video in the hidden Youtube link. I had to look pretty hard for it, so if you want folks to watch it I would mak the link more easily accessible.

If I understand this correctly, it's a unit that will tell you when you've landed using copyrighted audio from previous space missions? Also, in your demo it shows you puching down on the "landing pad" with quite a bit of force to activate the audio. Was this an overdubbed demonstration, or will it really take that much to activate? These craft weigh about as much as a nickel, so unless you can get the micro quad to slam into it at terminal velocity there might be a problem.

Do you have an idea of where and by whom this device will be produced? Do you have a way of securing permission to use the audio highlighted in your demo vid? (assuming that's what you will be going with) Do you have any experience with business, marketing or product design?

I'm not trying to discourage you. Quite the contrary. I just want to make sure you are looking at all the variables involved in getting this dream realized, and I've outlined only a very small handful. Nothing stops production of an idea faster than a costly surprise. Do your homework, and don't allow yourself to be surprised.

Last edited:

ZoomNBoom

image.jpg

RC Lover

Maybe if you look better the shape of the play sets you'll figure it out.
This is a products/game/play set/landing pad for beginners (children/teenagers).
Generally speaking Outer Space is a topic quite interesting to them.

Burly

Guys.
He's tweaking everyone...showing how low the bar has fallen to get something on Kickstarter.

His pitch is all of 417 characters...69 words...it's not even a decent tweet...
A new portable game for your Micro/Nano/Mini quadcopter. The yellow drone shown in the picture above is for illustration purposes only.
A portable play set for micro/nano heli/quad copters.
The prototype I made has been inspired by the Apollo Missions to the Moon. Pack your favorite mini heli/quad copter and finally have fun with it! No more landing on dull landing pads, without having a real mission to accomplish

His Bio (His picture is with his face hidden behind a radio):
G.
London, UK
I studies Electrical Engineering and a lot of other things.
I'm a guy driven by his passions

I "studies"...lol....

Lastly, he has no intro video directly posted on Kickstarter...
He does have a video on one of his Website links.

How did this one get past the gatekeeper's at Kickstarter?
This is priceless........

RC Lover

I'll upload another video.
As I remarked in the description of the current one, I used that "sounds/voices" just to show how the prototype works.
I've uploaded another video which has different sounds, according to the game to play.

Please read the description...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLoGShTUKNI

I hope everything is clear now.

Stradawhovious -

I agree. Link is very hidden.

Are you sure NASA has any copy write to the material? Though it was all public domain. Just my impression of the little I know of NASA. Side note: I personally don't see the link between space landings and quads.

Final part of demo shows sound going off on a landing with the micro quad.

RC Lover

Maybe the idea is good and I also made a fully working prototype...

Guys.
He's tweaking everyone...showing how low the bar has fallen to get something on Kickstarter.

His pitch is all of 417 characters...69 words...it's not even a decent tweet...
A new portable game for your Micro/Nano/Mini quadcopter. The yellow drone shown in the picture above is for illustration purposes only.
A portable play set for micro/nano heli/quad copters.
The prototype I made has been inspired by the Apollo Missions to the Moon. Pack your favorite mini heli/quad copter and finally have fun with it! No more landing on dull landing pads, without having a real mission to accomplish

His Bio (His picture is with his face hidden behind a radio):
G.
London, UK
I studies Electrical Engineering and a lot of other things.
I'm a guy driven by his passions

I "studies"...lol....

Lastly, he has no intro video directly posted on Kickstarter...
He does have a video on one of his Website links.

How did this one get past the gatekeeper's at Kickstarter?
This is priceless........

defhermit

I got the impression that you are not a native speaker of the English language from your writing. No offense intended, but you could use some help in that area.

What other inventions have you brought to market?

Burly

Ok...maybe I jumped to fast...
From your YouTube videos...you obviously have something that works.

You should try to flesh out the Kickstarter offer page with the videos showing yourself in person, details of the product, specific spelling out of the rewards...and your bio.

Maybe even hint at the inner workings...arduino geeks want to know what's inside.

So attach your personal offer video along with the prototype in action videos directly in the Kickstarter page.

Look at other Kickstarter offers and see how they are presented.

You have this explanation on one of your YouTube Videos.
Why not put it on the Kickstarter Page.

Patent pending prototype of my Magnetic & Electronic Smart Landing Pad. This version gives a better idea how the game is going to be structured.
1st Landing, rank Lieutenant
2nd Landing, rank Major
3rd Landing, rank Captain

This game has been created to give to the beginners a goal, instead of spinning around the room the quad.
The game begins when the timer (set for a duration of 6 min flight) starts the countdown.
The game has a beginner level which consists in landing the micro/mini/quadcopter as quickly as possible.
(The fastest player who lands successfully on the pad, will be the winner).
When the quad lands on the platform, a recorded voice will say: "Congratulations Lieutenant, mission accomplished!"
The 7 segment digit will turn to 1.
When the player will be more confident in landing repeatedly the quadcopter, the digital counter connected to the weight sensor will record how many times the player has successfully landed the quad rotor (within 6 minutes).
Therefore a recorded voice will say: "Congratulations..." mentioning the rank reached, according to the number of landing

One thing to consider is the educational possibilities something like this could provide. I don't know what kind of Microcontroller you are using, but it is obviously something powerful enough to playback speech.

You could include a guide on how each component works and open source the code. A lot of arduino projects are a standalone board with standalone components...leds, segment displays, momentary switches, a pressure sensor....etc.
Other than for the educational purpose...they don't conclude with a satisfying end result.

Here your end result is the game...with all the educational opportunities added in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.