kinetic launch system to put rockets into space runs first test

Piotrsko

Master member
The railgun track is still there at Edwards east of the rocket site. You can see it on GOOGLE earth. There's a reason they stopped using it that had nothing to do with it working: something about being a PITA to use.

Marzipan

The railgun track is still there at Edwards east of the rocket site. You can see it on GOOGLE earth. There's a reason they stopped using it that had nothing to do with it working: something about being a PITA to use.

well, this isn't a railgun...it spins until the velocity is so high it'll carry into space when released...or at least into leo. being a mechanical device and operating at those levels, the tolerances will have to be so tight I see it breaking down more often not, LoL!

dap35

Elite member
Interesting. 10,000G is a pretty significant load to design for, so definetly a limited set of payloads.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Not so emissions free as they say... This has to be powered by electric generation somehow. It gives the illusion of emissions free but in fact is not and probably does more damage taxing the already strained electric grid unless they are generating their own power. Its like that whole EV thing and being good for the environment. Its good for big oil, big electric, big auto... not so much for the environment or the consumer whos electric bills will steadily increase to finance the grids upgrade and maintenance while keeping corporate profits high.

Wont even get into the aftermath of a launch failure inside that structure with an object that size spinning at 10,000g's

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
Interesting. 10,000G is a pretty significant load to design for, so definetly a limited set of payloads.
1 ounce would weigh in at 625 pounds lol, I think there’s better ways to get something into orbit lol

Last edited:

Marzipan

well...if they were to build 8 of these...one for each quarter portion of each hemisphere...I rue the day any aliens try to invade!

SSgt Duramax

Not so emissions free as they say... This has to be powered by electric generation somehow. It gives the illusion of emissions free but in fact is not and probably does more damage taxing the already strained electric grid unless they are generating their own power. Its like that whole EV thing and being good for the environment. Its good for big oil, big electric, big auto... not so much for the environment or the consumer whos electric bills will steadily increase to finance the grids upgrade and maintenance while keeping corporate profits high.

Wont even get into the aftermath of a launch failure inside that structure with an object that size spinning at 10,000g's
Dont get me started. Environmental science is one of the degrees I have. Lets just say most of the Eco Friendly stuff isnt so.

Not to be a luddite, i dont really see this coming to fruition. I would like to see a carbon nanotube space elevator though.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Dont get me started. Environmental science is one of the degrees I have. Lets just say most of the Eco Friendly stuff isnt so.

Not to be a luddite, i dont really see this coming to fruition. I would like to see a carbon nanotube space elevator though.

I cant wait for the Aliens to come and either save us, enslave us, or eat us. Humanity is now sprinting to its own demise and without outside intervention its gonna annihilate itself. In any case its gonna be interesting to see..

Quick FYI: The recent uptick in Alien activity is because they have found Vegans taste better then random cows and have named them the new "Free Range Chicken" of the universe. Stay greasy stay safe!

I cant wait for the Aliens to come and either save us, enslave us, or eat us. Humanity is now sprinting to its own demise and without outside intervention its gonna annihilate itself. In any case its gonna be interesting to see..

Quick FYI: The recent uptick in Alien activity is because they have found Vegans taste better then random cows and have named them the new "Free Range Chicken" of the universe. Stay greasy stay safe!
The environment, the planet and humanity are all rolling along just fine. Change is gonna happen. It always has.

But your vegan point... I'm gonna steal that.

Piotrsko

Master member
Hmmm lez see, orbital velocity is around 25,000 mph, things decell in atmosphere or get really hot fast because of surface friction then there's the gravity deceleration issue... so maybe 30,000 mph at the muzzle. Going to reinvent areodynamics because thats Mach 50. One of the many reasons the railgun didn't work well.

Having these things spaced around the world is kinda like the Maginot line of France pre Ww2 ((hint: the invading forces just went through undefended territory)

Ever notice that rockets don't hit the speed of sound until like 10 miles up?

Project bluebook long time ago concluded that in the event of alien arrival, the world and their military will probably be defenseless against aliens.

Actual knowledge is a wonderful thing

Last edited:

boogieloo

How far are they into this project? 5,000 mph and being whipped into orbit. That's a great idea. But have they ever made successful strides in their attempt? Since 2015. I think this still won't break gravity when it reaches 2 miles or so above ground. That is about 17,391 mph to break gravity at that altitude. 28,000 km/hour.

Last edited:
East of the rocket site at Edwards, the railgun track is still present. It is visible on Google Earth. There's a reason they stopped using it that had nothing to do with it working: something about being a PITA to use.

Piotrsko

Master member
Even odder is that they kinda maintain it, or were, when I was working at the rocket stand next hill over. People I know said it had smoothness issues at speed

MrClean

Most Eco Friendly stuff is mislabeled as Eco Relocation of Emissions. Then you have the losses due transportation of that energy, non recyclable Green stuff powered by Child Slave Labor. But HEY, it's "eco friendly".